Can you help with a couple of questions, please?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

katwithhat
Toucan
Toucan

12 Oct 2012, 5:43 am

1) If you do something really strange do you explain to yourself that it's just a "aspie thing" so you can blame the certain behavior or compulsive tendencies on AS? I think that now that I'm diagnosed it's easier for me to blame bad behavior or my weirdness on AS and use it as an 'excuse' of sorts. I know that I am ultimately responsible for my actions but this is more about the things that I can't control. Do you think people should be given some more "slack" because of AS?

2) I had a upper GI scope yesterday and I was freaking out over the whole procedure. I was stimming pretty badly and pacing before I went in for the actual procedure. When I got out I was drugged up completely and must have said some strange things. I started crying because they found something else wrong with me when I have prepared for the other diagnosis. My mom told me I "was acting like a 3 year old" and I completely embarrassed her. Do you thing I should be held responsible for things I say or do when I was drugged up or should she should have been more caring and supportive?

dazedorconfused
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Oct 2012, 7:11 am

In general you are always responsible for your actions. That said you will always view your actions through your filter and not an NT one. Meaning, if you act in a way you know is inappropriate then you are wrong in every way. If you act in a way that you did not realize is wrong then it is an issue of ignorance or nievete(sp). This will be your fault if you continue to do it and not learn it is not appropriate... Does that make sense?

That said we often are functioning on reason and intellect. We filter our actions based on thought not an innate understanding on how others will perceive our actions. Drugs that suppress higher thought process will make you act differently.

Embarrassing someone is a pretty minor offense in the world. Perhaps you should ask exactly what you did to embarrass them because you just don't see it as they do and may not "get" what you were doing wrong. Open those lines of communication so you can learn :).

On a side not if we were ever given sodium penethol (a drug that limits higher function so you can't connect the repercussion of your actions, used as a truth serum in interrogations) how would we act? I wonder what I would say...

katwithhat
Toucan
Toucan

12 Oct 2012, 7:46 am

I don't think I did anything considered "wrong" as in cursing at the nurse or being a terrible patient. I was having a mini-meltdown and honestly don't know how suppress them. I just don't remember any of it because of the anesthesia. When I was able to kids of wake up from the medicine I thought I acted just fine. Evidently not though. I'm upset because I was drugged and I think should be given a little "slack" for being loopy.

dazedorconfused
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Oct 2012, 8:02 am

I probably wasn't clear. I know I have issues expressing what is in my head but am trying to improve. I invite help at any turn.

First find out what you did.

Figure out internally why you did it.

If you did something that hurt someone, but did it because you didn't realize you shouldn't, you need to take responsibility, say sorry, and not do it again. (learn)

If you did something that hurt someone and did it with that intent then you are not only responsible for your actions but for the premeditation. (stop being mean)

was that clearer?

dazedorconfused
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Oct 2012, 8:05 am

katwithhat wrote:
I don't think I did anything considered "wrong" as in cursing at the nurse or being a terrible patient. I was having a mini-meltdown and honestly don't know how suppress them. I just don't remember any of it because of the anesthesia. When I was able to kids of wake up from the medicine I thought I acted just fine. Evidently not though. I'm upset because I was drugged and I think should be given a little "slack" for being loopy.

Forgot to mention.

If you did something without intent (didn't know better even if you do now) it may be because your ability to know better is based in higher thought and the drugs can suppress that.

If you only understand don't say someone is fat because you intellectually have to think of how they will react then drugs that suppress your intellectual ability will remove your understanding that you shouldn't say it.