Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

EmmaMom
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Dec 2006, 8:50 am

Just wonderding, my teenage Aspie has been exposed to music lots but has no interest in listening to it on her own. If we have music in the home it's from me playing it. Most teens are into music and all the latest hits but my daughter is unique in this way (notice I don't say different as I would have before this site.)

The music she can listen to once I have it playing is the more mellow. Maroon 5, John Mayer, Jack Johnson. She did like 'I am a Man, a real religious man" from the movie "Nacho Libre" that we just saw.

I will continue to play music in the home and know if there is something that disturbs her..too loud, too rock.., just turn it off but wanted to hear if anyone finds this familiar.

logitechdog
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2006, 12:06 pm

I'm not into the latest hits and all that other yada yada flock fallowing I am unequal I fallow my own ways.

I know I only listen to music that I like and feel relaxed to than ones that are just noise mainly depends on the song and the genres - music affects people in different way's...

walk-in-the-rain
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2006, 12:13 pm

Maybe your daughter just hasn't found a "type" of music that she likes. Not appreciating current faves is no sin that's for sure :) . My son absolutely LOVES the BeeGees - and I don't really know why. They are OK I guess in vintage sort of way but he has a set with all their really early pre-disco songs. He started liking them when he was 5 or 6. When he was around 4 he liked a James Brown tape too along with Thomas the Tank Engine and Veggietales music.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Dec 2006, 1:05 pm

There's a theory about the vibrations of the Earth (serious physics, this) and the vibration of various forms of music. The theory says something about people sensing when they match, which is a Good Thing. They recommend (ta-da!) Mozart. Well, that's what stopped me laughing, because if I've had a bad day, and I turn on the radio and get Mozart, I am *so* grateful. Just thought I'd mention it, for whatever it may be worth. :)

aspiesmom1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Dec 2006, 2:52 pm

My DS, age 12 - is very in to music - very unusual music however - The Monkees - yep - those 1960's Beatle's knockoff's. He's got CD's with all their music and box set DVD's of all their shows. He can tell you all the trivia about all 4 guys - one's mom invented white out or something. I have no earthly idea how he even found out they existed quite frankly.

He even has a hat autographed by Davy Jones - we drove 5 hours to a place near Dallas this spring to go to a concert he was giving (yep, he's still singing). DS was up front, singing his heart out!

And yes, if I hear Last Train to Clarksville one more time I may rip my hair out - but it's probably better than if he got into Eminem or something.

walk-in-the-rain
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2006, 3:45 pm

aspiesmom1 wrote:
My DS, age 12 - is very in to music - very unusual music however - The Monkees - yep - those 1960's Beatle's knockoff's. He's got CD's with all their music and box set DVD's of all their shows. He can tell you all the trivia about all 4 guys - one's mom invented white out or something. I have no earthly idea how he even found out they existed quite frankly.

He even has a hat autographed by Davy Jones - we drove 5 hours to a place near Dallas this spring to go to a concert he was giving (yep, he's still singing). DS was up front, singing his heart out!

And yes, if I hear Last Train to Clarksville one more time I may rip my hair out - but it's probably better than if he got into Eminem or something.

I used to love the Monkees when I was a kid and watched the show in reruns.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2006, 11:09 pm

walk-in-the-rain wrote:
Maybe your daughter just hasn't found a "type" of music that she likes. Not appreciating current faves is no sin that's for sure.

That's how I was. I never had music that I liked until I discovered Frank Sinatra at age 13. That's pretty much all I listen to now. Few other teenagers even know who Frank is, let alone listen to him. Come to think of it, I rarely listened to music on my own, either, until I got my first Frank CD. Now, music is an integral part of my life because I have found specific songs (many of them instrumentals from the soundtrack to A Beautiful Mind) that really can convey sensory issues.
-OddDuckNash99-

Nash: Is there a difference?

three2camp
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Dec 2006, 8:45 am

My 10-y-o knows what he likes when he hears it, but we're not musically literate so we're not much help. He does seem to focus better if we have music playing in the background. He will occasionally ask for something specific, but usually won't notice unless he doesn't like what's playing (modern jazz versions of Christmas music are "so wrong").

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2006, 12:38 pm

Hey, there's nothing wrong with the Bee Gees (except some of the really syrupy stuff they did in the late 70's). When disco "died", their music was severely derided, as if they were the only proponents of disco. In a way, it was a backhanded compliment for them, but there was certainly a lot more to their music than just disco and soppy ballads.

I liked the Monkees but preferred the Beatles. I have recently found some interesting music by a group very similar to the Beatles; the Knickerbockers. They didn't have anywhere like the commercial success of the Monkees or the Beatles.

It took quite a while before I worked out what sort of music to like and now it has become a lifelong interest.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

AV-geek
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2006, 9:50 pm

Music is something I totally connect with. I enjoy listening to music on my really nice HiFi system while not doing anything else but concentrating on the music. Maybe your daughter would enjoy listening to music like this. I find it sort of distracting to listen to some music while performing other chores, especially really dynamic, intricate music. There are just some types of music that I *MUST* listen to without any distraction, while some times, usually softer, mellow stuff may work as background. Generally, it will just add to chaos if if there's too much going on in a room though.

I am not really into most of the newest pop music however...I guess I'm too old for it, but I stopped keeping up with the latest top 40 stuff when it stopped being rock, about in the mid 90's or so. I grew up in the hair band era, and the grunge movement was good too. The cool thing about the grunge period is that I fit in without even trying because I've always worn flannels! I have gotten into some of the newer rock like Evanescence, Linkin Park, 3 doors down, Nickelback, etc., but most of my musical tastes for rock involve older stuff from the 70's and 80's

I ended up picking up on a lot of the music my father enjoyed listening to back in the seventies, and frequently listen to it today. It's the stuff I remember listening too frequently when I was really young. Some of my father's favorite artists that come to mind are Olivia Newton John, Doobie Brothers, Pink Floyd, and Exile. My Father sort of bucked the disco trend and hated much of the disco stuff, but I've sort of warmed up to some of it. I like it a whole lot better than the dance music that's out nowadays!

Music is a total emotional connection to me. I dont' pay a tremendous amount of attention to the lyrics too much because my mind is concentrating more on the sound, the beat, the instruments, and all the many subtleties of the music, I don't have much brain power to really pick the words out of the mix. The thing is that the sound of the music is a direct emotional connection to me! I can easily understand emotion conveyed through music. Let your daughter listen to some varities music sometime on a nice stereo without any distractions, and see how she likes it. As a general rule, I have noticed that aspies, including myself, typically really enjoy listening to all sorts music, and have extremely wide, varying tastes in a range of generes and periods in time.

EmmaMom

12 Dec 2006, 9:50 pm

Thanks all. Yes it just might take her a while to find her kind of music and if she doesn't, well that's ok too. I think I'm going overboard with stuff, still adjusting to the diagnosis, trying to figure out all I can do to help.

For you Frank Sinatra fans, how about Michael Buble?

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2006, 4:31 am

Yes, Michael Buble is good. Another one to try is Jack Johnson.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

EmmaMom

13 Dec 2006, 9:30 am

Yes Jack Johnson is great..John Meyer, Heather Nova too. I truly think music is healing so even thought she doesnt ask for it, I'll continue to play it. She can't handle rap but that's fine with me!!

EmmaMom

13 Dec 2006, 9:30 am

opps sorry, posted 2 times

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2006, 1:09 pm

EmmaMom wrote:
For you Frank Sinatra fans, how about Michael Buble?

Oh, yes! I have officially dubbed Buble as "the Modern Day Frank Sinatra." :wink: I've seen him in concert twice, once when he was just becoming famous. I heard him sing in Down With Love, one of my favorite movies, and I was hooked. I don't like a lot of his songs, though, especially the Frank ones. I mean, come on- "Come Fly With Me?" That's Frank's song. Nobody can do it better. That would be like him doing "My Way" or something. :roll: "Fever," "Feelin' Good," and "Mack the Knife" are my favorites. I didn't particularly care much for his second CD because it was too pop-ish. I don't know- like "Home," for example. That wasn't a standard. It didn't fit. Figures that would be the one that became the most popular, though. Anyway, yes, Buble's very good. Is he Frank? Of course not. Who can beat Ol' Blue Eyes? But he is a good substitute, especially for those of us who are upset that we can't go see our favorite performers in concert, since they're all dead... :D After Frank and Sammy Davis, Jr., I'd probably put Buble.
-OddDuckNash99-

Nash: Is there a difference?

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2006, 5:39 am

Jamiroquai has some really nice songs. Another good band is the Jim Butler Trio.
As for vocalists, Bobby Vinton and Cliff Richard had plenty of good songs. I don't like all of Cliff's songs - "Wired For Sound" and "Dreamin'" weren't his best moments, but "Summer Holiday" and lots of others are well worth a listen.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon