How do you manage to stay engrossed in something?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2012, 8:54 am

Many people here say they're able to do that... and I remember when I could do that myself, but now even if there's the most interesting discussion about philosophy on the radio there will be at least one moment (and that's much better than average) when my mind is completely 'out' of that focus and worrying about something that's happening in five days time or so. I hate it... and most often I don't even care about what I'm worrying about, but I just feel afraid so easily...

(This is much more evident when the mind is let loose just before sleeping - I get all sorts of adrenaline pumping and often due to indistinct thoughts.)

qwertyuiop1994
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Oct 2012, 10:55 am

I'm the same. If I worry about something I can't concentrate 100% even on my James Bond movies which I give my undivided attention to. If I worry a good deal of hand flapping or just repeating my worry to myself out loud usually helps but I'm not back to normal until the worry has passed. Hope this helped a little bit :)

JRR
Toucan
Toucan

14 Oct 2012, 11:27 am

Well, you're listening or watching something that isn't your interest/focus/obsession. Of course, you're not going to be able to be focused on it. For you to become engrossed in something, it's got to be your "thing" or you won't get engrossed in it. Simple as that.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2012, 11:44 am

Many aspies have trouble focusing on what they are SPOSED to be focused on. And find it all too easy to get absorbed in a special interest that society doesnt value or that is an impractical interest.

Im like that.

Thats the 'special interest' thing that aspie are known for.

So for me the special interest is like a narcotic drug that absorbs you despite you resisting it. But what you're TRYING to learn in school or whatever might be hard to focus on.

You (the OP) seem to be very anxiety prone. Maybe a bit OCD ( obsessive compulsive). And Ill bet that you are probably a bit high strung ( which im not).
You might want to use relaxation excercises to go to sleep at night.
But in your waking life-being future oriented is not all bad.

You might want to harness that excess energy towards studying for the bar exam, or something like that.

But maybe you should get professional help for these intrusive fearful thoughts.

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2012, 12:18 pm

JRR wrote:
Well, you're listening or watching something that isn't your interest/focus/obsession. Of course, you're not going to be able to be focused on it. For you to become engrossed in something, it's got to be your "thing" or you won't get engrossed in it. Simple as that.

Oh, I'm pretty sure it's not as simple as that. I used to do exactly what I was interested in some years ago, and indeed I had no problem with attention, but it's not the same now after some bad events. My interests seem to have grown but equally I can't seem to focus on anything at all... it's like I have a dissipated mind.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2012, 12:35 pm

It can be a symptom of depression......a loss of the ability to maintain focus. Do you have any other symptoms of depression? lost my ability to hyperfocus on things I found interesting when I was depressed (and lost interest in things). You should see a doctor about it if you think it's a possibility,

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2012, 2:25 pm

maybe it's post-traumatic stress disorder.