Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

lyricalillusions
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2012, 6:06 am

I was informally diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome or high functioning autism by my psychiatrist wednesday. I brought it up to my psychiatrist and she said she had been waiting for me to say something about it. Apparently she's thought it all along. She's looking into places that can officially diagnose me and will pass the info on to my therapist when I see her on Oct. 22. So, if she finds anyone who takes my insurance, I may be tested for it soon.
My psychiatrist said that as far as she's concerned, I have it.

I'm happy lol. It's nice to know I'm not just seeing things in myself that aren't there, but that they're apparent to other people too.

Has anyone else ever had an informal diagnosis, either before the actual diagnosis, or just the informal diagnosis on its own?

onks
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Oct 2012, 7:35 am

Nice that you passed the first stage.
Seems though that getting a diagnosis is nowadays more difficult.
(Because we are just lazy asholes that just do not want to work kind of thinking)

"Why would you want to know if your leg is broken? It is not relevant, you'll just be fine with walking around. Don't worry."

I don't have any diagnosis and maybe I'll move quite soon somewhere else. So I don't want to start it yet.

I do have lots of trouble. And that trouble isn't just imagination. Discussing here helps to recognize them and work on them.
Probably much more than any NT psychiatrist. Wrongplanet is a great forum, although I am quite old
and somewhere on the non-typical end of the spectrum.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2012, 12:00 pm

I had a professional who didn't know the spectrum well tell my family that I almost certain had Asperger's at age 13. My official diagnosis was at age 22.

Between those points in time it wasn't worth getting the official diagnosis.