Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Dec 2010
Age: 51
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,275
Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

03 Oct 2012, 10:01 pm

The second time I was unaware of the diagnosis until now, about four months later.

Think I should go for a third? :D



Smartalex
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 11 Apr 2012
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 260

03 Oct 2012, 10:07 pm

Third times a charm? :)

No, accept the fact or don't. I'd lean toward accepting the fact though.



Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Oct 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,023
Location: Walnut Creek/Concord, California

03 Oct 2012, 10:19 pm

I'd say accept it. It's a part of who you are.

Hell, in my opinion, being normal is boring! You'll just fade away with the crowd if you're normal!



Callista
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 10,775
Location: Ohio, USA

03 Oct 2012, 10:35 pm

Wait, you were "unaware of the diagnosis"? Did they not tell you? Shame on them for not letting you know something that important about yourself! Make them include you and explain to you what they diagnosed you with, why, and what that implies for therapy/treatment. How are you going to solve your problems if you don't have the information to properly define them?


_________________
Reports from a Resident Alien:
http://chaoticidealism.livejournal.com

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com


Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Nov 2011
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,604

03 Oct 2012, 10:56 pm

Hey me too! I was diagnosed as a child but my parents never told me since they didn't trust the diagnosis...then years later I was diagnosed when I went to another therapist for social issues. And I personally think twice is already two times too many haha



analyser23
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 20 Jan 2011
Age: 41
Gender: Female
Posts: 446

03 Oct 2012, 11:28 pm

How come it took so long to know about the second one?

I have been diagnosed twice also! I actually found it helpful.



League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 25,971
Location: Pacific Northwest

04 Oct 2012, 12:16 am

What was your second diagnoses?


_________________
Son: Diagnosed w/anxiety and ADHD. Also academic delayed.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.


daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jul 2009
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,001
Location: My own little world

04 Oct 2012, 12:23 am

I was kind of diagnosed twice too.....I went to have my childhood diagnosis confirmed. The new doctor is preparing a new diagnosis to fit with the new category that will soon exist (Autism Spectrum Disorder instead of Asperger's). I have so many other DX's though (learning disability, ADHD, generalized anxiety and "OCD traits") and now I'll have an ASD along with an AS. I have a veritable collection. :D



emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Sep 2012
Age: 31
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,065
Location: In my bed, on my laptop

04 Oct 2012, 12:25 am

I was kind of diagnosed twice with PDD-NOS. The first time was "off the record" when I was three and a half. The second time was "on the record" when I was 19.


_________________
Living with one neurodevelopmental disability which has earned me a few diagnosis'


Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Dec 2010
Age: 51
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,275
Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

04 Oct 2012, 4:22 am

Callista wrote:
Wait, you were "unaware of the diagnosis"? Did they not tell you? Shame on them for not letting you know something that important about yourself! Make them include you and explain to you what they diagnosed you with, why, and what that implies for therapy/treatment. How are you going to solve your problems if you don't have the information to properly define them?


I was seeing the psychiatrist for an evaluation about ADHD and possible meds. He did not tell me (nor did anyone else) but he also reaffirmed my AS diagnosis. Since I was already diagnosed last year and knew about it, it's not a problem. My actual issue will be dealing with my therapist tomorrow, as she wants to focus on one thing to deal with.

I would be curious as to why he rediagnosed me with AS, though. Would be interesting to know.



Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Dec 2010
Age: 51
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,275
Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

04 Oct 2012, 4:24 am

analyser23 wrote:
How come it took so long to know about the second one?

I have been diagnosed twice also! I actually found it helpful.


I never asked my case manager what the psychiatrist said. The appointment was to provide an evaluation of my ADHD as well as provide treatment and medication recommendations to my PCP. What we did discuss was that I would try Adderall since Ritalin was not helpful.

I found out from my attorney's letter to the appeals council for my SSI case. Mostly, it says the judge made a "correctable error" by ignoring every single medical professional who's seen me over the past two years, except for bits he cherry-picked from my PCP's files and something one person I saw once in 1996 said about whether she thought I could work or not.



Last edited by Verdandi on 04 Oct 2012, 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Dec 2010
Age: 51
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,275
Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

04 Oct 2012, 4:24 am

League_Girl wrote:
What was your second diagnoses?


Still AS, although he also affirmed the ADHD diagnosis as well.



StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Apr 2012
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,086
Location: Starship Voyager, somewhere in the Delta quadrant

08 Oct 2012, 1:29 am

Verdandi wrote:
The second time I was unaware of the diagnosis until now, about four months later.

Think I should go for a third? :D


I don't understand, how is it you weren't aware of the diagnosis? Did the diagnosing doctor forget to fill you in on his findings or something?


_________________
"Survival is insufficient" - Seven of Nine
Diagnosed with ASD level 1 on the 10th of April, 2014
Rediagnosed with ASD level 2 on the 4th of May, 2019
Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!


League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 25,971
Location: Pacific Northwest

08 Oct 2012, 1:30 am

StarTrekker wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
The second time I was unaware of the diagnosis until now, about four months later.

Think I should go for a third? :D


I don't understand, how is it you weren't aware of the diagnosis? Did the diagnosing doctor forget to fill you in on his findings or something?



Doctors don't always tell you what they diagnosed you with. I was once diagnosed with anorexia and I didn't find out until months later.


_________________
Son: Diagnosed w/anxiety and ADHD. Also academic delayed.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.


antifeministfrills
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 12 Aug 2012
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Posts: 191

08 Oct 2012, 2:37 am

League_Girl wrote:
StarTrekker wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
The second time I was unaware of the diagnosis until now, about four months later.

Think I should go for a third? :D


I don't understand, how is it you weren't aware of the diagnosis? Did the diagnosing doctor forget to fill you in on his findings or something?



Doctors don't always tell you what they diagnosed you with. I was once diagnosed with anorexia and I didn't find out until months later.


What tools



iSpy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 15 Jul 2009
Age: 48
Gender: Male
Posts: 150
Location: Kansas next to Kansas City

08 Oct 2012, 3:38 am

I been tested 3 times. 1988, 2009, and 2010 The 2009 one got deleted due to errors on it.
I did not know that I had Autism to 2009. And that is after the 1988 one shows up out of the blue.

You can read more from my site My web site
Note I am still working on the site but feel free to read it.




<<<<------------------------The info has gone that way!!------------------------>>>>


_________________
I am diagnosed with level 2 Autism
I am borderline low functioning & have a IQ of 68.
I am non verbal.
I have Muscular Dystrophy, & Seizures.
I use a power wheelchair full time.