Yes 32%  32%  [ 45 ]
No 68%  68%  [ 95 ]
Total votes : 140

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2012, 10:18 pm

Smokers suck butts.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

BlueElephantKing
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Oct 2012, 2:41 pm

No way! There's no point to it, it's unhealthy and disgusting!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2012, 4:13 pm

I don't know most smokers I know typically put their cigarettes in the ash tray when they become butts, but I suppose there are some strange people out there.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2012, 4:49 pm

dazedorconfused wrote:

That said I want to quit. If anyone has a replacement strategy I am open to it.

Dazed I mentioned this previously on a couple of other threads- I started smoking when I was 12. Smoked for 25+ years. Tried Gum. Tried patches. Didn't try prescription quit smoking meds because I didn't want to commit suicide or bleed out of my rectum or whatever the side-effect of the week is. I did discover electronic cigarettes by accident and that was when I quit tobbaco cold turkey and without any craving at all. The difference is you're inhaling water vapor and nicotine rather than burning plant matter with 4000 or so chemicals in it. You don't stink anymore. No cig stains on fingers. There are many flavors from tobacco flavors to exotic fruit flavors. People who complain about how cig smoke smells often enjoy the smell of vaping so now you smell nice instead of like an ashtray.

You can control the nicotine level and taper it down to zero over time. I am now at a level equivalent to ultra light cigs after smoking camels most of my life. What makes these so effective is that they look and feel similar to cigarettes. The hardest part of quitting tobacco is getting over the motions of smoking and these replicate the 'motions' very well. I'll post a some pictures here so you can see what I used. I started with Blu cigs which look like analog cigs. Then being the aspie that I am I started learning everything there is to know about vaping. I moved to a slightly larger battery device called a Riva. Then to a variable voltage device with a rebuildable atomizer and started building my own coils and stainless steel mesh wicks.

If you want to try these to get off tobacco PM me and I will guide you so you're not flying blind and skip the learning curve. Any way here are some pics of the devices I mentioned in order of what I started with to what I use now. IMO the riva kit is a really good choice for people new to vaping. The full kit can be had for only ~$40. At this point it costs me around $20/mo to vape compared to ~$150 month for tobacco so the money saving is no joke. Pays for itself in less than a month.

BLU CIG-

Riva 900 mAh kit-

Lava Tube Young Jun mod variable voltage-

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 9:57 am

No i don't smoke.

ladraven
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Oct 2012, 10:03 am

I am an ex-smoker, well I am in the process of giving up. So far I am on 11 days, not smoked 134 cigarettes and saved £50.79. I am on NRT with patches, which would be nearly as expensive as smoking were it not for the NHS. I love smoking and I really really miss it but I am determined I am not going to smoke again.

heatherbk
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Oct 2012, 11:15 am

Quit cold turkey

Saralicia
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Oct 2012, 11:46 am

I couldn't smoke. I can't abide the smell and if I get too close I end up coughing and gagging. A fellow who had been smoking (recently, I infer) walked past me today. He was about three feet away from me but the smell was still overpowering. I don't understand smoking. I can't see anything appealing about it. If somebody wants to smoke that's up to them but I don't appreciate having to be around it and I am likely to avoid being in close proximity to anyone who has just been smoking.

Chapelo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Oct 2012, 2:20 pm

I smoked for more than 10 years, started in 2001 when I was a Freshman in High School at the age of 14. Progressively worked up the amount of cigarettes I'd smoke in a day, although I never did get past 3/4 of a pack a day.

I got tired of smelling like stale smoke, so earlier this year, I saw a doctor, and he prescribed Chantix. I never did get any of the suicidal thoughts or depression that people have reported taking the pill, although I did have very strange, vivid dreams (known side effect of the pill).

Anyway, I'm happy to report that I've been tobacco free since June. I get urges every now and then (a tingling feeling in the teeth). I still smoke the "green" tobacco though, levels me out.