Anyone else find T.V comedy programs hard to understand?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

qwertyuiop1994
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Oct 2012, 4:19 am

I was watching a comedy program last night (Miranda if anyone knows it) and I just didn't understand any of the humour. I just took it literally, got angry that I didn't get it and went to bed. Does anyone else not understand these programs? :)

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

06 Oct 2012, 4:41 am

Some shows I get, like Seinfeld. But there are some I feel that I just don't get. So you're not alone.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2012, 5:54 am

I saw the episode on BBC last night. There isn't really anything to 'get' in that show, it's just very silly. Some of it doesn't make any sense at all, and I don't think it does to anyone (I've watched it with NTs and they feel the same). It's just a very odd show, all in all.

I get some comedies but not others. I really struggle with dramas because I never know what the people are feeling and I find it difficult to understand why they would do certain things. I need things that really spell out what is happening, like 'How I Met Your Mother' which is a US show (although it makes me a bit sad about not having proper friends).

qwertyuiop1994
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Oct 2012, 6:16 am

Yes I'm the same It's really hard to understand how the people are feeling unless they're smiling or crying If they're not doing that It takes me a while to get why they're doing something.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2012, 9:15 am

I don't understand a lot of tv humour, no. It depends what show it is though. Don't try to make me watch Friends, Seinfeld or those kinds of shows.

jlym
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Oct 2012, 2:20 pm

qwertyuiop1994 wrote:
I was watching a comedy program last night (Miranda if anyone knows it) and I just didn't understand any of the humour. I just took it literally, got angry that I didn't get it and went to bed. Does anyone else not understand these programs? :)

Watch The Big Bang Theory, it's funny and it's okay to take things literally because one of the main characters (Sheldon) is like that, so of course they explain things for him. =)

Emotional Intelligence: 60/100

Most likely an Aspie or on the spectrum...

qwertyuiop1994
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Oct 2012, 2:41 pm

^^ yes I quite like the big bang theory as I like physics but because people at school call me Sheldon I've been somewhat distant from the program recently.

jlym
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Oct 2012, 4:20 pm

qwertyuiop1994 wrote:
^^ yes I quite like the big bang theory as I like physics but because people at school call me Sheldon I've been somewhat distant from the program recently.

LOL what's wrong with being compared to Sheldon?? I love him =) Take it as a compliment!

Emotional Intelligence: 60/100

Most likely an Aspie or on the spectrum...

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2012, 4:24 am

qwertyuiop1994 wrote:

My family compare me to Sheldon, but in a nice way and I don't mind. It's helped my family understand about why I want to sit in the same place on the sofa, eat the same thing etc. It gives them a way of making the situation more light hearted, whereas in the past my Dad in particular would get quite exasperated with me.

eelektrik
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2012, 5:16 am

Most sitcoms, I can't stand, because I actually do notice the attempts at humor. The punchlines are obvious, or so forced, I simply don't find it funny. It's like, okay, I see what you were thought was funny and what you thought would make me laugh, it just didn't.

So I really don't understand how shows like Two and a Half Men get so many viewers.

Also, how is How I Met Your Mother still on the air? The concept barely should sustain a single-season or at best, a movie, and its on what, eight seasons now? If you are trying to tell the story to your child of how you met his Mom, why the hell would they go on and on about eight years worth of failed relationships first? They should be talking about what they were doing at the time they met, where they were working/going to school/whatever, things actually relevant to how they end up meeting and where. The only excuse for including a previous relationship is if that person somehow introduced them to the person they eventually had kids with. I mean, if my parents were telling me such a story and it was just going on pointlessly I would have to interrupt and be like 'And this is relevant because?'. It is an entire show about not getting to the point. Just watch the Series Finale and that's all you ever need to watch of that show. And yet its also ridiculously popular.

I think that is why my favorite sitcom is Arrested Development. Not only do I like the dry sarcastic sense of humor better, it also actually had an ongoing plot(Also it is getting a 4th season through NetFlix next year), unlike most sitcoms which are 30 minutes of pointlessness with bad jokes.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2012, 2:04 pm

eelektrik wrote:
Most sitcoms, I can't stand, because I actually do notice the attempts at humor. The punchlines are obvious, or so forced, I simply don't find it funny. It's like, okay, I see what you were thought was funny and what you thought would make me laugh, it just didn't.

So I really don't understand how shows like Two and a Half Men get so many viewers.

Also, how is How I Met Your Mother still on the air? The concept barely should sustain a single-season or at best, a movie, and its on what, eight seasons now? If you are trying to tell the story to your child of how you met his Mom, why the hell would they go on and on about eight years worth of failed relationships first? They should be talking about what they were doing at the time they met, where they were working/going to school/whatever, things actually relevant to how they end up meeting and where. The only excuse for including a previous relationship is if that person somehow introduced them to the person they eventually had kids with. I mean, if my parents were telling me such a story and it was just going on pointlessly I would have to interrupt and be like 'And this is relevant because?'. It is an entire show about not getting to the point. Just watch the Series Finale and that's all you ever need to watch of that show. And yet its also ridiculously popular.

I think that is why my favorite sitcom is Arrested Development. Not only do I like the dry sarcastic sense of humor better, it also actually had an ongoing plot(Also it is getting a 4th season through NetFlix next year), unlike most sitcoms which are 30 minutes of pointlessness with bad jokes.

I failed to get into both Two And A Half Men and How I Met Your Mother, though many people I hold in high regard find both shows hilarious. My problem with HIMYM is the same as yours, eelektrik, though I guess I could appreciate that they keep up the premise if you suspend your disbelief and just view it as a bit of a meta thing.
Two And A Half Men... I wanted to like it because it featured Sheen and Cryer, whose performances I loved in Hot Shots!, but I guess I just found it too tame for my tastes if that makes sense? At that point I had seen many different flavours of sitcom, both family shows like Cosby Show and Full House, more cynical shows like One Foot In The Grave and Ned & Stacy, absurd shows like Titus and Off Centre. Two And A Half Men fell squarely into the category of 'seen it, been there, done that'.

I should say I honestly have no problem with sitcoms in general. I've enjoyed a great many of them, but they just don't do it for me anymore like they used to. The last one I enjoyed was 30 Rock. Yeah, so sue me. It made me laugh.