Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

celtic1985
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Dec 2006, 10:10 am

As a child or now, do you find Church a really difficult social situation?

I always take any opportunity possible to step out of mass for a few minutes to avoid getting an anxiety build-up.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

11 Dec 2006, 11:34 am

I found if I looked at my watch the entire time I would get the hell out of church faster.

I was bused (another city)to a religious cult (the same one I pulled a knife on mentioned in the JW thread) and hated it so bad I told my mom "I would rather goto school'. And I hated school with a passion like any other red blooded aspie male.

parts
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2006, 1:12 pm

I never liked it or really go why I should go even after 8 years of Catholic Sunday school. To me it was just too many people too much forced interaction which to me made no sense. I would sit and stare at the ceiling and count to pass time and help me ignore the fact there where people all around me. I don't go anymore and haven't since I turned 18

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Dec 2006, 1:19 pm

If church becomes a social occasion, I don't go. Like Christmas and Easter, for example. And Sundays. I'll go any day of the week except Sundays. It's a good place to meditate and pray.

Once I was meditating in a Protestant church and the minister tried to revive me. I go to the RC church, even though I don't believe their stuff. It's got ambiance.

Ganurath
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Dec 2006, 1:25 pm

Even before I turned atheist, I could never sing the hymns, do communion, or avoid trouble from the youth group.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2006, 1:26 pm

I really don't like going to church. At my last one, we were constantly standing up and sitting down, which caused me to black out (I'm hypoglycemic) and it would start at, like, 8:45 in the morning. Plus, everyone there was in a clique and not accepting of new people. Plus, everyone who went there were either mothers with screaming little kids or old people. There were never any other teens or older kids, except Peter, who was severely autistic. The only church-related activities I do now is going to my friend's youth group on some Wednesdays. It's fun, there's a lot more teens, and there's no boring church stuff that puts me to sleep (that really happened!).

Gamester
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2006, 1:34 pm

I go to church when I can.

back home, in my hometown, I'm part of the hired kitchen staff. I'm a barista. I love my church, it's very friendly and I love our pastor(is a woman pastor a pastoress?) and the sermons. Our choirs great as well.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2006, 1:39 pm

I like d going to church until about 15 because it was "Sunday school"....I really liked learning and we would discus "history" and "ethical philosophy".I found it very interesting and still do.I was raised in Christian Science,which has some interesting philosophy behind it.I think if I had to go to a traditional church that was just repeating dogma,I wouldnt have enjoyed it.The worst part of church was having to wear uncomfortable clothes and shoes and "do my hair".It also sucked as a teenager that the other teens hated me for my enthusiasm in learning and debate.I eventually became agnostic after I ran into to many contradictions and hypocrisy in the church.

I tried to go to a church service of one of my sisters once(born again evangelical)it lasted forever and I ended up with a migraine and had to leave after an hour....I think it was about 4 hours long...I sat outside deep breathing and said...never again.I still find it amazing that intelligent people can live with all the contradictions and history of religion....it is beyond my comprehension.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

Gamester
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2006, 1:42 pm

I've been active in my church for a while. both as kitchen staff and in the youth group and in the mexico missions.

I'm a traveler, so any opportunity to leave is one of those things that I relish.