Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 4:40 am

ruveyn wrote:
Beauty_pact wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
She almost won the Darwin Award.

ruveyn

You really are a terrible person, aren't you...? There really is no limit to the things you say, at times. The Japanese should be wiped out, the Afghans should, as well, and a girl who is served a drink that she very likely was unaware of what contained, apparently did it to herself, thus deserving a "Darwin Award".

At least you are old. Still, it's a shame that you will die such a bitter and overwhelmingly cynical old man, when you do. I honestly feel kind of sad for you.

My grandchildren like me.

ruveyn

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 11:07 am

VIDEODROME wrote:
I have had a bubbling smoking mixed drink before and I'm fine. The ingredient was simple Dry Ice.

Hasn't this bar heard of freakin Dry Ice?

Dry ice isn't as big of a deal. Its over 100c (over 212F) warmer than liquid nitrogen. The safety issues with that are nowhere near as extreme.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 11:23 am

I would agree with the girls nomination for a Darwin award if she had poured herself a glass of liquid nitrogen in a laboratory and drunk it; however she had a right as consumer in an establishment that serves food & drink to expect not to be served something that could kill or severely injure her. As far as she was concerned it was likely just a gimmick but not dangerous. I would similarly expect food & drink establishments not to serve drinks laced with cyanide or food with shards of glass or syringe needles as a gimmick. She should sue the establishment for the harm they have done.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 1:55 pm

John_Browning wrote:
VIDEODROME wrote:
I have had a bubbling smoking mixed drink before and I'm fine. The ingredient was simple Dry Ice.

Dry ice isn't as big of a deal. Its over 100c (over 212F) warmer than liquid nitrogen. The safety issues with that are nowhere near as extreme.

Exactly. It makes me wonder why they would even mess with something as extreme as Liquid Nitrogen. If you want a drink to look like a bubbling brew just use food grade Dry Ice.

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 10:17 pm

VIDEODROME wrote:

Was wondering that myself.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 11:02 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Because it's so funny when establishments knowingly serve poisonous drinks to their customers. :roll:

The drink would have been fine if the effect had been allowed to subside but no-one should be expected to know this sort of stuff.

I agree though that it's way too dangerous to give to people. Leave that stuff to the laboratory - I know that Lancaster is a uni city (and there are some good pubs there), but Christ.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 7:04 am

Quote:

100 celcius degress are equal to 180 farenheit degrees.

Meanwhile, I put the blame firmly on the bar. When I order food or drink in an establishment, I expect the food or the drink that is provided to me to be safe to consume.

bnky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Oct 2012, 8:37 am

I'm a bit puzzled here. Could someone explain why it didn't freeze her mouth first?

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 12:01 pm

Read up on the Liedenfrost effect.

In short, if a liquid is in close proximity to a solid that is significantly hotter than the liquid's boiling point, a layer of vapour will develop between the solid and the liquid, and serve to insulate the one from the other. Heat transfer is limited to the conductivity of the vapour. Since the body is about 241 degrees celcius hotter than nitrogen's boiling point, the effect could suffice to protect her from immediate consequences to her mouth and throat, and not devitalize tissue until the liquid came into direct contact with her esophagus.

The most significant damage to her stomach likely came from a combination of devitalized, frozen (and thus rigid) tissue which was subjected to increasing pressure as the nitrogen boiled and expanded.

xmh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Oct 2012, 12:52 pm

Would dry ice pellets be safe (assuming that they are free floating inside the drink, not contained in a sleeve)? I would doubt that ingesting a solid pellet of dry ice would be healthy.

Quote:
The drink would have been fine if the effect had been allowed to subside but no-one should be expected to know this sort of stuff.

At the point the drink is handed over to the customer it should be safe to consume immediately. Alcohol will cloud the judgement and reduce compliance with safety instructions (such as wait until it stops seeming before consuming).

bnky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Oct 2012, 5:58 pm

visagrunt wrote:
Read up on the Liedenfrost effect.

In short, if a liquid is in close proximity to a solid that is significantly hotter than the liquid's boiling point, a layer of vapour will develop between the solid and the liquid, and serve to insulate the one from the other. Heat transfer is limited to the conductivity of the vapour. Since the body is about 241 degrees celcius hotter than nitrogen's boiling point, the effect could suffice to protect her from immediate consequences to her mouth and throat, and not devitalize tissue until the liquid came into direct contact with her esophagus.

The most significant damage to her stomach likely came from a combination of devitalized, frozen (and thus rigid) tissue which was subjected to increasing pressure as the nitrogen boiled and expanded.

Excellent! Thanks 8)

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 8:13 am

It's not her fault. How was she even supposed to know that there was liquid nitrogen in there? If I was some place that had fancy steaming drinks I would assume that a licensed place that serves food and/or drinks would only be serving things that are safe.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 9:19 am

When I was 18 I was really stupid,so I might have drank a beverage like that.It just seems wrong to serve a drink that has a chance of doing that kind of damage if improperly served.
Especially to young,inebriated kids,and at 18 your still a kid.What if something like this was done at a Halloween party for little kids( punch instead of alcohol)?

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 9:29 am

Plus if she even thought to ask who knows if they would have told her what was in it and she could have had friends peer pressuring her, acting as though she was being chicken or paranoid if she even had any reservations about drinking it.

I remember at a food thing I went to with multicultural food they wouldn't tell you at all what "haggis" was yet expected you to eat it anyways (I wouldn't try because I can't eat something if I don't know what it is). What if I was allergic to eating lamb? I wouldn't have known that was in it the first time I heard of it.

I don't like alcohol and once a while ago I had lobster bisque at a restaurant and felt ill after. I didn't find out until later that there is alcohol in that and that the alcohol doesn't always all cook off when used in cooking. It's usually not much but it can be important to know if you are allergic to alcohol or an alcoholic or don't want to consume any alcohol at all.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 3:07 pm

I always found that I get more pain from picking up dry ice pellets than getting a splash with liquid nitrogen. I think that dry ice in drinks is a super stupid idea.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Kiseki94
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Oct 2012, 12:43 pm

SickInDaHead wrote:
Yeah you see I think a lot of people with AS would look at this "smoking" drink and wonder what the draw is. It makes as much sense as going to a concert and screaming "woooooooooooo!! !! !" all night.

NTs think we are the ret*ds....

I clap to show my enjoyment at a concert. I hate it when someone introduces himself on stage and everyone screams after every word. It's like... Hello.... WOOO! my name is.... WOOOOO! Let the poor guy finish his sentence!

As per the drink, I'm a chem major and would never consider drinking something that had a suspicious vapor coming off of it.