ring that tells guys a girl is single

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

muff
Toucan
Toucan

12 Oct 2012, 1:03 pm

these rings show up around here from time to time. probably started in our irish town. it takes at least half of the guess work out of things. now i just have to work on the other half...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claddagh_ring

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Oct 2012, 1:12 pm

That is so cool! 8)

mv
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2012, 2:32 pm

Here in the United States, people of Irish descent wear them, but they don't (alone) signify that you're single. If you wear it one way, you're single (your heart is open) and if you wear it the other way, you're not single (your heart is closed/spoken for/taken by another). I know married people of Irish descent who wear Claddagh rings as wedding rings.

By one way or the other way, I mean which way the crown is pointing (toward your fingernail or toward your wrist). I just can't remember which is which.

Oops! :oops: I see you're in Detroit. I thought you were writing from Ireland...

Anyway, I'm in Boston, also another "Irish town"...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2012, 2:38 pm

Most of my Irish friends that wear a Claddagh Ring do so just to show that they're Irish. Some of them follow the old traditions to some degree, but the meaning is lost on the non-Gael.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2012, 2:54 pm

I wouldn't mind one of those with a British Crown instead of the variant used on there instead. ;)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2012, 3:07 pm

Tequila wrote:
I wouldn't mind one of those with a British Crown instead of the variant used on there instead. ;)

Make mine a cheeseburger.

:lol:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

machf
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Oct 2012, 4:39 pm

How about this?

Nascaireacht
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Oct 2012, 4:46 pm

I'm from Ireland. When I was in secondary school, a lot of girls used to wear them, and we knew all the rules about which way meant you were going out with someone, and which way meant you were single. We'd keep an eye on people's rings sometimes and ask them who the guy was, if we noticed it had changed! The problem was, I'm not really sure if Irish GUYS knew all this! I suspect they would only know it if told by a girlfriend, and if they bothered to listen, which teenage guys don't always tend to do about girly things, after all. It's a great idea, but a bit subtle for hormonal teenage boys, I suspect. Not that I got close enough to them to find out - maybe they were aware all the time, and just never came after me and my available ring!

muff
Toucan
Toucan

12 Oct 2012, 5:39 pm

mv wrote:
Here in the United States, people of Irish descent wear them, but they don't (alone) signify that you're single. If you wear it one way, you're single (your heart is open) and if you wear it the other way, you're not single (your heart is closed/spoken for/taken by another). I know married people of Irish descent who wear Claddagh rings as wedding rings.

By one way or the other way, I mean which way the crown is pointing (toward your fingernail or toward your wrist). I just can't remember which is which.

Oops! :oops: I see you're in Detroit. I thought you were writing from Ireland...

Anyway, I'm in Boston, also another "Irish town"...

yes, they are not uncommon around here. usually the ones ive seen have been pointing toward the girl. it has actually made two friendships that i have had easier to understand the boundaries in. just this week i met with a girl downtown while i was working and i saw it on her right hand and i double checked which way it was pointing ;)

shes cute. and i like that the ring tells me it is okay to think she is cute. now i just have to figure out when it is okay to treat her like she is cute. i look at pupils, this is something that i am trying out. if a person is excited, their pupils dilate. that or she is on drugs =P

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2012, 10:17 pm

Just in case someone does not know what a Claddagh ring looks like...

Silver...

Gold...

My favorite...

revolutionrocknroll
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Oct 2012, 11:39 pm

I'm part Irish. My parents got my sisters and me claddagh rings when they went to Ireland without us. I can't wear rings because they feel so uncomfortable to me. So I would carry it around, put it on, take it off, and finally my mom was like, "If you aren't going to wear it, give it to me so you don't lose it." And so I don't wear it.

muff
Toucan
Toucan

13 Oct 2012, 7:35 am

revolutionrocknroll wrote:
I'm part Irish. My parents got my sisters and me claddagh rings when they went to Ireland without us. I can't wear rings because they feel so uncomfortable to me. So I would carry it around, put it on, take it off, and finally my mom was like, "If you aren't going to wear it, give it to me so you don't lose it." And so I don't wear it.

i can understand that.

i wish there was a guy version :?

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2012, 7:43 am

:x
Sorry... bad memory involving this ring type.
I'll not go into it.

Edit: I'll say it briefly as possible... I was in a relationship... They had this ring and let's just say I was... brainwashed.

www.wrongplanet.net/postp5013377.html&h ... t=#5013377

Sora: "My friends are my power."

Ventus: "I'm asking you as a friend. Just... put an end to me."

Blammo
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Oct 2012, 11:37 pm

I like this.

Your Aspie score: 121 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 107 of 200 You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

mv
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2012, 5:52 am

muff wrote:
revolutionrocknroll wrote:

i can understand that.

i wish there was a guy version :?

Men wear Claddagh rings around here (Boston) as much as women do. I'm not kidding when I say that I've seen (his and her) wedding rings in the Claddagh design.

JRR
Toucan
Toucan

15 Oct 2012, 9:11 am

Ah, forgot about those! Brings back bad memories of HS! :?

But, it's fairly certain that girls who care to wear them know which way it goes. They won't wear it wrong.

Note: This was worn by girls with Irish heritage in the US in the 1990s, at least around where I lived.