Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2012, 3:54 pm

I've gotten hate mail on my Tumblr. What started out as this girl nuts that I was violating all these Tumblr rules (which includes not talking about Tumblr outside of the website and not linking the site to your other social networking platforms.

This person left me two harassing questions:

1) "f*****g Autism is not an excuse to be an as*hole. Get YOUR head out of YOUR ass."
2) "If you don't get over your god complex you will never be liked by anyone."

I'm wondering if it's the same person who left me this on my now closed Formsquare account:

"Stop making autism an excuse to be a dumbass. its not cute."

I'm suspecting my (now former, as of today, as she defriended me) Facebook pen pal had something to do with this. My social networking habits seemed to tick her off.

antifeministfrills
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Oct 2012, 4:04 pm

Those aren't actual Tumblr rules though? Just social conventions.

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2012, 4:07 pm

antifeministfrills wrote:

I know. But it's as people make them out to be social norms.

But back to my point: do use auties/Aspies get a bad rap?

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2012, 9:39 pm

Northeastern292 wrote:

Yes they do, but I am uncertain as to whether or not this is what happened here. We don't know why she did what she did and if it was just a simple AS/NT miscommunication issue or something that is outside that particular sphere of possibility.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2012, 9:14 pm

I think it's kind of funny (and by funny, I mean stupid), "normal" people condemn us because we're incapable of thinking like them, and then they turn around and make it as if we can actually help that while they proceed to insult us.
And they expect us not to be angry/upset about it?
People like that need to get real.

BMctav
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Oct 2012, 3:10 am

Northeastern292 wrote:

Blimey. I didn't know those "rules" about Tumblr. I have a Tumblr buddy at work and we often have a chinwag about what we put on there. Meh.

I think people in general are too unedcuated about autism and Asperger's to give it a bad rap.

In the instance of this person making nasty comments towards you, I think her comments are immature and tactless as well as a bit malicious and nasty. However, for the sake of balance, I don't know what comments you made to her, so you may have said something that set her off on this tirade. It's not like people with autism/Asperger's don't do things to purposely wind people up, from time-to-time. Even so, the comments she left were patronisingly sh***y. :?

VAGraduateStudent
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Oct 2012, 7:45 am

I think it's like when someone is mad at you and maybe you're a little "fluffy" they might call you fat, or if you're non-white they might say something racist. Being an aspie was just the different thing about you that she used as ammo.

I agree with what someone else said- not enough is known about autism for aspies to get a bad rap (yet). My guess is that with increased positive awareness there will also come a backlash against people on the spectrum similar to gay bashing.

antifeministfrills
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Oct 2012, 10:48 am

BMctav wrote:
Northeastern292 wrote:

Blimey. I didn't know those "rules" about Tumblr. I have a Tumblr buddy at work and we often have a chinwag about what we put on there. Meh.

I think people in general are too unedcuated about autism and Asperger's to give it a bad rap.

In the instance of this person making nasty comments towards you, I think her comments are immature and tactless as well as a bit malicious and nasty. However, for the sake of balance, I don't know what comments you made to her, so you may have said something that set her off on this tirade. It's not like people with autism/Asperger's don't do things to purposely wind people up, from time-to-time. Even so, the comments she left were patronisingly sh***y. :?

Even Tumblr famous people who are madly popular talk about Tumblr outside of it (I mean, they practically live on it). Those people are as*holes, especially for bringing your AS into things.

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 4:31 pm

I find it interesting that she writes back. Almost Troll like.