Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

HelpINeedSomebody
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Oct 2012, 3:24 am

Hi

I wonder if any of you can help. My son is 13 and is finding his body hair (erm lower) annoying. Is this a common Aspie trait? He says it's not itchy just irritating so I don't think it's medical as such. He says it gets in the way and it's always there and annoying.

He doesn't like labels and things so not sure if it's a sensory issue. Have any of you had this problem/heard of this problem and what do I tell him so that he can solve it. I'm worried that if he trims it or whatever that he'll get bullied in the changing room at school.

Thanks

x

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2012, 6:52 am

I've been told that if you shave that hair, it can get quite irritating when it is growing back.

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2012, 9:22 am

Ah, 13...puberty. Good times lmao.

Yeah, when I got my pubic hair, it was strange for a while. I shaved it till maybe 10th grade. Then I left it alone as it wasn't going away anytime.

Anyways, I would just shave it.

Curiotical
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2012, 6:19 pm

Is stripping completely in the changing room a requirement? If so, shaving it would be a bad idea. He probably would be bullied because of it, so, he may just have to learn to live with it. However, if stripping completely isn't a requirement, there isn't any point in living in a state of discomfort.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2012, 12:09 pm

Some guys shave body hair. I know that my oldest daughter said her fiance shaves his leg hair, armpit hair, chest hair, and then she said "all his body hair" so I guess he shaves that too. He doesn't like it so he shaves it off. Apparantly it's somewhat common nowdays for boys to do that. It's called "manscapng" like "landscaping" only different. There is a country singer who shaves his armpits too.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

HelpINeedSomebody
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Oct 2012, 1:01 pm

Thanks everyone. I've had a scout around and yes manscaping seems to be the in thing. I'll buy him a trimmer and hope he doesn't remove anything important with it! I'm dubious about full shaving just because it can be itchy when it's growing back so we'll try the trimming and see how it goes.

Hope he doesn't get bullied. He says they don't shower together at school so hopefully it will be ok.

Thanks everyone for your help.

x

FairyCakes
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Oct 2012, 7:18 pm

I can't stand body hair. I've been shaving everywhere but on my head since I was about 9. Arms, legs, feet, pits, happy trail... It feels so bad D: I'm not an aspie, so I don't know if it's a personality trait or a spectrum trait.

Taverson
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Oct 2012, 11:46 pm

I'm a 20yr old guy and I hate how all my body hair looks feels.

I used to shave but it became too much of a hassle to do every day so I just let it grow now and trim to 3/4 of an inch every two months or so.

As a half-joke, half-serious (if I had the money at least) sentiment I always tell people when the subject arises (it usually doesn't) that my plan when I have more money is to permanently remove all hair below my neck.

It's always funny because it takes them a second or two to process it and you can see them processing it on their face... and then their eyes get a big and/or creeped out look.

DerStadtschutz
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 12:12 am

HelpINeedSomebody wrote:
Thanks everyone. I've had a scout around and yes manscaping seems to be the in thing. I'll buy him a trimmer and hope he doesn't remove anything important with it! I'm dubious about full shaving just because it can be itchy when it's growing back so we'll try the trimming and see how it goes.

Hope he doesn't get bullied. He says they don't shower together at school so hopefully it will be ok.

Thanks everyone for your help.

x

I'm gonna tell you right now, he's better off using a razor than he is using a trimmer(I'm assuming you mean a hair buzzer). The problem when trying to trim your balls with one of those things is the skin gets very easily trapped between the moving teeth on the trimmer, and then it gets cut. Just give him a gillette mach 3, and he'll be good. As long as he uses fresh blades, good shaving cream, and is careful, he'll be fine.

When I first started growing hair in new places, I hated it. I didn't try to shave it all off, but I shaved my face, and I shaved my crotch. I've given up on shaving my face(I keep a goatee now cuz most people mistake me for a 16 year old if I don't have SOME facial hair. I wouldn't shave at all, but I have to for stupid work), but I still shave down there because the hair is a pain.

When I was circumcised, they left some foreskin behind, enough so that the whole "sliding" mechanism thing still works, and my glans can be fully covered. Most of the time it is covered because it just doesn't feel right for it not to be covered, and I find that when my pubes get long enough, they'll get caught in between my glans and foreskin, and it will pull on the hair. That, and it just seems to get extra sweaty if I leave it alone.

Yes, it will itch(and sometimes feel like you're wearing sandpaper underwear) when it grows back, but the more you shave an area, the more used to shaving that area of your body gets. Eventually, it won't bother him. And of course, the irritation is affected by the things i mentioned earlier; fresh blades, good shaving cream, and proper shaving technique.

HelpINeedSomebody
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Oct 2012, 1:50 am

Hi

I've got him a bikini trimmer so theoretically nothing get's trapped, he doesn't seem to have hair too extensively just yet but I'm only going from his description. I'll talk to him about the gillette when it becomes a testicle issue. He seems ok with the trimming of the upper bit just at the minute.

I'll bear in mind what you have said though for a later date.

Thanks everyone.

DerStadtschutz
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2012, 10:42 pm

Well, I wasn't sure what a "bikini trimmer" was, so i looked it up, and it's essentially the same thing as one for your head, just smaller. I have something similar, but mine's called a "beard and mustache trimmer." Anyway, I guess if he's not trimming his testicles, he'll be okay with that. But when he does, watch out. That s**t hurts.