Page 4 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

ExoticCritter
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Oct 2013, 12:30 am

Awake is the most scary movie I think I've seen even though I only watched like 10 minutes of it (I saw a clip of it in class). It is scarier than any demon, possession, or monster movie I've ever seen. It's about a guy who has anesthesia awareness so he can feel a heart surgery happening. I have sat in on actual surgeries at a vet clinic and I have a really high tolerance for watching surgery. This is worse then the real thing!

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2013, 6:08 am

The Birds has a number of scary sounding noises and movements by the birds themselves.

Darialan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Nov 2013, 3:57 pm

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original) was scary to me and I had gotten used to horror by the time I finally saw this. It goes to show that you don't need a whole lot of blood or anything to make a movie scary.

The Exorcist was pretty scary, too.

Paranormal Activity. The people I find that aren't scared by this movie just laugh at you for being scared, which I don't get, because to me, not seeing what the demon or ghost or whatever looks like and only seeing the effects it has on everything makes it more scary. It leaves everything to your imagination. Your imagination is the scariest thing ever. part two was good. Three was ok, i guess, but I was really really disappointed by it, because they showed way too much. The 4th one was a bit better, though.

ghosting
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Nov 2013, 11:28 am

The Wicker Man
The 1973 version, not the Nic Cage one - that's scary for different reasons.
It's not necessarily scary like jump scares and stuff, but it's super creepy and super eerie. I found the end genuinely scary, but that might just be my particular fears.

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2013, 7:26 pm

JanuaryMan wrote:
Jacob's Ladder. It inspired a lot of films, video games and literature in its wake.

Ah, Jacob's Ladder. The best Silent Hill movie never made.

Here's some of the scariest films I've seen.

The Shining- 'Nuff said.
Shutter Island- Despite being a psychological thriller rather than a horror film, it's still hard to forget after my first viewing.
Videodrome- The quintessential Cronenberg film, in my mind. "Long live the new flesh!"
The Fly (1986)- Another Cronenberg film. Geena Davis's nightmare made me physically flich.
A History of Violence- YET ANOTHER David Cronenberg film, that devil! :lol: Like Shutter Island, this is a thriller, but Cronenberg's handling of the violence and emphasis on psychological realism was chilling.
Cannibal Holocaust
Tetsuo: The Iron Man
Eraserhead
Tenebre
Alien
2001: A Space Odyssey- This movie makes me afraid to go into space with a supercomputer like HAL.
Manhunter
The Silence of the Lambs
Anything, anything, ANYTHING by Todd Solondz. I'm surprised he hasn't dropped the "black comedy" label entirely and showed his true colors.

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2013, 8:52 pm

Psycho - a classic
The Shining
The Blob (this gave me nightmares for DECADES, starting when I was a kid)
Hellraiser
The Thing
The Exorcist
The Omen
Alien
Tourist Trap (creepy)
The Masque of Red Death (Vincent Price oldie but goodie)
The Fall of the House of Usher
Burnt Offerings
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Audition (Japanese "Odishon"--really, really twisted)
Nightmare on Elm Street
Amityville Horror
Silence of the Lambs

AspCat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Nov 2013, 4:42 pm

Angel Heart
Audition (agree with the previous poster - and most Japanese Horror which follows in its wake is not nearly as good).
Tell Me Something (Korean horror with odd serial killer elements, as good as Audition IMHO).
The Devil's Chair (lesser known, but good, recent horror film, if you like the abandoned asylum themes).

Zombie369
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Dec 2013, 10:42 am

It's way past Halloween so I guess I'm a little too late for this topic. :P But I'll post some of my favorites anyways.

If zombies scare you then I'd highly recommend some of these:

Night of the Living Dead (both the original black and white one from 1969 and the color one from 1990 are pretty good, but I'd stay away from any of the newer remakes)

Dawn of the Dead (the original one from 1978 and the new one from 2004)

Day of the Dead (the original one from 1985 is pretty gruesome with very gory effects and realistic zombie make-up)

Land of the Dead (kind of cheesy with the whole Mad Max-style apocalyptic zombie world with human survivors living in a fortress city scavenging ruins for supplies, but the zombies look very scary and the gore is pretty intense)

28 Days Later (a good British zombie movie with fast zombies that are more rabid than undead)

Resident Evil (I'd stay away from the crappy sequels, but the first movie is actually pretty good in my opinion.)

coffeebean
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2014, 11:50 pm

Some of the horror elements aren't the best, but the storytelling and suspense are very good.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhrYDiaSo_s[/youtube]

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2014, 12:36 am

The Mothman Prophecies. There are moth motifs in every scene, alluding to the fact that the mothman is embedded in the universal fabric.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2014, 3:58 pm

The Conjuring

Psycho {1960 version, not the crappy 1998 remake}

Alien

Manhunter {I have not seen Red Dragon, even though I want to}

The Last Exorcism

The Amityville Horror {both versions}

The Blair Witch Project

Joshua

Let The Right One In

Straw Dogs

What Lies Beneath

The Orphanage

Black Swan

The Haunting {1963 version}

Jaws

Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2014, 5:13 pm

The original "Halloween" was a suspense classic. I hate hearing it referred to as a "slasher film", because it wasn't.