Would these jobs be a good fit for an aspie

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Would they?
Gas station attendant. Yes. 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Gas station attendant. No. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Walmart version of a gas station attendant (the kind in the bullet proof booth). Yes. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Walmart version of a gas station attendant (the kind in the bullet proof booth). No. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Ticket seller at a movie theater. Yes. 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Ticket seller at a movie theater. No. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Usher at a movie theater. Yes. 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Usher at a movie theater. No. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Popcorn seller at a movie theater. Yes. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Popcorn seller at a movie theater. No. 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Protectionist at a movie theater. Yes 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Protectionist at a movie theater. No. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I don't care, show me the results. 50%  50%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 10

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 8:21 am

I know there are a lot of jobs that would be a good fit for an aspie, and even more that wouldn't. But would the fallowing be a good match?

Gas station attendant.
Walmart version of a gas station attendant (the kind in the bullet proof booth).
Ticket seller at a movie theater.
Usher at a movie theater.
Popcorn seller at a movie theater.
Protectionist at a movie theater.

Trencher93
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Oct 2012, 9:02 am

I have no idea how that poll could possibly work.

Titangeek wrote:
Gas station attendant.

Do you mean a convenience store clerk? Gas stations are automated these days. I'd say no because it requires dealing with the unpredictable general public. Think angry people buying lottery tickets while others are using the five-finger discount while you're distracted. Too much going on.

Titangeek wrote:
Walmart version of a gas station attendant (the kind in the bullet proof booth).

No, for the same reason. (My WM doesn't have a gas station, but I get the idea. In fact, most of the ones I see are convenience stores, not pure gas stations.)

Titangeek wrote:

No. General public again. (Do they even have ticket sellers anymore? This isn't automated?)

Titangeek wrote:
Usher at a movie theater.

Really no. Are you ready to fight that guy with the camcorder you ask to leave? Deal with the 10 small kids screaming?

Titangeek wrote:
Popcorn seller at a movie theater.

No. General public again. At least they won't hurt you when they dump their popcorn on you. (Too much butter, not enough butter, too much salt, not enough salt, etc.)

Titangeek wrote:
Protectionist at a movie theater.

Isn't this automated and digital by now? Are there real people changing reels?

Still, based on some of the zombies I see at these kinds of jobs, you probably couldn't do any worse and may do better. I've started to joke that if there really was a zombie apocalypse, no one would notice.

PTSmorrow
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 10:32 am

To make it short, for me everything i can do without getting in contact with people would be okay, and everything that requires contact would not work.

For instance, driving a truck -- YES
Driving a taxi or bus -- NO

Working with machines -- YES
Working with people -- NO

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 11:11 am

Trencher93 wrote:

Not my brightest idea

Titangeek wrote:
Gas station attendant.

Do you mean a convenience store clerk? Gas stations are automated these days. I'd say no because it requires dealing with the unpredictable general public. Think angry people buying lottery tickets while others are using the five-finger discount while you're distracted. Too much going on.
[/quote]
Same thing.

Trencher93 wrote:
Titangeek wrote:

No. General public again. (Do they even have ticket sellers anymore? This isn't automated?)

Yes, they do. At least the ones around here do.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 11:13 am

It's probably worth adding that I used to stock shelves at a grocery store, that job involved a bit of human interaction (i.e. wheres the peanut butter), and that wasn't too bad.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 11:15 am

Unless you were so severe that you shut down completely when in public, I think most of those jobs could be done by aspies.

Gas Station Attendant could be difficult due to the conversation and variety of issues you might run into.

Same for Walmart.

Ticket Seller at Movie Theatre: Yes it involves public, but it's just "Hello, how can I help you" "Two tickets for x" "That'll be $$" "Thank you"

Usher: Most of the ones now days just stand there and rip your ticket and say what theatre to go to.

Popcorn Seller: Same thing, very automatic scripted dialog

Projectionist: Def.