How to stop eating junk food so quickly?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

LittleSwallow
Raven
Raven

04 Oct 2012, 5:49 am

I have moved from the countryside to a town so I am going through a phase of buying all my favourite treats in the world and wating thme all in one go, as I couldn't when I was living with my family, and also I am just excited about being near SO many shops. (I am living with my sis for the year for college)

But also I have a budget for money every week for the year form my mother as I can't get a job because my course is full on, and I don't want to be buying junk food all the time, then going ahead and eating it all in one go, because 1) bad for my health and 2) bad for my wallet.

So does anybody have any tips on how to make it my treats last longer? Don't say don't buy any more junk food, because I did that once, thought nothing else but only chocolate all day, and I even read in a health magazine that if you do that, you will crave it, and that a bit a day is ok.

But I want to ask here for advice since I am an Aspie and struggle enough trying to change habits, so need advice from anyone here.

Issit
Raven
Raven

04 Oct 2012, 6:08 am

Do not chew it, suck on it.

That way chocolate and other sweets will stay longer in your mouth.

With other foods- chew slowly and be present- do not watch TV or post. Just eat.
Same with those treats, though.

Also, you can buy canned corn and eat it slowly throughout the day, to keep sugar level stable,
that way you will get less cravings.
Or seeds or nuts.

Palakol
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Oct 2012, 6:51 am

I eat it as a treat after a full meal. Usually if I'm just left with potato chips and I haven't had dinner, I will house three full bags of it and feel bad afterwards that I finished all my chips. So what I do is I eat a full meal and have my chips when I'm not starving. Makes me eat less of it.

Maerlyn138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Oct 2012, 3:28 pm

Sunflower seeds keep me from snacking on anything sugary during the day.

Aspie score: 159 of 200 NT score: 64 of 200

N0tYetDeadFred
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Oct 2012, 4:05 pm

Eat more fat.

Your body will either get energy from fat or carbs. Fat makes you full, carbs make you hungry. Try avocados, bacon, eggs, etc.

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 6:41 pm

Drink a glass or two of water before eating any such snacks like that. The water is supposed to fill you in a way to help control you from overeating. I've tried it before meals during an overeating phase. It seemed to help reduce the amount of food I ate.

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 6:55 am

Limit yourself to how much you eat each day. Eat just a little bit of it, don't do it fast, take it slow and savour the flavor. I call it Diet Discipline... Works for me. Good luck!

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 7:12 am

Don't buy a large amount at one time and have it sitting around the house. Take a little stroll to the store each day and buy a single serving size treat--that way you'll get exercise AND limit your consumption.

musicforanna
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2012, 7:06 am

Maerlyn138 wrote:
Sunflower seeds keep me from snacking on anything sugary during the day.

Better yet, what I do as a snack, is I grab a yogurt (like a greek yogurt), and put sunflower nuts (or any kind of nuts) in it, stir it up, and you get the double satisfaction of more protein, but with the healthy fats of the nuts.

That sounds good, I might do that right now.

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2012, 8:42 am

Quote:
have moved from the countryside to a town so I am going through a phase of buying all my favourite treats in the world

^ this is the key, here where you say this. Stop buying junk food. Make a list of decent food (of your liking) buy it and make yourself eat it. After eating healthy meals you treat youself to one snack a couple snacks at most, maybe once a week. It's reasonable. And years from now you'll be glad you took care of yourself both mentally and physically. :)

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2012, 2:37 pm

N0tYetDeadFred wrote:
Eat more fat.

Your body will either get energy from fat or carbs. Fat makes you full, carbs make you hungry.

A-freaking-men.

to his Interest."

heatherbk
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Oct 2012, 3:17 pm

Don't go grocery shopping when your hungry. Always have some flavored yogurt handy (I highly recommend Greek yogurt) .That normally takes care of my sweet tooth :) Buy sorbet or italian ice instead of ice cream. Roasted green peas or pistachios are also good. One vice I cannot let go of is potato chips. I am a sucker for potato chips. If you must snack, buy smaller bags.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2012, 3:22 pm

Don't buy junk food- of course you had cravings all day the FIRST DAY after you stopped eating it.
Don't you think that's the case for any addiction?

to his Interest."