What do you think of fighting games?

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

BlueElephantKing
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Oct 2012, 6:39 pm

aussiebloke wrote:
Are gamers becoming to cynical and time poor to invest in "harder" games, because it's criminal this dumbing down of games trend we've been experiencing in recent years , Silent Hill. Resident Evil, Tomb Raider ,10 hrs for a Tomb Raider game 8O (Legend) that's how long it should take to locate a cog and mount it! Far Cry 3 (looking that way) so many complaints like the "real time map" dumbed down in 3 where you pause and set the way point in the menu I admit the real time map took some getting used to but once their fantastic (just like the rest of the game) a real surprise coming from uber (the less ugly sister of Activision aka whoreAvision .)

Well, when a game is too hard, I usually end up frustrated and it just ruins the fun for me. To me, a game is not worth playing if all it is doing is pissing me off. This is the reason why I like to play simple games like Animal Crossing :mrgreen:

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 6:46 pm

BlueElephantKing wrote:
aussiebloke wrote:
Are gamers becoming to cynical and time poor to invest in "harder" games, because it's criminal this dumbing down of games trend we've been experiencing in recent years , Silent Hill. Resident Evil, Tomb Raider ,10 hrs for a Tomb Raider game 8O (Legend) that's how long it should take to locate a cog and mount it! Far Cry 3 (looking that way) so many complaints like the "real time map" dumbed down in 3 where you pause and set the way point in the menu I admit the real time map took some getting used to but once their fantastic (just like the rest of the game) a real surprise coming from uber (the less ugly sister of Activision aka whoreAvision .)

Well, when a game is too hard, I usually end up frustrated and it just ruins the fun for me. To me, a game is not worth playing if all it is doing is pissing me off. This is the reason why I like to play simple games like Animal Crossing :mrgreen:

well your right most companies these days don't know how to do "hard" . "cheats" more like it.Set most games to the hardest settings and it's warts become to apparant .

Ash_Darkside
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Oct 2012, 9:02 pm

I think someone should open a thread to discuss the "dumbing down of games trend" and the lack of proper difficulty mods in more depth.

On topic, fighting games require fast thinking, good exact memory and eye-hand coordination. I suck at all of those T_T.
The biggest difficulty in fighting games is the required timing for inputing the combo button sequence, that and actually remembering the button sequence. The rest is strategy and enemy behavior prediction.

Doing all that at the same time is not for everyone, and so are fighting games.
But I do believe that there is a way to make better fighting games (with more fluid action, less spamming potential and easier character control system).

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 9:09 pm

^^^^

Surprisingly their aren't that many on www. It's pretty dispiriting when the majority aren't in agreement . :cry:

DerStadtschutz
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 9:39 pm

It depends... I like a few fighting games, but I'm not fond of most of them. Games like Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter are classics, and they had their time, but I feel like they need to just go away now. Like, if you like playing the old ones, fine... But they need to stop making them, or they need to stop making them 2d fighters. Yes, I'm aware that the graphics are 3d these days, but that's not what I mean. The characters on the screen can only move in 2 dimensions. They can move forward or backwards, but they can't like run around each other. They can't move into the background or closer to the camera, and that's annoying, especially in this day and age. I can't stand games like Tekken or DBZ Budokai(ESPECIALLY Budokai, a game based on dragonball that doesn't let you fly around freely... that's just ridiculous) because you SHOULD be able to move in 3D space, but you can't.

My favorite fighting games are Tobal 2, Ehrgeiz, and DBZ Sparking Meteor(AKA Budokai Tenkaichi 3). All three of these games are truly 3 dimensional. You can maneuver around your opponent instead of just moving forward and backwards. And Sparking Meteor allows you to fly around completely freely(minus those stupid invisible walls), which is great because it adds a degree of strategy.

The original Tobal No. 1 didn't look very good(a lot like virtua fighter... very blocky characters), but it was Squaresoft's first PSX game, and it ran at a nice, smooth 60 frames per second, which was rare in 1996. The next year, in 1997, they released an updated version: Tobal 2, which looks MUCH smoother. It almost looks like it could be a PS2 game at times, and yet it STILL runs at 60fps.

Ehrgeiz was a more arcade-like version of Tobal, with all new characters, plus it contained a bunch of characters from Final Fantasy 7. It's not quite as good as Tobal in my opinion, but it's still a great game. AND you can find a US version of it, which isn't the case with Tobal 2.

Here's a video of Tobal 2, but I don't feel it does the game justice. It can be a very simple game, but it's also extremely complex at the same time. It's easily my favorite fighting game ever.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx-Vwjra73o&feature=relmfu[/youtube]

And this is Tobal No. 1
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKXVsfRUF7E&feature=related[/youtube]

Another thing that's really cool about ehrgeiz and both tobal games is they have this mode called quest mode, which is an RPG-like mode that allows you to go explore dungeons and whatnot. It's very difficult, but it's worth it.

And THIS is ehrgeiz.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IANJvTCNHtw&feature=related[/youtube]

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 10:26 am

They bore the freaking s**t out of me, sorry.

Jediyoda
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Oct 2012, 12:29 am

I find it Fun. Street Fighter, Tekken, Marvel vrs Capcom 3 Fate of two Worlds and Soul Calabour.