T-Mobile Mobile Broadband Port Blocking!! ! >:(

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2012, 8:48 am

Hey!
I have a server I need to connect to ASAP..... T-Mobile Mobile broadband have blocked the port I use to connect to it though.... I get the error: Java.Net.SocketException. If I am not mistaken doesnt that mean the port is blocked?
I can telnet into it though... Whats going on?
Do T-Mobile think that for some reason port 25565 can be used to hack the FBI or something?
-_-

pavelow
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Oct 2012, 9:12 am

You can use http://www.canyouseeme.org/ to check if the port is blocked, if it is, there are some options I can think of to get around it.. but they require either a vpn or access to a shell server that allows you to port forward. which I'm not sure you have at your disposal... and it's not that it's a bad port (am assuming you're trying to connect to a minecraft server (25565 + java exceptions)), just alot of overzealous firewalls only allow known ports like 80,445,22 etc to make the system more secure.

EDIT 0:
If it's not port blocking (and still assuming this is minecraft), there is a thread here on the error that might help http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/141 ... ion-reset/

EDIT 1:
If you can telnet to it on the same port then it's not blocked.

EDIT 2:
After some research, It looks as though it is blocked for T-mobile.
If you can ssh into the box, and have tcp forwarding enabled on the remote host, you should be able to do a local forward of port 25565
(assuming you're using openssh under linux)

Quote:
ssh <host> -L 25565:127.0.0.1:25565

then connect to 127.0.0.1:25565 from your application and it should work.

if using windows, you can achieve the same thing with putty.

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2012, 12:01 pm

pavelow wrote:
You can use http://www.canyouseeme.org/ to check if the port is blocked, if it is, there are some options I can think of to get around it.. but they require either a vpn or access to a shell server that allows you to port forward. which I'm not sure you have at your disposal... and it's not that it's a bad port (am assuming you're trying to connect to a minecraft server (25565 + java exceptions)), just alot of overzealous firewalls only allow known ports like 80,445,22 etc to make the system more secure.

EDIT 0:
If it's not port blocking (and still assuming this is minecraft), there is a thread here on the error that might help http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/141 ... ion-reset/

EDIT 1:

EDIT 2:
If you can ssh into the box, and have tcp forwarding enabled on the remote host, you should be able to do a local forward of port 25565
Quote:

Looks like T-Mobile dont like you SSHing into servers either :(
I cant SSH into anything at all unless its local.... D:

pavelow
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Oct 2012, 12:22 pm

ouch... unless you could get sshd to listen on port 80 on the remote host XD ?? but you need access to the configs to do that, you mentioned that you can telnet into it? maybe not the most secure way to do it but you could reconfigure stuff via that?... seems weird that they would block ssh ports but not telnet ones :?

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2012, 12:25 pm

pavelow wrote:
ouch... unless you could get sshd to listen on port 80 on the remote host XD ?? but you need access to the configs to do that, you mentioned that you can telnet into it? maybe not the most secure way to do it but you could reconfigure stuff via that?... seems weird that they would block ssh ports but not telnet ones :?

Yeah :(
Il have to try that then! Thanks :)
i might even call them to ask to unlock the port if they can :(

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2012, 12:39 pm

Madbones wrote:
pavelow wrote:

EDIT 0:

EDIT 1:

EDIT 2:
Quote:

Looks like T-Mobile dont like you SSHing into servers either :(
I cant SSH into anything at all unless its local.... D:

Depy derp derpdy derp!
Typed it in wrong... SSH does work but my MC server wont allow me to connect to it via ssh to enable TCP forwarding. I had the host to enable it on my server. Probably needed the port to connect to it coming to think of it... Any ideas how to use normal SSH with a port?

pavelow
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Oct 2012, 1:25 pm

open ssh with a port, am assuming this is what you mean? >>

Quote:
ssh <host> -p <port>

and add forwarding stuff to the end if needed