Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

celtic1985
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Dec 2006, 8:20 pm

Just watched it - great film by the way.

Question is, do you think Aspies would make good MI5 agents?

I guess its the James Bond lack of empathy thing... I mean he's as cold and closed off as I am at least, don't know about the rest of you.

By the way, I see all that as a good thing.

NeoPlatonist
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Dec 2006, 9:16 pm

I think aspies would make really good spies in real life. I would bet that the best spies are really average and dull in voice and appearance; no flashy James Bond stuff. Being an intelligence analyst appeals to me.

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2006, 9:44 pm

You kidding? Spying involves a hell of a lot of discomfort, with the ability to keep calm, quiet, subtle, unnoticed...and endure a hell of a lot of pain and cramped spaces. Any aspie with sensory defensiveness would SUCK at that job, and that's a lot of aspies. Another thing is, spies gotta be smooth and deceitful. A lot of aspies hate lying and are socially awkward. Plus, whoever said all aspies were cold as hell? Not understanding other people doesn't mean you don't care about their feelings.

tdbrown82
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Dec 2006, 11:09 pm

HA HA HA

I can't imagine an aspie James Bond

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2006, 12:28 am

Well, I suppose that there is a difference between an Intelligence Agent and an Intelligent Analyst. An agent would need to be the fits in anywhere kind of guy, where the analyst just kind of sits in a chair in front of a computer or book and figures out what the stuff the field agent gathers really means. I think an Aspie would make a terrible spy, but an excellent analyst. I seriously considered joining up with the military as an intelligence analyst, but came to find out that an ASD makes me ineligible for military service--so there goes the "easy" way for high level security clearance. :roll: Oh well.

But the movie is awesome!

Corvus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2006, 12:35 am

Veresae wrote:
You kidding? Spying involves a hell of a lot of discomfort, with the ability to keep calm, quiet, subtle, unnoticed...and endure a hell of a lot of pain and cramped spaces. Any aspie with sensory defensiveness would SUCK at that job, and that's a lot of aspies. Another thing is, spies gotta be smooth and deceitful. A lot of aspies hate lying and are socially awkward. Plus, whoever said all aspies were cold as hell? Not understanding other people doesn't mean you don't care about their feelings.

Unnoticed? I went my whole school career without being noticed - Hell, I still havent! :wink:

celtic1985
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Dec 2006, 5:12 am

Veresae wrote:

You're ruining it for me! Every Aspie deserves a Tux, a martini and a hot girl.

rpm2004
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2006, 6:31 am

no...for reasons I am not going to list

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2006, 7:07 am

Ever see the opening part of dan akroyds character in "spies like us"? He acts like the typical aspie stereotype!

1. Hard worker.
2. Linguist.
3. Expert in his interest.
4. Encyclopedic memory.
5. No Social life.
6. A bit clumsy

BTW it's a good comedy also, at least if you can get past the over acting by chevy chase!

Steve

celtic1985
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Dec 2006, 7:21 am

SteveK wrote:
BTW it's a good comedy also, at least if you can get past the over acting by chevy chase!

I really don't see what Americans see in Chevy Chase, he's an arse.

Louise
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Dec 2006, 8:38 am

I've not seen 'Spies Like Us', but I liked Dan Akroyd in Ghostbusters. Also thought Harold Ramis's character came across as a bit aspie-ish, though.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2006, 6:52 am

Aspies make excellent analysts but terrible operatives.

Think Jack Ryan.

Watch "Spy Games."

Can you strike up a conversation with anybody...

and get them to immediately trust you?

- Emerson

Catalyst
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Dec 2006, 6:58 am

I'm in a minority-- I actually liked the Timoth Dalton Bond (though not better than Connery) because he was actually the utter cad that Bond would have to be.

And I would have to agree that I would make a horrible generic spy.

I've seen several references on this site that Ackroyd is an Aspie-- though I've never seen any mention of it off of WP.

celtic1985
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Dec 2006, 7:05 am

Catalyst wrote:
I'm in a minority-- I actually liked the Timoth Dalton Bond (though not better than Connery) because he was actually the utter cad that Bond would have to be.

And I would have to agree that I would make a horrible generic spy.

I've seen several references on this site that Ackroyd is an Aspie-- though I've never seen any mention of it off of WP.

I thought Dalton was a great bond - far more in line with the new one. I mean killing for the British Government isn't a nice business.

By the way, an Aspie actor? How is that possible?

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2006, 7:05 am

You (Catalyst) might enjoy The Tailor of Panama. Pierce Brosnan plays an operative who's seedy and vulgar and not someone you want to be around.

- Emerson

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2006, 8:09 am

Catalyst,

Apparantly Dan Akroyd DOES have AS! WHO says so? HE DOES!! !! I DID find a LOT of references that have no agenda and aren't part of this site. Here's one:

http://www.canadiancontent.net/people/a ... kroyd.html

Quote:
In an audio interview with Terry Gross, he described himself as having mild Tourette syndrome that was successfully treated with therapy when he was a preteen, as well as mild Asperger syndrome. The latter can manifest itself in a fascination with narrowly-defined interests, such as police work, and Aykroyd carries a police badge at all times. (It is unclear if Aykroyd received these diagnoses from a medical source or whether they were self-made. The interviewer indicated that she couldn't tell if Aykroyd was kidding.)

BTW In spies like us, he acts with languages, cryptography, and general facts the way I act with computers, electronics, and general facts.

Steve