Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 8:29 pm

http://www.vice.com/read/asmr-the-good- ... an-explain

I stumbled over this by accident and was totally surprised. I've experienced the described feeling a thousand times in my life and I thought everybody had it. But apparently it's not that usual? Do you know this feeling?

I personally get it from massages, hair cuts, and certain sounds (voices - especially female whispering - rain, the sound of pens drawing on paper, sometimes eating sounds...)

japan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Oct 2012, 8:49 pm

I love ASMR sensations. However, it never occurred to me that others might experience the same thing until I found out about it. I'm not sure if it's actually unusual. I know that not everyone gets them, but I don't think they really have a firm grasp of the numbers.

I remember when I was a kid, I used to watch the movie Matilda...about the little girl with the ability to move things with her mind. I always liked the part where she first tries to demonstrate her abilities by tipping over a glass. She starts whispering "come on glass tip over" over and over. It's very relaxing. It's one of my first memories of ASMR.

Crinkling paper, writing sounds, a lot of whispering and ever speaking softly....those are all good...

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 9:01 pm

I think it might actually be very common with us on the autistic spectrum. Since we're more sensitive to sensory input.

By the way, why don't we post a few videos that trigger ASMR for us. :wink:

This is pretty amazing:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g9e2ner9sE[/youtube]

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 9:01 pm

I don't get bubbles in my head, but I sometimes get a pleasant, cooling sensation on my tongue when I am stimming or focusing on my special interests. I also get the same sensation in my arms when witness acts of worship. Feeling it while North Korean gave praises to Kim Jong Ill confirmed my atheism.

OhioStateDolphins
Raven
Raven

10 Oct 2012, 10:09 pm

certain loud/bass sounds give me this feeling in the lower back but I don't enjoy the feeling at all, so I experience ASMR in a negative way.

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 10:13 pm

OhioStateDolphins wrote:
certain loud/bass sounds give me this feeling in the lower back but I don't enjoy the feeling at all, so I experience ASMR in a negative way.

Not sure if it's really ASMR then, since loud sounds would be very, very uncommon triggers. It's usually restricted to calm, soft noises.

holdonyoungster
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Oct 2012, 10:14 pm

I don't know if I get "ASMR tingles" or anything like that but I love the videos, I especially like sounds of matchboxes or nail polish bottles clinking. It helps me sleep.

EB
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Oct 2012, 12:08 am

Okay this is strange. I listened to the video partway just out of curiousity and I think it's the tone and whisperyness more than what's being said since it's a little creepy if I listen to the words or funny. For whatever reason the low whispering voice via headphones made 'bubbles in my head' as it was put and made my spine tickle. Not sure if I'd look for videos like that. Someone should make one of a guy even it's just audio to see if it does have the same effect or not. (I listen to videos like this more than I watch them unless it's a movie or something so the visual part isn't as important to me I guess.)

chaines321
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Oct 2012, 1:41 am

I've read about this before and watched a couple videos and they all drive me crazy and make me want to cry. I hate the way it makes me feel. I get a weird feeling, but it doesn't feel good and it's not a positive feeling.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2012, 3:55 am

Certain sounds give me the physical sensation which I now know is called ASMR. Certain singing voices have this effect. I always thought it was just my response to hearing an amazing voice. As for the video, it made me feel a little uncomfortable. If this happened to me for real, I'd be creeped out by the woman. But, the whispering was ticklish.

NewDawn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Oct 2012, 4:40 am

I recognize the description of the feeling, but the woman in the video doesn't trigger it. Maybe because she's a woman and it's just a bit too sensual. Makes me feel slightly uncomfortable. However, I do have these 'happy bubbles in the head' when I listen to John Kabat-Zin (the mindfulness guru).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5Fa50oj45s

Si_82
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2012, 5:00 am

Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
Certain sounds give me the physical sensation which I now know is called ASMR. Certain singing voices have this effect. I always thought it was just my response to hearing an amazing voice. As for the video, it made me feel a little uncomfortable. If this happened to me for real, I'd be creeped out by the woman. But, the whispering was ticklish.

I think the metal tickling is probably a good description for these things feel for me. It is a strange phenomenon and I have never really put much serious thought into it before.

Alexithymia: 137

Alfonso12345
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Oct 2012, 7:51 am

emimeni wrote:
I don't get bubbles in my head, but I sometimes get a pleasant, cooling sensation on my tongue when I am stimming or focusing on my special interests. I also get the same sensation in my arms when witness acts of worship. Feeling it while North Korean gave praises to Kim Jong Ill confirmed my atheism.

Watching people give praises to a tyrant who poses as a god confirmed your atheism? I also can't imagine why you would get a good feeling from that. What I would have felt was anger at the tyrant for controlling and exploiting his own people.

Sanctus wrote:
I think it might actually be very common with us on the autistic spectrum. Since we're more sensitive to sensory input.

By the way, why don't we post a few videos that trigger ASMR for us. :wink:

This is pretty amazing:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g9e2ner9sE[/youtube]

At the moment, I don't quite remember having any ASMR experiences, but what I do know is, if a woman was talking to me like the one in the video, the only place I would experience a really good feeling, is somewhere that can only be discussed in the adult section of the forum.

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2012, 7:55 am

Alfonso12345 wrote:
At the moment, I don't quite remember having any ASMR experiences, but what I do know is, if a woman was talking to me like the one in the video, the only place I would experience a really good feeling, is somewhere that can only be discussed in the adult section of the forum.

I know, it might look like a really weird fetish if you don't know how it feels like. :wink: There's really nothing sexual about it though.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2012, 8:06 am

you mean others have this too?
i always had feelings simular to the ones described on that page, but i never managed to explain them in any way...
this might also explain why my most favourite music and sounds are dead boring to almost everyone else i know.
i do not really know what exactly triggers those feelings for me, it seems to differ as well, under unknown influences; i should research this more

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2012, 8:14 am

izzeme wrote:
you mean others have this too?
i always had feelings simular to the ones described on that page, but i never managed to explain them in any way...
this might also explain why my most favourite music and sounds are dead boring to almost everyone else i know.
i do not really know what exactly triggers those feelings for me, it seems to differ as well, under unknown influences; i should research this more

Yeah, it's interesting how we either think that everybody has it or that nobody else has it. :D As I said, I always thought it was totally normal.
I discovered today that I can force the feeling by just thinking about it. It's not as strong without any actual triggers though. And a rather unusual trigger for me is ping-pong sounds. Like, listening to people playing table tennis. :)