What is the scariest game you ever played?

Page 3 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

TheWarrior
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Jun 2017, 9:34 pm

Amnesia: the Dark Descent
The only game that made me consider gaving up on it, but I persisted and finished it.

metaldanielle
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2017, 10:07 pm

999. I stopped cuz I got stuck and I'm not sure I wanna get unstuck.

Almajo88
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jun 2017, 6:18 pm

Nothing truly scares me nowadays, and I'm almost nostalgic for those times as a kid when I wouldn't be able to sleep for fear of monsters. There are only two games that still scare me:

Silent Hill

The dreamlike atmosphere and indistinct graphics work together, perhaps by accident, to create this fear of the world being unpredictable and unknowable.

Final Fantasy VII

The Shinra Building section after being captured still gives me this paranoid fear, aided by the music. Although the game does little to explain or expand on Jenova's abilities, it can shapeshift, telepathically communicate, project images, impersonate... the music played during its fights is as intensely spooky as you could possibly get, too. Even though the game's setting isn't handled well and the narrative has some issues, it manages to have this pervasive dread after that initial section in the Shinra Building that doesn't really go away.

EXTRA SPECIAL BONUS GAME!

I was thinking and I should probably give Alien: Isolation props for being both the best Alien game, and also for taking a lot of chances (and being the first game of its type made by Creative Assembly). I'm more fond of psychological horror than the sort here, but I won't pretend that I didn't jump a lot while playing this.

It's playable on just about anything, too. New consoles, old consoles and even Intel integrated graphics on PC should run it well! Everyone who wants a real Alien game should play this one.

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2017, 12:04 am

It takes a special kind of nerve to not crack at several points when you fully immerse yourself within Brennenberg Castle and creep/limp from atrocity to atrocity, the atmosphere is cloying, I have felt my very sanity atrophy many a time! It's a devilishly gratifying experience. I also recall Another World from the older consoles really messing me up, each screen was full of tension and foreign hatred.

Mr.Robot
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 1:54 pm

I was definitely scared by 'Aliens versus Predator'. This atmosphere has never been reached again by any other game. The Last Of Us came very close, though.

milksnake
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jun 2017, 4:42 pm

It's a toss up between the Amnesia games and Kholat which has great atmosphere and really nasty jump scares.
Didn't find Alien Isolation scary; I just found the teleporting alien mechanic incredibly irritating.

Almajo88
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jun 2017, 6:19 pm

*heavy SH1-3 spoilers*

Following my previous post, I've been replaying the first three Silent Hill games and I've gotta say, my judgement was wrong. The first game scared me a lot as a kid, but replaying 2 has made it clear that it's the scariest game ever made. The environments are less grossly visceral and much more sombre than those in 1 and 3, but I feel like that works out better for the horror. There's more of a sense of connection, even the otherworld of the second game is so similar to the quote-unquote normal world that it's difficult to tell, at points, which you're in. In fact, it seems to not be a binary thing, or even a linear scale, but simply an unpredictable distortion fuelled by some sort of unexplained malevolent force.

The intense otherworld of the third game feels unrelated to the normal environments such that it feels like an over-the-top level in a dark action game more than a horror setting. The otherworld is entirely a binary thing, something that either is or isn't there, and the transitions are always discrete. It simply doesn't have the same level of consideration. The otherworld is explicitly the result of the demon inside of Heather, who is awakened by Claudia. There is no mystery.

The first game still has its own value. It was the first of its kind, a fully-3D horror game with a psychological twist, and they did a very good job with the graphics. The industrial soundtrack might be my favourite, it fuels paranoia with its constant activity and suggests a mechanism behind the world, something that is mirrored by the industrial theme of the otherworld, especially in the central Silent Hill otherworld. The use of dreams and loss-of-consciousness mean that it's unclear whether what you're experiencing is real, or which world is real. The overall story is more compelling than in the third game in concept and you are required to complete a completely optional investigation quest in order to discover the truth, something that I still wish had been repeated in the following games.

I love this series, and after playing the three in the last week (they take around 2 hours each if you skip cutscenes and rush), I'd rate the series as such: 2>>1>3>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>4

Don't even get me started on 4

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 3:49 am

dark souls

conanthewarrior
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Jul 2017, 6:00 am

For me, at my age it was Silent hill 2.

I just got to the age where I could really understand it, the atmosphere and everything I found very scary, but in a good way. It is mostly psychological horror too, which I really enjoy.
Also the realisation at the end of the game what has really happened to Mary was chilling.

I've recently found a few newer games to be quite scary, such as outlast, but nothing will ever top SH2 for me just because of my age and understanding when I got it.

danielwright
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Jul 2017, 10:28 am

F.E.A.R or Dead Space.

graywyvern
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2017, 11:40 am

there's a form of four-player chess called bughouse, where the two teams each play white & black opposite each other, & the captured pieces from one board can be placed anywhere on the other teammate's board when it's their turn. couple this with a speedy time-limit, & amazing checkmates can spring literally out of nowhere. but not for the faint of heart.

reasoning." --William Blake

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 1:07 am

Another one I get riled up with is silent hill 2, those pleading squelching noises when you walk through the woods before the graveyard are quite merciless for example, now take that single piece and knit every other little thread of unease and the atmosphere is enough to suffocate you, the fog is sentencing you to endless adrenaline surging!

KagamineLen
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 5:06 pm

Spec Ops - The Line.

Yeah..... That campaign was flat out disturbing.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 7:29 pm

Honestly? It's still Silent Hill 2.

gumstip
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Aug 2017, 5:59 pm

Watch Dogs.

I sucked at video games at the time, and the game over screen made me so scared.

Haven't touched the game since.

Zaarin
Raven
Raven

13 Aug 2017, 9:22 pm

I'm not really into horror games, but I'd have to say the Burial At Sea DLC for BioShock Infinite. "La vie en rose" still makes me shudder.

--"Galadriel's Song of Eldamar"