Sensory Sensitive vs. Sensory Seeking

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Are you more sensory sensitive or sensory seeking?
Sensitive 47%  47%  [ 16 ]
Seeking 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
About the same 44%  44%  [ 15 ]
Neither/ normal sensory function 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 34

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2012, 6:23 pm

Usually sensory issues are associated with ASD, both being overly sensitive to stimuli and seeking stimuli. I have some sensitivities(they were a lot worse when i was a kid), but I think that the majority of my sensory abnormalities involve seeking sensory input rather than being put off by it. So, that's what i'm asking here... Which sensory issues/abnormalities do you feel that you have more of: the kind where you are overly sensitive to stimuli and try to avoid it(staying away from bright lights because they're too intense, avoiding noisy places, etc), or the kind where you seek out stimuli(could be classic stimming, smelling things, feeling things, etc.)?

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2012, 6:31 pm

voted about the same, because there are things I avoid and things I really crave.

I avoid bright lights and colors and sunlight for example

but I crave loud crunchy food and really really really hot food

I avoid loud places and crowds too much at once leaves me disoriented

but I looooove music with constant beat.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2012, 6:33 pm

Both for different things.

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2012, 7:44 pm

I liked being hugged and having my hand held. The more I know you, the more I want to hug you and hold your hand. Eventually, I'll want to cuddle, and then I want to cuddle for longer and longer. I respect boundaries, though.

I love music. I could play it all day, partially because it filters out noise like the neighbor above me peeing, and several of my neighbors talking. For some reason, though, I can't stand crowd noise.

I like spicy food, if I eat it on my terms. I also like crunchy food. I don't like food that has a crust to it, like tomatos or bell peppers.

PixelPony
Toucan
Toucan

08 Oct 2012, 9:06 pm

Depends on the sense. Vision and hearing are hypersensitive. Proprioception is hyposensitive. And tactile flip flops between hyper and hyposensitive.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2012, 9:43 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
Both for different things.

Yeah me too.......and for some senses I'm both sensitive and seeking like with sounds I'm really sensitive to some sounds but then I seek it by vocal stimming (in private), listening to loud music ect. and I make noise to cover up other peoples' noises that I don't like , for example if I'm reading and I can hear someone's chewing noises nearby I'll start reading out-loud, or if I'm on the computer I might sing or hum along with my music to cover other noises.

JRR
Toucan
Toucan

09 Oct 2012, 2:08 am

Seeking FTW! :D

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2012, 8:47 am

Though I believe I have sufficiently flogged the proverbial deceased equine with this topic, why not give the poor beast one more whack?

Things I avoid: wet wood (Popsicle sticks, wooden spoons, wooden chopsticks), wet paper of any kind, mushrooms (horrific texture), Maraschino cherries (terrible taste and texture), bright light/sunlight, high-pitched voices, certain fabrics, adhesive or slimy substances.

Things I tend to seek out: certain textures (those embossed logos on documents or album covers, cold or rusted metal, furry/fuzzy items), certain auditory input, weight/pressure, and spicy/fruity foods.