Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Do ya smoke?
Yes 32%  32%  [ 45 ]
No 68%  68%  [ 95 ]
Total votes : 140

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

12 Oct 2012, 11:25 pm

TalusJumper wrote:
equestriatola wrote:
This may be a touchy subject for any of us Aspies or NT people, but do you smoke?
---
I abhor it. I got my dad to quit 2004........ I just knew even as a kid how the cigarette smoke was affecting me. Best thing I did. :D

I agree. Unlike you though, my years of trying to get my dad to quit ( along with the rest of our family) did not work. He refused to give it up and died early from lung cancer. :(

It took me 10 years to get mine to quit........ I am sorry for what yours went through. :(

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2012, 12:10 am

Nope.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

periphery
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Oct 2012, 12:23 am

jk1 wrote:
I detest it, too.

I only recently was talking about it with my colleagues (both non-smokers) and we all wondered why smokers start smoking in the first place (like someone posted earlier) when it's very unhealthy, costly, stinky and very unattractive. There is absolutely nothting good about it. One of my colleagues pointed out long-term smokers' skin kind of looks rather grayish and it is unattractive. Some smokers tend to be rude enough to smoke wherever they want even in non-smoking areas and litter the streets. The more you tell a smoker to quit, the more stubborn he/she tends to become. So you can't really do much about it. The only way to stop people smoking is to illegalize it though even that may not be enough. Luckily, none of my family smokes.

Sorry for my strongly negative view of smoking, but that's how I feel about it.

I'm a smoker. I realise it's gross but I"m addicted. I try to to let my smoking encroach on others.
Anyway I remember the exact day I started smoking. The realities of smoking didn't come into my mind. I didn't think of the cost, the social stigma (both of which were low back then, even just 15 years ago) the health implications or anything like that.

I had just moved into my own ''house'' with a few friends. I was 16. We only had a few personal belongings, mattresses on the floor type thing to live with..that is not tv, computers, anything like that.

My friend said "im bored''
and i said ''me too''
she said ''want to go buy some cigarettes''
and I said ''sure''
and the rest is history.

(I guess partially I thought my friend was super cool and I wanted to be like her so there was an element of peer pressure involved, if I hadn't looked up to her so much I probably wouldn't have considered smoking on my own volition).

DerStadtschutz
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2012, 1:39 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
I cant seem to stop, it doesn't help that I am suicidal so if anything I like that smoking can cause death. I mean if they put a really morbid picture on cigarette packs and sold them as 'cancer sticks' I'd probably want them even more. I mean cigarette sounds kind of elegant, cancer stick is more straight and to the point.

I can relate to this a bit. I wouldn't call myself suicidal, but I'm not worried about doing things that accelerate my death. I don't like this planet anyway, so the sooner I can leave it, the better.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2012, 2:18 am

DerStadtschutz wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
I cant seem to stop, it doesn't help that I am suicidal so if anything I like that smoking can cause death. I mean if they put a really morbid picture on cigarette packs and sold them as 'cancer sticks' I'd probably want them even more. I mean cigarette sounds kind of elegant, cancer stick is more straight and to the point.

I can relate to this a bit. I wouldn't call myself suicidal, but I'm not worried about doing things that accelerate my death. I don't like this planet anyway, so the sooner I can leave it, the better.

I smoke cigarettes, I drink with my prescriptions, I just can't seem to give a f*** anymore, I mean not only do I feel like crap but it seems the world is going to sh*t as well and there's nothing anyone can do about it. I know a few people who feel it to, but there's not a damn thing any of us can do but try to survive when it happens.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2012, 2:38 am

revolutionrocknroll wrote:
At my school a lot of people smoke various substances, including but not limited to cigarettes. I think they think it makes them cool but I don't see how killing yourself is cool? But let me tell you, there's nothing worse than grabbing a bite to eat between classes and then running through a cloud of cigarette smoke and losing the delicious taste and smell of your lunch, only to be replaced by the disgusting, choking stench of burning chemicals.
I think it's part of the reason I hesitate to make friends here, and especially date people, because there's always that very high chance that they're smokers.
But being straight edge is only one of the many ways I don't fit in with everyone else at college.

Downtown's like that too. And there's also a ton of creepy homeless people that sometimes hit on me and sometimes beg for drug money (and they admit it's for drugs) even though I completely ignore them and don't make eye contact. I guess the hobos are relevant because a lot of them are the ones smoking. Hobos, Canadians, and college students. There are sometimes discussions to ban smoking on campus, downtown, on certain streets, etc but nothing ever comes of it. :(
It's a pity, because otherwise, this is a very beautiful, healthy city.

we are all killing ourselves all the time, only the rate at which we do changes.

more people die every year than have directly from all the nuclear accidents through history from smog alone, in mexico and other places the air is literally worse than the ciggarette smoke.

that said it isnt about killing yourself and it isnt neccesarily about being cool, for many people it is enjoyable, many accept an addiction as a consequence of that enjoyment.

personally i hate the smell and taste of cigarette smoke, i smoke cannabis which i mix with roasted low tar tobacco, allmost tasteless.

as for the people here that think actually banning it is even an option, shame you havent considered all the s**t people do at their own and others expense that have so many more consequences yet remain perfectly legal, talking on a phone while driving, even when using hands free equate to being over the limit.
people burn wood in stoves without proper gas burning or filtering options, in some neighbourhoods where it's common one can barely breath.

these are two of thousands of examples, compared to smokers, who might have special consideration in small pubs but other than are usually willing to go outside and enjoy their ciggarettes.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2012, 4:50 am

I don't smoke, no. Don't have anything against people that do, though.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2012, 6:37 am

I used to smoke, but not anymore.
So what do I answer? :lol:

Oldout
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2012, 11:34 am

I'm a proud smoker. Can anyone name a product or food that has been more studied than smoking ? My point is I strongly suspect there are far more dangerous things than smoking in our modern messy society.

VisInsita
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Oct 2012, 11:50 am

I wouldn’t go inhaling smoke from a fire, so would I go inhaling it from a cigarette? No.

Hiddencreations
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Oct 2012, 12:08 pm

I don't smoke, I think once you start it is harder to quit (I've seen this with my dad and his struggle to stop smoking). Also I have asthma and I hate the smell of cigarette smoke.

There may be things worse but just because something is worse doesn't mean you engage in the lesser of two "evils".

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2012, 3:12 pm

Oldout wrote:
I'm a proud smoker. Can anyone name a product or food that has been more studied than smoking ? My point is I strongly suspect there are far more dangerous things than smoking in our modern messy society.

Yes like the opiates doctors prescribe people, I be those are very healthy :twisted:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2012, 3:15 pm

Oh and guess what else anyone live in a city or town? or even outside that....there is all kinds of sh*t in the air people breathe every day that is not healthy so technically one could argue breathing causes death and cancer but of course people need to breathe. I suppose people don't need to smoke but its not as though the air is that terribly clean especially where I live right now.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2012, 3:20 pm

Hiddencreations wrote:
I don't smoke, I think once you start it is harder to quit (I've seen this with my dad and his struggle to stop smoking). Also I have asthma and I hate the smell of cigarette smoke.

There may be things worse but just because something is worse doesn't mean you engage in the lesser of two "evils".

every decision is the lesser of two evils, there is always a cost to an action.

how you wheigh the risks versus rewards differ from person to person and that is perfectly fine, it gives variety.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

BenPritchard
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Oct 2012, 5:58 pm

No. It has never appealed to me and it never will.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

13 Oct 2012, 10:05 pm

I could NEVER smoke; it's too pricey, addictive, unhealthful, and why did we even find it appealing in the 1950s?

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."