Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Jinks
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Oct 2012, 5:43 pm

I don't match up with that theory either... I am very right brain dominant and always have been (artist, creative, intuitive, interested in philosophical and spiritual things) and I have also always been extremely clumsy, awkward, terrible at sports, and have trouble with balance and posture. When I was a child I had to go to a chiropodist for quite a long time and do special exercises to correct my walk and posture.

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 7:30 pm

I'm right-sided. Ridiculously so. I even use my right eye, mostly. I've talked my CP before, and I'm sure it compounds how dependent I am on my right side, though my left side can "help out", so to speak.

I'm left brained. I'm logical, analytical, and scientific. Though, I enjoy drawing abstractly and listening to music. I don't think we strictly use one side of our brains or the other unless one side is missing.

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Oct 2012, 9:06 pm

I think my both hemispheres are equally developed. I'm right-handed, however, my right eye is dominant. I like arts, I can make some "arty" stuff (like music and graphics), but I can't read the musical score fluently.

On the other side I like programming. My special interest was creating computer games, so I had to learn everything about it: to create a computer game I needed to code it, make graphics, sound effects and music. Usually I was making everything simultaneously, it felt like I was creating a small world, which was always somehow functional (for example, you could move a camera around, then you could move the camera around the terrain, then you could move the camera around the terrain with trees, etc.).

Sometimes I need to use sort of creativity to create art-like things. I also feel certain emotions about them. Sometimes, when I code, I need to be more logical and emotionless (but my low frustration threshold leads me to "spectacular rage" with lots of swear words ;)). However, I think most of my programming work is done visually.

So, I think my both hemispheres are equally retar... I mean developed ;). Games are quite stimulating.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2012, 1:14 am

Here is a test to it:
http://www.wherecreativitygoestoschool. ... b_test.htm

I am, accourding to this test:

Left Brain 40%
Right Brain 60%

Your Left Brain Percentages

30% Logical (Your most dominant characteristic)
27% Sequential
25% Symbolic
20% Verbal
20% Reality-based
16% Linear (Your least dominant characteristic)

Your Right Brain Percentages

55% Concrete (Your most dominant characteristic)
44% Nonverbal
44% Fantasy-oriented
36% Holistic
23% Random
10% Intuitive (Your least dominant characteristic)

I think I'm a lot more intuitive than 10%, but not in that much in social situations because of the autism.

quaker
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2012, 2:14 am

Thank you everyone who has contributed so far.........I do value your efforts.

When I stop to reflect deeply on this issue I am able to see that I am very logical, systematic, detailed orientated, excessively routined, obsessed with facts and accumulating information, and yet, and this is the key to me being right-brained dominant, I integrate reality and by that only make deep Sence of it through images and visual thinking. Words only touch the surface, poetry, music, emotion and art touch my essence.

I have three all consuming special interests. One is bird watching, the other is Buddhist psychology and Highgate Cemetery in London, where I am a tour guide.

In Highgate Cemetery I can spend hours of time collecting the most mundane facts and information, yet the smell and poetry of the place makes my heart jump.

My bird watching is the same, the time I spend obsessing with identification and facts is incredible, but to be in the field and see the bird is something else. I saw a female sparrowhawk devour a finch at close range this week, in these moments I often reflect at how logic and rational thinking are nothing more than a mere menu for me, whereby the true meal, like the sparrowhawk, is in the experience of the present moment that words can only fail to touch.

It's interesting for me to reflect, that when I am anxious, I often fall back on my rational and obsessional aspects of my interests..........better to count the facts, than to count the worries. But to live life fully, words fail me time and time again, in contrast to the visual which brings things truly alive.

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2012, 5:53 am

Left Brain Right Brain
48% 52%

44% Sequential (Your most dominant characteristic)
42% Logical
22% Linear
20% Reality-based
9% Symbolic
0% Verbal (Your least dominant characteristic)

37% Concrete (Your most dominant characteristic)
36% Holistic
34% Random
29% Fantasy-oriented
25% Nonverbal
15% Intuitive (Your least dominant characteristic)

Each test seems to indicate a different result, sometimes I lean a bit more on the left than on the right, but this test seems to show to other way around.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2012, 5:55 am

Stalk wrote:
Each test seems to indicate a different result, sometimes I lean a bit more on the left than on the right, but this test seems to show to other way around.

Yes, but in your case they seem to be very close together, 52% to 48% so if you answer some questions slightly different or so, you'll get it the other way around. :D

AnotherKind
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2012, 6:46 am

65536 wrote:
I think my both hemispheres are equally developed.

People use the both hemispheres. I don't think right and left hemisphere could function alone. But the amount of information could be perceived differently if one is more dominant than the another. I think it has more to do with the width and lenght of corpus callosum (some lack of it (ACC)) but i'm not so sure. I have to do further research.

Raziel wrote:

Left Brain (49%)
Right Brain (51%)

35% Sequential (Your most dominant characteristic)
34% Symbolic
34% Logical
27% Linear
27% Reality-based
7% Verbal (Your least dominant characteristic)

38% Nonverbal
34% Random
32% Fantasy-oriented
18% Holistic
10% Intuitive (Your least dominant characteristic)

Almost all the time i'm on the middle. But I don't think these kind of tests are accurate enough.
And I think i'm very intuitive. The percentage is way too low.

dunya
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Oct 2012, 12:16 pm

Left Brain 56% Right Brain 44%

48% Linear (Your most dominant characteristic)
40% Sequential
25% Symbolic
25% Logical
20% Verbal
7% Reality-based (Your least dominant characteristic)

50% Nonverbal (Your most dominant characteristic)
29% Intuitive
24% Holistic
19% Concrete
17% Random
8% Fantasy-oriented (Your least dominant characteristic)

I use both sides of my brain and though I can perform tasks with both hands I favour my left hand.
I have poor balance and co-ordination. I am forgetful.
I like visiting cemeteries, the best are those that are left wild.
I use mental maps to find things or recall a route.
My obsessions change. Often I immerse in a topic as an escape from stress. If I am to buy something I need I'll research deeply on the item before I make the purchase.

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2012, 2:21 pm

I added the results of the test to my signature.

The complete evaluation, I'll put below:

43% Linear (Your most dominant characteristic)
35% Sequential
34% Logical
34% Reality-based
20% Verbal
17% Symbolic (Your least dominant characteristic)

37% Concrete (Your most dominant characteristic)
32% Nonverbal
30% Holistic
20% Fantasy-oriented
17% Random
15% Intuitive (Your least dominant characteristic)

musicforanna
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2012, 7:29 pm

I'm not really sure about my hemisphere dominance (I took the test and I came pretty close to even with a slight advantage to the left, at least for today). Because one day I'll think more one way, and another day, the pendulum will swing to me thinking another way. I just feel like my brain is a disorganized mess. One day I might be more logical, and concise about my thought process to where I just can't even find the words to describe what's going on in there except to think in pictures, I'm righty writing wise, but, on the other hand (DURRR bad pun) I'm lefty handed/coordinated at a lot of other activities (especially with being left-eye dominant). I'm the creative kind to where I'm able to draw, paint, write songs, play an instrument, and I can come up with these crazy descriptions of things and be very metaphorical on top of it. I'm just a mixed bag, and I think I can confuse people like crazy because of this. When it comes to sports, I generally stink at team sports, although I am good with yoga, my bicycle (when I was younger I used to hop ramps and do a few tricks), and I always loved rollerblading as a kid.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2012, 9:55 pm

Quote:
About this test | Disclaimer

Thank you for taking the Creativity Test. The results show your brain dominance as being:

Left Brain Right Brain
62% 38%

You are more left-brained than right-brained. Your left brain controls the right side of your body. In addition to being known as left-brained, you are also known as a critical thinker who uses logic and sense to collect information. You are able to retain this information through the use of numbers, words, and symbols. You usually only see parts of the "whole" picture, but this is what guides you step-by-step in a logical manner to your conclusion. Concise words, numerical and written formulas and technological systems are often forms of expression for you. Some occupations usually held by a left-brained person include a lab scientist, banker, judge, lawyer, mathematician, librarian, and skating judge.

Your complete evaluation follows below:

Your left brain/right brain percentage was calculated by combining the individual scores of each half's sub-categories. They are as follows:

48% Linear (Your most dominant characteristic)
38% Logical
34% Reality-based
17% Symbolic
14% Sequential
7% Verbal (Your least dominant characteristic)

46% Concrete (Your most dominant characteristic)
23% Random
20% Intuitive
19% Nonverbal
6% Holistic
4% Fantasy-oriented (Your least dominant characteristic)

What Do These Percentages Mean?
Low percentages are common in the Brain Type Test and are not indicative of intelligence. Instead, medium to high scores (30 - 50%) are desireable, as they show an ability to utilize a processing method without an abnormal reliance on it. Special focus should be paid to highly dominant (50% or above) or highly recessive (0 - 30%) methods, as they tend to limit your approach when learning, memorizing, or solving problems.

If you have Highly Dominant characteristics, your normal thinking patterns will naturally utilize these methods. Conscious effort is required to recognize the benefits of other techniques. Using multiple forms of information processing is the best way to fully understand complex issues and become a balanced thinker.

If you have Highly Recessive characteristics, your normal thinking patterns naturally ignore these methods. You may only consider these under-utilized techniques when "all else fails," or possibly not at all. It is important to recognize the benefits of all of your brain's capabilities in order to become a balanced thinker.

Left Brain Categories

Linear Processing
Linear processing is a method by the left hemisphere to process information. In this process, the left brain takes pieces of information, lines them up, and proceeds to arrange them into an order from which it may draw a conclusion. The information is processed from parts to a whole in a straight, forward, and logical progression.

Your Linear Analysis

When processing information using this method, you will occasionally feel the need to see the "whole picture" before you are able to achieve results. At other times, you are able to piece all of the parts together in a straight and logical progression to form a whole, which then enables you to understand what you have processing. The information, your mood, and your level of comfortable are all factors that determine your response to a linear processing problem.

Logical Processing
Logical processing is a method that is used by the left hemisphere to take information piece by piece and put it all together to form a logical answer. When information is received through reading or listening, the left hemisphere will look for different bits of information that will allow it to produce a logical conclusion. This aspect of the left hemisphere is what aids you in solving math problems and science experiments.

Your Logical Analysis

When processing information using this method, you may consider the information before you and produce a logical answer, or you may tend to go with your gut. You may discover that you can "guess" your way through S.A.T. questions about as accurately as you can deduce them. It is important that you nurture your ability to use logic whenever it is needed, but do not neglect other methods of processing information if you hit a logical roadblock.

Reality-based Processing
Reality-based processing is used by the left hemisphere as a method for processing information with a basis on reality. This processing tool focuses on rules and regulations. An example of this would be how a left-brained person would completely understand the repercussions of turning in a late assignment or failing a test. A left-brained person also usually easily adjusts to changes in their environment.

Your Reality-based Analysis

You process information with a basis in reality, but are not limited to it. You may recognize the repercussions of you actions, but proceed to do something anyway, in the heat of the moment. You can complete projects to whice you are emotionally attached as well as random tasks.

Symbolic Processing
Symbolic processing is a method associated with the left hemisphere that is used for processing the information of pictures and symbols. The majority of functions associated with academics involve symbols such as letters, words, and mathematical notations. This process is what aids you to excel in tasks such as linguistics, mathematics, and memorizing vocabulary words and mathematical formulas.

Your Symbolic Analysis

You have difficulty processing the information of symbols, and would rather see the real object in order to understand. You probably hated algebra. For example, if solving a math problem, you need to "draw out" the problem to understand and solve it. You rely on the visualization of real objects instead of their symbols. Tasks such as memorizing vocabulary words or mathematical formulas are more difficult for you.

Sequential Processing
Sequential processing is a method used by the left hemisphere for processing information. The information that is received is processed in order from first to last. Information is processed in a systematic, logical manner. Through sequential processing, you can interpret and produce symbolic information such as language, mathematics, abstraction, and reasoning. This process is used to store memory in a language format. Activities that require sequential processing include spelling, making a "to-do" list, and many aspects of organization.

Your Sequential Analysis

You tend process information you receive without any priority as to which is processed first, last, or any place in between. It is difficult for you to learn or perform tasks involving sequence. For example, spelling is a task that involves sequence and you may experience problems remembering exact spelling or any type of rote memorization, for that matter. Creating daily lists and plans are probably not activities you enjoy. If you are having problems with tasks involving sequence, there are methods you can use to improve your skills. One method involves using colors to learn sequence. You assign a color to each task. For example, you may want to make the first step green, the second step blue, and the last step red. This helps because the right side of the brain, your dominant side in this case, is sensitive to colors. The important thing to remember is that consistently using the same sequence will help you both improve and recognize that this strategy can be used in many different circumstances involving sequence.

Verbal Processing
Verbal processing is a method used by the left hemisphere to process our thoughts and ideas with words. For example, through verbal processing, a left-brained person giving directions may say, "From this point continue east for two miles and turn north onto Bellevue Road. Continue north on Bellevue Road for seven miles and turn west on Main Street". With verbal processing, exact, logical directions are given in a very sequential manner compared to a right-brained person who, in giving the same directions, would use more visual landmarks.

Your Verbal Analysis

You are not a verbal person. When you process your thoughts, you tend to use very few words, preferring instead to illustrate a problem or solution. You often find yourself in situations where it is hard for you to "find the right words." Upon reading or hearing new information, you must first create a "mental video" before you can process and understand the information of your thoughts. For example, when giving directions, you probably use many gestures with your hands such as pointing and leaning, and also refer to visual structures such as "a McDonalds" or "the big tree" instead of street names or exact mileage.

Right Brain Categories

Concrete Processing
Concrete processing is a method associated with the right hemisphere that is used for processing things that can be seen or touched. It processes much of the information you receive from real objects. For example, a right-brained person is not just satisfied that a mathematical formula may work, but will want to know why it works. A strongly concrete person often finds it easier to solve a mathematical problem by "drawing it out" because it allows them to visualize it. The more a concrete person can visualize something the easier it is for them to understand it.

Your Concrete Analysis

At times, you feel the need to see a real object in order to understand it. At other times, you are able to understand a problem on a symbolic level. For example, you may find that in solving math problems, it occasionally helps you to "draw out" the problem in order to understand and solve it.

Random Processing
Random processing is a method used by the right hemisphere for processing information. The information that is received is processed without priority. A right-brained person will usually jump from one task to another due to the random processing by their dominant right hemisphere. Random processing is, of course, the opposite of sequential processing therefore making it difficult for right-brained individuals to choose to learn in sequence. In order to overcome this, a right-brained person may want to attempt to learn sequence by using colors since the right hemisphere is sensitive to color. For example, you may want to associate the first step with green, the second step with blue, and the last step with red. Consistently using the same sequence will allow you to see that this strategy can be applied to many tasks involving sequence.

Your Random Analysis

You tend to not process data randomly, preferring instead to follow a systematic, logical order from first to last. You have difficulty making "leaps of logic" which prevents you from making unique discoveries, or adapt to change during your thinking process.

Intuitive Processing
Intuitive processing is a method that is used by the right hemisphere to process information based on if it "feels" right or not. For example, a right-brained person may choose an answer on a test because they had a "gut" feeling and often they will be correct. Another example of this is how a right-brained person will know the correct answer to a math problem but will not understand the procedure of how they arrived at the correct answer. A right-brained person will usually have to start with the answer and work their way backwards in order to be able to see and understand the parts and process that create the whole.

Your Intuitive Analysis

When you process information using this method, you do not rely on "gut" feelings but take the information and put it together piece by piece to form your conclusions. You often look at all of the different bits of information before piecing together your solution. You probably excel in such tasks as solving math problems and performing science experiments, because the intuitive method is not needed.

Nonverbal Processing
Nonverbal processing is a method used by the right hemisphere to process our thoughts with illustrations. Reliance on this method is why it is occasionally difficult for right-brained people to "find the right words" in certain situations. A right-brained person cannot just read or hear information and process it, but first must make a mental video to better understand the information they have received. For example, through nonverbal processing, a person giving directions may say, "Continue going straight until you see a big, red-brick courthouse. At the courthouse turn right, and go down that street for a couple of miles until you se a gray stone church which will be on your right. Straight across from the church is the road to the left you need to take." With nonverbal processing, the directions that are given are extremely visual compared to the exact, sequential directions that would be given by a left-brained person.

Your Nonverbal Analysis

You have little ability in nonverbal processing. When you process your thoughts and ideas you mainly use words instead of illustrations. For example, if you were giving directions you may say, "Continue traveling west for 3 miles and turn north at the intersection." You would give exact, logical directions in a very sequential manner.

Holistic Processing
Holistic processing is a method used by the right hemisphere to process information. The information is processed from whole to parts. A right-brained person, through holistic processing, is able to see the big picture first, but not the details that accompany it. A strongly holistic person may often find that prior to listening to a lecture given by an instructor, they must first read the chapter so that they better understand what the lecture is about. This function is also what provides to you your visual spatial skills. It also aids in tasks such as dancing and gymnastics. Through holistic processing, memory is stored in auditory, visual, and spatial modalities.

Your Holistic Analysis

You have difficulty seeing the whole picture, especially at the beginning of a project. You tend to process information you receive from its parts to its whole in a straight, progressive manner. When given a task, you tend to not bother asking "why," but instinctively are able to do it.

Fantasy-oriented Processing
Fantasy-oriented processing is used by the right hemisphere as a method for processing information with creativity. It focuses much less on rules and regulations than the processing method of a left-brained person. Due to the fantasy-oriented processing mechanism of a right-brained person, they do not adjust well to change. Instead of adapting to the change in the environment, a right-brained person attempts to change it back to the way they liked it. But fantasy-oriented processing also provides the advantage of creativity to right-brained individuals, and since emotion is integral of the right side of the brain, anything a fantasy-oriented person becomes involved in emotionally will aid their ability to learn.

Your Fantasy-oriented Analysis

You have a low ability to process information in a fantasy-oriented way. You have the tendency to focus on rules and regulations rather than on creative approaches. You generally do not have a problem adjusting to change in the environment. You may lack creativity, but you do not need to become emotionally involved in tasks in order to complete them.

Disclaimer: The information in the Test (the Test) is published for the sole purpose of intellectual stimulation, education and general knowledge. In no way is the Test to be considered a complete or fully accurate psychological portrait. The Art Institutes and EDMC do not hold any responsibility or liability for your use of the Test or its results. Full Disclaimer

From what I read this is not a very coherent picture. May be because I didn't knew what to answer to a lot of the questions. Is there other tests to know what hemisphere is dominant?

westcoastmama
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Oct 2012, 10:10 pm

I might have missed seeing any discussion on left and right HOOK writers with Apergers.
This, I think, is an extremely interesting subject.

........USUALLY.... as you all know

a right handed writer is usually left-brain dominant.
" left-handed writer " " right-brain dominant

BUT THERE IS AN EXCEPTION TO THE RULE

They found out working with stroke patients who exhibited different areas of brain damage .........
that right-HOOKED writers are RIGHT-brain dominant....

which means......

if a person is right handed but writes with a HOOKED RIGHT hand
(meaning if I am left alone I will NOT keep my wrist straight like a good little student when I write)
but I will hook my right wrist and write back-hand.

Also, similarly
a left HOOKED writer is LEFT- brain dominant.

This makes for some facinating extreme people like myself lol.

Pompei
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Oct 2012, 11:19 pm

I am confused handed, not ambidextrous because I have handed preferences that vary depending on the task. I am able to write with either hand but usually write right handed. I open jars and use a mouse left handed. I shoot pool left handed but can shoot right handed too but much less skillfully. I shoot a rifle left handed only. I clap right handed. If I am painting I usually start with my right hand but when I get tired I switch to my left with a small loss of accuracy. I throw a baseball right handed only. Sometimes I don't know what hand to use. Just for fun when I shave I switch hands.

I am left brained, good at math, science, logic and reason. I have barely noticeable coordination problems. Most people do not see them but my balance has never been great and I have had frequent accidents that put me into the emergency room. I am a horrible dancer. I would rather set my hair on fire than go dancing.

Left Brain 54%
Right Brain 46%

46% Logical (Your most dominant characteristic)
42% Symbolic
32% Linear
27% Verbal
14% Sequential
14% Reality-based (Your least dominant characteristic)
34% Random
24% Holistic
24% Intuitive
24% Fantasy-oriented
0% Nonverbal (Your least dominant characterist

Last edited by Pompei on 26 Oct 2012, 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PTSmorrow
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2012, 2:32 am

westcoastmama wrote:
I might have missed seeing any discussion on left and right HOOK writers with Apergers.
This, I think, is an extremely interesting subject.

........USUALLY.... as you all know

a right handed writer is usually left-brain dominant.
" left-handed writer " " right-brain dominant

BUT THERE IS AN EXCEPTION TO THE RULE

They found out working with stroke patients who exhibited different areas of brain damage .........
that right-HOOKED writers are RIGHT-brain dominant....

which means......

if a person is right handed but writes with a HOOKED RIGHT hand
(meaning if I am left alone I will NOT keep my wrist straight like a good little student when I write)
but I will hook my right wrist and write back-hand.

Also, similarly
a left HOOKED writer is LEFT- brain dominant.

This makes for some facinating extreme people like myself lol.

That's an interesting theory, however it would mean that I am the exception of the exception, left handed, left brain dominant, write with straight wrist but almost from top to bottom so what would normally be the right side of the pad comes pretty close to the lower edge of the table. So far as I know I never had a stroke.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2012, 7:15 am

It's an interesting thought. I have NVLD, so I (likely) have right brain hemisphere damage. Oddly enough, on almost all the tests I test either right brain dominant or 50/50 split exactly. Sometimes 52/50 towards left or right. On the random famous test with the dancer I'm right brain dominant.

As far as body coordination, I'm not sure. I'm not great, I've had bad posture since forever and only recently fixed it. I used to stare at my feet when walking, skating fixed that as I can't stare at my skates or my balance gets all messed up. I don't believe I'm naturally well coordinated, but at the same time, I do believe I have a bit of hyperfocus I can use at certain times that will make me better than average, albeit for a short time. I remember field day in elementary school, I oddly enough did fairly good on the balance beam, and a random test where I had to throw bean bags at bottles. And as far as balance, I have an odd problem where I'm basically too far forward. I walk a lot off the balls of my feet, probably an evolved form of tiptoe walking. It made me end up with giant legs and a tiny upper body. In the gym, my first time squatting ever, I managed to parallel squat 225, but then benching I could barely do 95.

Fine motor skills I have some problems with, too. I didn't learn to tie my shoes until like 3rd grade. I was assessed for developmental disorders in preschool, that being a big reason. I just couldn't understand tying shoes. Also, I work on cars and understand how they work, but the real life work of them is hard. My biggest problem working on cars is knowing left and right when trying to loosen a bolt. Like I know left and right obviously, if it's like - - but then bolts add like, multiple axis if you would. So like, brakepad changing is a huge example of this. One side in my mind turns "right" and the other side turns "left" but they're both actually the same threads and it's just the other sides of the car. Also I failed algebra horribly. But then when I was switched from algebra to business math/record keeping, I did really well.

As far as non physical things, I've always been religious in some capacity. I went through a period of agnosticism for a while, but yeah. Maybe something specific to right brain. Going possibly with the religious thing, things like water powered cars, Nikola Tesla, alternative medicine, etc tend to intrigue me a good deal. I have a friend DXed with Aspergers who tends to write off esoteric sorta things like that a lot due to "logic" but I'm more likely to give weird things like that a chance, usually with good results.