How do you deal with being extremely upset?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

TheWrithing
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Oct 2012, 3:15 pm

It takes a great deal for me to get in a funk, take for instance if my parents get angry and verbally degrading toward any issue I have. At times they threaten to send me away to a mental institution for silly things. I know I'm not insane or a danger to myself or others but they are quite keen on using such a threat despite how emotionally and mentally devastating it is for me to hear from those that I would like to believe should love and try to help me from time to time.

This aside, how do any of you deal with overwhelming emotional upset? I usually get quiet seclude myself in my room and drink beer/alcohol for the better part of the day. I lose my appetite, but still make sure to care for my animals that rely on me. Yes, sometimes I cry in my own desolation and due to feeling such emotional isolation from those that I like to pretend might love me in whatever little way.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2012, 3:52 pm

I don't know how much dependent on your parents you are but it seems the best choice would be to make yourself as independent physically and emotionally as you can. Abuse only drains one's resources.

When I'm upset or anxious I try to focus on the task before myself that would help to solve the issue. When I can't, I'd sometimes speak to one of my friends, trying to get help from them, especially one who knows me very well. Hiking, cycling, swimming can help too, just as having a beer...

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2012, 4:24 pm

I used to deliver papers in the wee, dark hours of the morning. I stomped and cried my way through much of my route. It helped in a lot of ways.

Ria1989
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Oct 2012, 6:51 pm

look at ways to fix the problem and better my future... if I'm not very upset, I can go through the mechanics of fixing the problem, but otherwise I stay in bed all day-- when i'm NOT at work, which is never.

loner1984
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2012, 10:25 pm

I remember stuff like that back when i was a kid, always getting told about being send away and such, back then they didn know alot about aspergers, ive been in a few places not metal home, but something like that, not sure what its called in english, and few other homes for people with parents that drinks. Not that my mom did that, but they didn know back then what to do with kids that had wierd problems.

I didn know and still dont know how to handle it, what happens i think if you dont learn to handle it in someway, is that you behind kinda emotionless. atleast thats what happened to be. No matter what people say or anything pretty much cant upset me in any way anymore, i think ive just become older and cold. You have to adapt and the only way to adapt to something which you cant understand is for the mind to prevent it from happening.

atleast control emotions in someway automaticly. not really sure if its good or bad, dont really think its good, because it doesnt make it easier if you want to help and or be with other people but it worked for my problem.

each time you keep getting that crap from your parents its only one step closer to not caring and before you know it, when they say it, it simply wont effect you anymore.

definitely get your own place if you can when you can. I mean i have no problems with my Mom at all, but living in the same place, it doesnt work. i would get all the crap that you are talking about all the time.

Getting pretty much emotionless is probably not a good thing :P but it was that way that helped me.

Just ran it through the google translate thingy, apperently its called "Child Psychiatry" where i spend some years as a kid. definitely worse being such places than at home, ill take being at home anyday.