Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Taybot97
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Oct 2012, 8:12 pm

Hi WP, I've searched elsewhere on the Internet for help but none of it was tuned to my situation enough to be useful.

Anyway, I'm a sophomore in highschool and want to get a girl I likes phone number. I've known her since 7th grade (by that I mean we had a class together but if she noticed me I'm not sure). In 8th and 9th grade we talked but not much. Now this year we have three classes together and have talked quite a bit.

I want to ask her out and starting Friday is fall break but I'll be out of state for all of it. I'd prefer to avoid asking a girl out then leaving, giving no chance to be together. However if I can get her phone number it would give a chance for A) get to know each other better and B) if we actually keep up texting its practically guaranteed she likes me and probably enough to say yes.

Problem here is I, like a lot of people here am horrible socially. Especially around those I have a crush on. But maybe one of you here knows the answer I'm looking. So how could I (or anybody in a similar situation) get a way to contact the girl without plain asking her out, or making it too obvious I want to?

Finally, thank you to those who reply with useful information and even those who just took time to read this but can't offer help.

MountainLaurel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2012, 9:08 pm

Sorry, Taybot but there's no secret avenue or trick to either get someone to give you their phone # or to get someone to say yes to a date. You cannot skip social contact in order get a date with a girl. Dates are by definition social activity, so you are unlikely to be able to skip preliminary socializing in order to advance to dating socializing.

Quote:
B) if we actually keep up texting its practically guaranteed she likes me and probably enough to say yes.

Not necessarily. A girl needs to feel comfortable with you in person before she will want to be on date with you, because on a date she'll be with you not just communicating remotely as in texting.

Spend face to face time with her in order to ask her out on a date. If she doesn't enjoy you face to face, why on earth would she accept a date proposal by text.

I don't mean to be harsh, I just want you to understand it. If you try some weasly way to get her number she will be creeped out. Don't be squirrely, that will just add to your problem.

Sometimes we just need to get over ourselves.

Here's how to ask a girl out on a date:
1) Ask her to accompany you to a specific event or place and then propose a specific date and time.
2) If she indicates that she would like to go out with you but is unavailable on that date, you offer an alternative date & time. If she is interested she will assist in pinning down an agreeable date.
3) If she cannot agree to any date & time; that means she does not want to go on date with you.
4) If she agrees to go on a date with you; then ask for her cell #.

How to get a girls cell # without asking her on a date first:
1) Tell her that you would like to chat with her and would she give you her #.

Any approach except a straight forward approach seems squirrely. Look at the video of Alex Plank socializing with a girl as an example of good approach.
http://www.wrongplanet.net/article434.html

Taybot97
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Oct 2012, 10:23 pm

MountainLaurel wrote:

Quote:
B) if we actually keep up texting its practically guaranteed she likes me and probably enough to say yes.

Not necessarily. A girl needs to feel comfortable with you in person before she will want to be on date with you, because on a date she'll be with you not just communicating remotely as in texting.

Spend face to face time with her in order to ask her out on a date. If she doesn't enjoy you face to face, why on earth would she accept a date proposal by text.
--------—-------------------------------------------
How to get a girls cell # without asking her on a date first:
1) Tell her that you would like to chat with her and would she give you her #.

Any approach except a straight forward approach seems squirrely. Look at the video of Alex Plank socializing with a girl as an example of good approach.
http://www.wrongplanet.net/article434.html

About the first point I quoted, I didn't mean to eliminate all real contact. I would still ask her out in person. I was trying to say that through texting I can be me without social fear. If I can be sure she likes me (if she didn't like me she would stop texting right?) then when facing her in person it will be easier for me to be confident. I've read confidence is important all too many times, also I assume people are more comfortable with confidence than awkwardness.
Besides I will be nearly 1000 miles away so face-to-face wouldn't be on option, would it be benificial to wait until that's possable?

Now the second point. Is it really that easy? That seems too straight forward, but it is the opposite of squirrely approach you said to avoid. I know I do poor in social situations and tend to over think things just making it worse, I guess I over thought this too.

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2012, 3:05 am

1- Find a common interest that could be an excuse for setting up a meeting(music, reading, most things you can come up with should be valid)

2-Try to talk to her for a long period about this subject(quite unlikely to get a number from anyone unless you do so)

3- Mention a nearby activity related to your common interest that is happening soon.

4- Look at the way she reacts to you mentioning this activity. If she seems to be interested try to suggest a meeting there. . Do not change your tone of voice in order to do this or she´ll think that you are going to make things way more serious than they should be according to her.

5- Mention that you need some way to make sure that you can find each other at said activity, this should get you a phone number if you were right interpreting wether she was interested on going to said activity with you.