Great Britain, where children starve to death.

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 5:14 am

http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/care/chi ... 52.article

Quote:
The government has been warned it must urgently fix flaws in its support system for successful asylum seekers, after a destitute child starved to death in temporary accommodation in Westminster.

Further tragedies are increasingly likely as more asylum claims are processed while support funding dries up, organisations claim.

Details of the tragic circumstances surrounding the death of ‘child EG’ and the unrelated death of his mother ‘Mrs G’ surfaced in a serious case review and a letter sent to the government by child safety experts at Westminster Council, a flagship Conservative borough.

The case review found that the family had become dependent on ‘ad hoc’ charitable handouts despite a successful asylum claim because of ‘significant problems’ transferring the family from Home Office to mainstream welfare support services.

The family of three was forced to ‘actually become homeless’ before local authorities could offer official help, it added.

We'll be back at the workhouses soon. If we're lucky.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 9:51 am

Are there no workhouses?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 9:59 am

I get the impression, from reading other sites, that there's more to this story than one would think. This particular baby seems to have been quite vulnerable, for a start.

The full facts aren't anywhere near being out yet.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 10:08 am

Tequila wrote:
I get the impression, from reading other sites, that there's more to this story than one would think. This particular baby seems to have been quite vulnerable, for a start.

The full facts aren't anywhere near being out yet.

doesnt that only make any neglect all the more serious?

or is it okay for them to die because they are weak?

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 10:13 am

Oodain wrote:
doesnt that only make any neglect all the more serious?

or is it okay for them to die because they are weak?

It probably makes it a lot more difficult and intensive to care for them.

You can't expect the state to be competent, surely? Now you're asking for far too much. You'll be demanding decent care for the elderly from the NHS next.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 10:23 am

why be facetious?

i dont expect any single human to be competent all the time, i do expect the state to minimize that effect in their system, as they should and often do(at least here in denmark), that we can never eliminate it completely only means there will always be room for improvement.

regarding the british health system, it has suffered more than most european health systems that i know of in the crisis, but a lot of that happened because of privatization(a move from using privat buisness from a support role to a primary actor) so what do you propose instead?

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 11:04 am

Quite. The state is perfectly capable of being competent, where it is designed and allowed to function for people.

There is nothing a priori wrong with the state that would suggest expected incompetence. What can shape its behaviour are the rules it has, and the general environment people are working in. Within Britain the elderly are generally thought of badly, if at all. It is no surprise to see this attitude bleed into even areas of work that supposedly care for them.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 4:25 pm

They should provide fish and chips for everyone! :D On a more serious note maybe America should donate food to Great Britain instead of waste it on 3rd world countries that hate us.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 5:44 pm

Tequila wrote:
This particular baby seems to have been quite vulnerable, for a start.

That makes it okay, huh?

05 Oct 2012, 9:58 pm

So WTF is wrong with Great Britain these days??? I mean, besides the muzzies which Tequila whines about constantly..... :lol:

If what you say it true, Hopper, then your country is facing a crisis as great as during the 2nd World War. Clearly something has to be done and I'm surprised there isn't the kind of pre-revolutionary riots that are taking place in Greece.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 10:18 pm

it happens in the us as well, some schools have to seek help from volunteer organizations and sponsors to feed kids, that is even when there is federal help for it as far as i can tell.

Quote:
Food Insecurity

16.7 million children lived in food insecure households in 2011. i
20% or more of the child population in 36 states and D.C. lived in food insecure households in 2010. The District of Columbia (30.7%) and Oregon (29.0%) had the highest rates of children in households without consistent access to food. ii
In 2010, the top five states with the highest rate of food insecure children under 18 are the District of Columbia, Oregon, Arizona, New Mexico, & Florida. iii
In 2010, the top five states with the lowest rate of food insecure children under 18 are North Dakota, New Hampshire, Virginia, Minnesota, & Massachusetts. iv

Emergency Food Assistance

Nearly 14 million children are estimated to be served by Feeding America, over 3 million of which are ages 5 and under. v
Proper nutrition is vital to the growth and development of children. 62 percent of client households with children under the age of 18 reported participating in the National School Lunch Program, but only 14 percent reported having a child participate in a summer feeding program that provides free food when school is out. vi
54 percent of client households with children under the age of 3 participated in the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC). vii
32 percent of pantries, 42 percent of kitchens, and 18 percent of shelters in the Feeding America network reported "many more children in the summer" being served by their programs. viii

Poverty

In 2011, 16.1 million or approximately 22 percent of children in the U.S. lived in poverty. ix

Participation in Federal Nutrition Programs

In fiscal year 2010, 47 percent of all SNAP participants were children. x
During the 2011 federal fiscal year, more than 31 million low-income children received free or reduced-price meals through the National School Lunch Program. xi
Unfortunately, just 2.3 million children participated in the Summer Food Service Program that same year. xii

thge situation might have improved but with the political situation in the us leading up to an election that seems doubtfull.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 11:58 pm

Cameron is total evil. I keep expecting new outrages from his misrule every day! He who was boasting of the great profits corporations stood to gain from prison labour, he who pridefully praised the proliferation of food banks!

JNathanK
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2012, 12:39 am

Well at least there's enough money to go around to make sure the royal family can stay in Buckingham Palace for being related to a bunch of psychopaths who used to enslave 99% of the population.

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2012, 3:24 am

AspieRogue wrote:
So WTF is wrong with Great Britain these days??? I mean, besides the muzzies which Tequila whines about constantly..... :lol:

If what you say it true, Hopper, then your country is facing a crisis as great as during the 2nd World War. Clearly something has to be done and I'm surprised there isn't the kind of pre-revolutionary riots that are taking place in Greece.

It's Capitalism, innit. Human life only has cash value.

I've read my Thomas Frank, and he saw Republicans withdrawing funding from (and badmouthing) state functions and, after the predictable f**k ups that occur, saying 'see, the state is crap. Let's get rid of it and entrust everything to Wall Street and MegaCorp". That's what's going on in the UK. I think it's a kamikaze operation. Slash and burn, and they don't mind too much if they go up in flames themselves. The Tories will try to get back into power, but even if they don't it doesn't matter as they'll have effectively hollowed out the state and sold off the profitable functions to their friends. The f*****s should be shot for treason.

The opposition is itself worse than useless, given they concede to just about everything the government are doing but suggest they should maybe perhaps be a little more gentle about it. There's opposition amongst the public, but given the flood of propaganda from the right wing media it can struggle to find exposure, a public sense that 'no, you're not a lone, a lot of people are angry about this'. Political dialogue is basically, "You don't want us to cut up and sell of the NHS? What would you suggest then? Communism!? Fnaw, fnaw!". There'll be more protests and riots yet - that's one fine tradition we have.