Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Green89tom
Raven
Raven

10 Oct 2012, 5:59 pm

People with asperger's do not want get cure or helped because they think that a cure would remove some of traits of that person. But, are people with asperger with the disorder? I know that you can't be happy all time and everyone has negative traits. I wonder how many people with can hold down a job or are married or have children of their own. Maybe some are happy with themselves and some want help. Is asperger a trait or a disorder?

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 6:10 pm

Rogue was tired of being a mutant because she couldn't just reach out and touch someone with her bare hands. That would make them age quickly and die on the spot. So she sought the cure in hopes to make her normal. A lot of mutants in X-Men III followed her to the cure because they also wanted to be normal. Wolverine loved being a mutant, and I would too if I had adamantium bones and Freddy Krueger's claws hidden in my hands. For some of us, every day is a sunny day; for others, there's always a cloudy overcast. Yet, we're on the same spectrum. Go figure.

Green89tom
Raven
Raven

10 Oct 2012, 6:32 pm

What if in future there was a genetic test that prove someone is autistic and there was better treatment that can improve the lives of people with autism? I don't understand why the USA behind with medical treatments while india and other countries are already using stem cells for brain disorders.

NHASPIE629
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Oct 2012, 6:53 pm

Green89tom wrote:
What if in future there was a genetic test that prove someone is autistic and there was better treatment that can improve the lives of people with autism? I don't understand why the USA behind with medical treatments while india and other countries are already using stem cells for brain disorders.

CHRISTIANITY. There's your answer. It's not religiously ethical and people get all up in a fuss over it. I support stem cell research. I wish they could have had more done when my mom got sick with ALS. She could have lived longer than she did or maybe even have been cured. They could have replaced the cells that were dying in her nervous system.

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 7:02 pm

Well, since I guess I am technically HFA instead of AS, I do not feel my disorder has ever done ANY good for me. It might have helped me learn to be a poet, but that talent likely exists in me beyond my autism.
Afterall, its embarassing to be 50 years old & unable to tie my shoelaces (except in my version of a square knot mutant!). I did MASTER bicycle riding, eventually. Socially, I am still as inept as a Tenth Grade HS student. NOt GOOD!
I really find it odd why some people find people trying to help them something EVIL or Forced on them. What I narrowly escaped was being warehoused in a Mental Institution & left to grow old & die. That was the fate of MANY autists back in the 60s & 70s.

Sincerely,
Matthew

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 8:13 pm

I'm happy with my AS, because I've learned to adapt. I'm also happy with my AS, because it gives me a unique view of the world. I also like the set of quirks and kinks that I have.

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 8:49 pm

What would happen if someone with an ASD had another genetic or neurological disorder? Would the cure for autism make the other disabilities worse?