Using large, obscure words

Data dumping

not drinking

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 5:26 am

I've got another one:

Avoiding my brother, who lives with me. (Exiting the room when he comes in because I would rather not be in the same room as him because he has annoying habits that goes against my AS).

Jediyoda
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Oct 2012, 5:47 am

1. Wearing computer game, The Big Bang Theory shirts, science fiction shirts and movie shirts. Wearing shorts and shirts not dresses and skirts.
2. Having male friends and not female friends and being one of the boys.
3. Liking football, V8 supercars, dirtbikes, skateboarding, snowboarding, skating, bmx and mountain bikes.
4. My place looks like Sheldon and Lenards place from Big Bang Theory.
5. Talking about my Interest which is airplanes, computer games, science fiction and superheros such as The Avengers, Batman and Superman.
6. Me being Me.

Jediyoda
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Oct 2012, 6:00 am

7. Not smoking, drinking.
8. No eye to eye contact.
9. Walking with my head down and walking funny.
10. Helping people and being nice.
11. Having a nickname Yoda.
12. Talking loud, talking to myself, laughing and having a crazy
sense of humour, jokes.

0utsideLookingIn
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Oct 2012, 6:35 am

1. I've been listening to the same CD in my car since May (my husband now shuts of the audio as soon as he gets in the car).
2. I randomly repeat words that other people have said.
3. I have big stuffed dog that I like to hug and run my hand over his fur when I'm tired or bored.
4. I laugh manically at little things that other people don't find funny.
5. I'll spend an abnormal amount of time trying to find just the right word to express a concept and I sometimes develop a fear that the word I really want to use doesn't actually exist.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 6:43 am

Quote:
7. Not smoking, drinking.

How is that weird? I know some normal people who don't smoke or drink, ever.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 6:47 am

the only thing i do that makes me seem "weird" is failing to be interested in other peoples opinions or stories.
i really could not care less about what people say to me mainly. there are 7 billion mouths all saying their words and when they are blended together it sounds like "shhhhhhhhhhhhhh" (which is mildly ironic)

i do not seek to investigate what anyone says to me. as far as i am concerned, when they say what they say, the conversation is over. i am told that i should ask questions about what people say, but i am not really interested in what they say to a sufficient degree to ask any questions.

i am interested in certain people to a greater degree than i am interested in simple populators, but even then, i am rather unconcerned about whether life exists outside my mind.

Jediyoda
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Oct 2012, 6:56 am

I agree Joe NTs think I'm boring and too straight laced.

Giygas

16 Oct 2012, 7:30 am

1. My parents have noticed that I have an odd posture; I don't move my arms enough when I'm walking.

2. I bounce on a fitness ball whenever I'm excited to help keep my thoughts vivid (this also works by walking and running).

3. I persistently ask questions about anything that involves science and current events, but very rarely about people.

4. I've often found myself making big smiles with wide eyes whenever someone else takes a photo of me, telling me to smile.

5. My parents have also noticed that the volume of my voice is higher than others when we go to public places.

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 9:23 pm

I pace and fidget. I can't stop pacing and fidgeting. I just attended my uncles funeral. I couldn't stop walking around at the reception and dinner buffet afterwards. My joints ached.

I listen to music all day long.

I rock. I guess this goes up to the fidgeting in the first "paragraph".

I still sleep with stuffed animals.

On rare occasions, I suck my thumbs or fingers.

I live very much in the moment. I was happy right before and the day after the funeral, but during and shortly after, I was very upset to see Chrissy and a lot of other people crying.

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 10:50 pm

outofplace wrote:
Walking with my head down

Yep.

Quote:
Using large, obscure words

Yep.

Quote:
not drinking

Yep.

Also...

-Pacing, stimming
-My loud voice
-Meltdowns, shutdowns, overreactions to relatively minor problems
-My tendency to pick at my skin, my nose, etc...
-Attention to small details
-Avoiding eye contact
-My various phobias

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 12:10 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
Cut my hair the way that Mick Avory has it in my avatar and that was in the January of 1964. I don't have a problem with my hair the way I cut it this morning. It goes well with my inner Male, and the most current year on the calender at all times, is just a cluster of four numbers to me.

It's the naturalists who have a problem with it. The ones who say that people are the genders that they're born and that's that. They don't have to look at me, if they don't want. They can look at their partners and children, instead - or crushes for that matter.

Ageists are just as bad. I just ignore them. 8)

I first read that as naturists (nudists) having a problem! HAhaHAhaha

What brands me as a freak?

Having my nose in my work while everyone else in the shop is drinking and talking the way they do.
Putting an item back on the shelf or saving up for it if I don't have enough money to buy it.
Pointing out it to the cashier if I was undercharged or got too much change back.
Believing cars are wasteful for just one person to occupy.
Wearing a pair of Crocs from the time I get up until the time I go to bed.
Repeating phrases I hear that interest me and verbalizing ones from my head, like "Bruce Lee Jazz".
Making mondegreens on purpose.
Showing up to a gathering with a guitar I'll end up not playing.
Not really being interested in other people's gadgets unless they ask me to fix something

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 12:35 am

My list is so long if it includes things I do at home (only in front of my family) too.

1) weird laugh
2) weird walk-awkward gait
3) weird speech- normal inflection, not monotone but I have a weird rhythm of speech some times- can be too slow or fast-some people think I have an odd accent- and have a huge issue with modulating voice volume- way too loud when everyone else is quiet-told to be quiet then comes out as whisper.
4) weird facial expressions/gestures-making a kind of claw/half fist when angry and a really exaggerated expression (and growling sometimes) , a weird half smile with scrunched up nose expression (which is like my "polite" fake smile or a "manic smile with bulging eyes for fake smile) , bulging eyes sometimes when I'm looking at people etc.
5)talk to myself, hum and sing to myself.
6)read novels out loud for hours (as this covers up little noises around me and lets me focus). I think this is weird even for an aspie- I mean that I'll read thousand page books cover to cover out loud- I read kids with learning disabilities sometimes talk to themselves while working or read aloud in school to help them organize and focus- this could be why-I have an LD. Sometimes I listen to audio books.. I love them too.
7)do shoulder stands for extended periods while watching T.V
8)spend 5-7 hours a day on average reading
9) stim by twirling string in front of my face and feeling objects that I like the feel of- rub and squeeze giant purple unicorn stuffed animal (normal for a child- I am 27 years old ).
10) collect stuffed animal frogs
11) have a list of novels that people from facebook read or list in their "liked books" that I update every now and then- and want to make an alphabetical list of books people read on WP from the "post a book you're reading thread" but haven't got around to it yet.
12) daydream about being an elf
13) weird studying habits- don't take any notes - highlight everything in a textbook- or don't highlight-just read repeatedly and read out loud.
14) cover my ears when I hear sounds I don't like and cover one ear while lying on my side in the mornings and scratch at the side of my mattress with my other hand when my mum gets up before me and makes noise.
15) eat the same foods for dinner and breakfast and watch the same shows at night (while eating).
16) go on and on, dominate conversations, give too much detail in descriptions- basically just talk too much or write too much in papers for school or emails ect.
17)listen to children's songs on youtube for hours -as the music I normally listen to - children's folk songs (e.g Waltzing Matilda, , In the Month of May) or disney/cartoon songs ect. and watch children's cartoons.
18)sometimes repeat rhymes and alliterations that I like the sound of or recite poems over and over again for a long time (do this in private).

Last edited by daydreamer84 on 17 Oct 2012, 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

revolutionrocknroll
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Oct 2012, 12:54 am

I'm not too sure about what people find weird or not, but here are a few things:

1) I prefer to run to get places. Like crossing the street from my dorm to the dining hall. It's just more efficient and faster than walking, and good exercise. I don't know why people think it's weird, or why no one else does it. When I do walk, it's a pretty abnormal gait.

2) I don't know how to talk to other people, or what to talk about. I usually default to dog behavior.

3) People have commented on how I talk in a monotone and how my face isn't very expressive :/
Pretty rudely actually, like in class evaluations for public speaking projects.

4) Sometimes in big lectures I start stimming or covering my ears when the professor tells the class to discuss in partners or groups. 100+ people talking at once in an echo-y room.

5) My family got an Italian exchange student for the year and for part of the summer I had to sleep in the basement because she's in my room. And I had to sleep on this pullout couch. And it has the WORST TEXTURE EVER. And it makes the WORST SQUEAKY, NAILS-ON-CHALKBOARDESQUE SOUND EVER. So I was folding it up one day when my mom was in the basement and she was giving me this weird look because I was jumping around and making moaning noises. So I told her the couch had an awful texture. And she was like "Okay...." and I was like, "I'm not being weird! [My sister] hates it too!" And my sister called down from upstairs "Yeah Mom, it's awful!" So I won xD

6) I also pace a lot at home and I don't like sitting in seats that aren't "mine" either at the dinner table or in class or in the car or whatever.

monstermunch
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Oct 2012, 4:17 am

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
not drinking

Yep.

You must know some nasty and/or immature people then because Im Nt and I dont drink and my friends dont really say anything neither does other people that I know, in the adult world it isnt the end of the world if you drink or not, maybe teenagers get a bit crazed up on it.