Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

MaKin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Oct 2012, 5:49 pm

is there a link between asperger's and a higher likelihood of having allergies?

iggy64
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Oct 2012, 6:00 pm

Personally, I don't have any allergies that I know about. I think quite a lot of aspies suffer from allergies like hayfever etc because they are just hypersensitive to triggers so mild allergies tend to cause more severe symptoms. Not that I've experienced this, so it's just me guessing a bit really :p

Visha9000
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Oct 2012, 6:09 pm

Im alergic to polen, chemicals, some types of oil and cleaning agents, grass, some plants, artificial sents, pennisilin and sulfa. Im intoleren to glare, tomotos, gluton, lacose.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2012, 6:23 pm

im allergic to oak and maple pollen

Filipendula
Toucan
Toucan

06 Oct 2012, 6:36 pm

I'm not that far onto the spectrum, but I am allergic to tons of stuff (atopic). I also have a book about autism theory which suggests there is a link (I'm sure I sure a dubious contradiction too though I'm probably mistaken). I was planning to post what it says here since I thought it might be of interest, however I seem to have left my Kindle at work so I can't reference it right now. Send me a PM to remind me if you're interested in me looking it up for you.

P.S. I'm sat here wheezing my life away right now because my lungs seems to have taken a recent dislike to my sofa. I've had to retreat to the other side of the room even though we've just had all the sofa covers washed to try and sort it out.

RDOS Aspie score: 115/200; NT score: 79/200

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Oct 2012, 6:52 pm

I was a quite heavily allergic child, but now I have mild allergies. Also, I feel more like having "full-blown ADD + some AS symptoms + some schizoid symptoms" instead of having "full-blown AS".

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Oct 2012, 7:21 pm

I have seasonal allergies that are worse at the beginning of spring and fall. When I was younger I took allergy shots, but I am now allergic to the allergy shots. I am one week into a bout with allergy now.

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2012, 7:42 pm

I've had hay fever since I was four or five, and that runs in the family, along with eccentricity.

However, my particular autism/ADD-causing gene mutation wasn't hereditary (I can give it to my kids, but I didn't get it from my parents), so I can't say whether or not allergies and autism are related.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2012, 8:20 pm

I have allergies to sulfa drugs and hydrocodone, and have sinus drainage year - round cuz I live in a valley area. Also, dust makes me sneeze sometimes, if there's a lot of it in the air. :oops:

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes