Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Oct 2010
Age: 177
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,851

16 Oct 2012, 3:39 am

Was thinking about experimenting with this to see if I feel healthier, but I don't know where to start. Has anyone here done a successful juice fast or how about an unsuccessful fast? What did you do and how did you feel?

Just a note: I'm not interested in weird juice fasts like just drinking pure lemon juice/water for a week or cayenne juice/water or anything like that.


_________________
Don't you mind people grinnin' in your face


Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Mar 2011
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,558
Location: gondwana

16 Oct 2012, 4:20 am

I have never done a juice fast but I regularly do water fasts. Most of the time 3 ,7 or 10 day fasts. I have done one 21 day fast before.



A_floating_moon
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2012
Age: 33
Gender: Female
Posts: 150
Location: The sand above your head / Midwest US

16 Oct 2012, 8:59 am

I've been thinking about doing this as well, though I have had what I think is low blood pressure and I'm a low weight already for my height, so I'm a little afraid to try it. I'm leaning more towards doing a water fast or drinking some kind of special tea.. Though, I don't like tea... Anyhow, I figure if I'm going to do it, I want to do it right. If I'm getting a bunch of sugar from juice, it doesn't seem as much like a fast and sounds like something that could lead to an upset stomach or too much sugar...

I've heard that you shouldn't fast with lemon juice, oranges, or other citrus fruits. Also, the fruit juice should be fresh, ideally. Well, considering that after an hour of sitting in a bottle, your juice probably won't have a lot of the nutrients in it that make it so great...



Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Oct 2010
Age: 177
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,851

16 Oct 2012, 6:47 pm

Water fasting sounds to hardcore for me. If I were too do a fast I would still want to consume more vitamins/minerals than what is just found in water.


_________________
Don't you mind people grinnin' in your face


Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Mar 2011
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,558
Location: gondwana

16 Oct 2012, 6:53 pm

Pondering wrote:
Water fasting sounds to hardcore for me. If I were too do a fast I would still want to consume more vitamins/minerals than what is just found in water.


You have to remember that with a juice fast, your diet is very high fiber and most people are left with the runs and face dehydration. Both types of fasts have their upsides and downsides. I personally prefer a water fast with some herbal teas thrown in for good measure so i don't face dehyration.

Also some people do an alternating fast 2 days juice, 1 day water and alternate.



Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Oct 2010
Age: 177
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,851

16 Oct 2012, 7:11 pm

My juicer seperates most of the fiber from the juice. It's mostly just juice with the occasional tiny specks of pulp inside. I'm kind of confused how one would avoid the runs with any fast since all that is basically being consumed is liquids. Water and tea does sound a bit better than just water...

Solvejg wrote:
Pondering wrote:
Water fasting sounds to hardcore for me. If I were too do a fast I would still want to consume more vitamins/minerals than what is just found in water.


You have to remember that with a juice fast, your diet is very high fiber and most people are left with the runs and face dehydration. Both types of fasts have their upsides and downsides. I personally prefer a water fast with some herbal teas thrown in for good measure so i don't face dehyration.

Also some people do an alternating fast 2 days juice, 1 day water and alternate.


_________________
Don't you mind people grinnin' in your face


Gravechylde
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 17 Mar 2012
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 196
Location: Funeralopolis

21 Oct 2012, 9:35 am

If you are worried about possible bad effects or just not being used to it you could try doing intermittent fasting to get used to it. I've personally been doing the leangains style of IF where I eat in a 4-6 hour period and don't eat anything for the rest of the day. It's kinda hard the first few days, but then your body gets used to it and you barely get hungry throughout the day. I've been doing IF for a few months now and some days I realize in the evening "Oh I haven't eaten yet", without feeling any negative effects.


_________________
I speak with a whisper and feel with a shout


Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Jan 2008
Age: 41
Gender: Female
Posts: 948
Location: Pennsylvania 78787878 787878 7878787878787878

27 Oct 2012, 9:24 pm

I've fasted before, the longest I've done it is two weeks. Mainly they were tea, water and juice fasts (that is, I drink all of these on a fast, I've never done just exclusively one of these.)

I've found the first 1-2 days are the hardest, the rest of the days are easier for a while until the deep hunger starts up after 10-12 days. The only real bad thing I've ever found from these fasts is the incredible boredom I get from not eating. I am one of those folks that eats when they are bored or restless. :?

To Pondering,
Be careful of doing a fast if you have diabetes or some other special condition (or taking meds) as it can affect how your body metabolizes things. If you have one of these conditions or are taking meds I'd ask a doctor first just in case, because sometimes fasting induces ketosis and it can have weird effects on your body.


_________________
Crispy Pickles!!


antifeministfrills
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 12 Aug 2012
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Posts: 191

01 Nov 2012, 5:41 am

Metalwolf wrote:
I've fasted before, the longest I've done it is two weeks. Mainly they were tea, water and juice fasts (that is, I drink all of these on a fast, I've never done just exclusively one of these.)

I've found the first 1-2 days are the hardest, the rest of the days are easier for a while until the deep hunger starts up after 10-12 days. The only real bad thing I've ever found from these fasts is the incredible boredom I get from not eating. I am one of those folks that eats when they are bored or restless. :?

To Pondering,
Be careful of doing a fast if you have diabetes or some other special condition (or taking meds) as it can affect how your body metabolizes things. If you have one of these conditions or are taking meds I'd ask a doctor first just in case, because sometimes fasting induces ketosis and it can have weird effects on your body.


Doesn't fasting always induce ketosis (water fasting, that is, or juice fasting if there isn't much juice or it is consumed infrequently)?



MrObvious
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: 26 Nov 2011
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 106

03 Nov 2012, 1:25 pm

I've watched some documentaires on it. The first few days you will have diarrhea but your body will adapt. This one guy who did it lost 60 pounds, stopped taking steroids for his autoimmune disease, and felt better. It's on Youtube; the guy is from Australia and goes from NYC to I think LA in two months time. The second person supposedly was schizophrenic and could control her symptoms and felt normal. She didn't do a juice fast but just ate raw foods (all fruits and vegetables). That might not be bad for our Asperger's.



MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2009
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,007

03 Nov 2012, 2:18 pm

I wouldn't call it fasting, but I've replaced my first daily meal with blended produce that I store in a freezer. I've noticed less of an urge to eat throughout the day (not that I don't eat, I'm just restricted to a vending machine diet when I'm out and about). More frequent BM (TMI, but probably the best part about the diet).

I just input all the ingredients into a health tracker HERE the only nutrients missing from this diet are the one's found in most fast-food items. Keep in mind that all the calories/nutrients you see last about 2 weeks or so, it's still a good idea to watch what you're eating when you're out and about, but this will take the hunger stimulus down a notch.

I had to buy a ninja blender and an additional box freezer ($350 overall), but I spend about $30 every two weeks on the actual food.