So, I was going to do a Research Study....but

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2012, 12:24 am

I saw a research study for people with Depressive Disorder, and saw that they were going to do MRI scans of depressed brains in order to study brain structure in depressed individuals.

I didn't know all of that detail, but I knew that at first, I fit the bill for the people they were looking for.

Until I told them that I have Asperger's.

They told me (of course) that my brain structure would exclude me from the study. I understand. I'm just a little bummed because I wanted scans of my brain, dang it! I would have been paid for participation, too!

Now, they need to do a study on depression in autistic individuals. Sign me up, please...

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2012, 12:19 pm

Yeah, that's frustrating, isn't it? I have a similar problem with the required research participation for my psychology classes--you have to be a subject in an experiment or two for credit. You pick which experiments, or you can substitute a short paper (so they're not forcing you to participate)... Well, I've always had to do the papers, because being autistic keeps me from participating in most kinds of research, because it changes how I communicate, how I perceive sensory information, how I think and learn, and how I experience social situations. They don't want my outliers throwing them off, I guess.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2012, 12:39 pm

Interesting, does that mean they screen so that undiagnosed people don't participate?

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2012, 3:50 pm

I "participated" in research by having a chromosomal microarray. That's how they discovered I have 12 genes missing on my 16th chromosome. When they tested my parents, they discovered that the missing genes were a genetic accident which happened before conception. So, no one else in my family has the mutation, but I might pass it on to my own kids.

Of course, most people with my particular mutation have 25 genes missing, and I have a lot of eccentric relatives. Neuroatypicalities run in my family. So, to a much lesser extent, does autism. I just have a genetic mutation that "autiefies/ADHDfies" my neurodevelopmental difficulties.