Page 2 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 10:48 am

BlueMax wrote:
Jediyoda wrote:
Is there a Star Wars or Star Trek Monopoly board game?

The Star Wars one should be relatively easy to find. Trek? Don't think so...

There's several different versions of both Star Trek and Star Wars Monopoly. Most of them were limited edition though, and aren't sold new anymore. Here's one version of Star Trek Monopoly that's sold out at the moment.

eelektrik
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 1:08 pm

I play good board games. Which means, I don't play Monopoly. Monopoly is one of the crappiest most luck based board games ever. Any game that the primary form of gameplay involves rolling dice and following a linear, looping path over and over, I don't play. I play strategic or creative games.

AScomposer13413
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2012, 6:40 pm

eelektrik wrote:
I play good board games. Which means, I don't play Monopoly. Monopoly is one of the crappiest most luck based board games ever. Any game that the primary form of gameplay involves rolling dice and following a linear, looping path over and over, I don't play. I play strategic or creative games.

Except Monopoly has the concepts of property financing (how much money do you have to pay to keep the property, morgaging) and budgeting (do I pay exact change?) on top of rolling the dice and hoping you do or don't land on particular spaces, so there is strategy.

Then I have done my job

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

19 Oct 2012, 11:17 pm

Has anybody tried the McDonald's version of this game every October?

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

eelektrik
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2012, 11:26 pm

AScomposer13413 wrote:
eelektrik wrote:

Except Monopoly has the concepts of property financing (how much money do you have to pay to keep the property, morgaging) and budgeting (do I pay exact change?) on top of rolling the dice and hoping you do or don't land on particular spaces, so there is strategy.

It just devolves into people going in circles until the dice randomly make them land on a space that costs them money, repeat until all but one person is bankrupt. The point is, you roll the dice and are forced to land on a specific space based on what you rolled. Its completely random. You have no choice to go a different direction. Linear dice based movement is one of, if not, the worst mechanic ever invented for a board game.

Monopoly is the Twilight of board games. Immensely popular for no relation to its actual quality.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 1:23 am

Venger wrote:

NERDGASM!!

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 1:25 am

eelektrik wrote:
AScomposer13413 wrote:
eelektrik wrote:

It just devolves into people going in circles until the dice randomly make them land on a space that costs them money, repeat until all but one person is bankrupt. The point is, you roll the dice and are forced to land on a specific space based on what you rolled. Its completely random. You have no choice to go a different direction. Linear dice based movement is one of, if not, the worst mechanic ever invented for a board game.

Monopoly is the Twilight of board games. Immensely popular for no relation to its actual quality.

Monopoly has some strategy to it even though a lot of it is based on "random-chance" like many other board games. The same is true for most card games such as Poker and Blackjack.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 1:46 am

Strategy comes on deciding in which properties to build on, how much money to invest and how much to save in case something goes bad, which properties to mortgage, and very importantly, which properties to trade for which other ones. Otherwise it's all chance. The thing is; the property exchanging part involves a fair bit of social skills (I remember a game where my sister would guilt trip my mother in order to rip her off) and if you're obviously winning, people will sometimes gang up on you.

Oh and I love it when I've got a hotel in Broadwalk and they fall in. And hate the oppposite :lol:

Last edited by Shatbat on 20 Oct 2012, 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 1:55 am

lol, That bald guy probably stops the game while he adds everything up with a calculator.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 7:02 am

BlueMax wrote:
NERDGASM!!

This must be your favorite version judging by your avatar. lol

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 11:41 am

I used to but most people winge because they want the car... so I don't really bother.

www.wrongplanet.net/postp5013377.html&h ... t=#5013377

Sora: "My friends are my power."

Ventus: "I'm asking you as a friend. Just... put an end to me."

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2012, 3:46 am

Usually, the way I determine a winner given how soon my game ends is who has the most assets.

[img][800:1000]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61Hb49PrbgL._AA1000_.jpg[/img]

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2012, 7:29 am

I bought the Duel Masters edition back in 2005; it got some mileage. :D

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2012, 5:37 am

Has anyone played Monopoly online? I wish I could with some WPers someday.... but that is just me.

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2012, 1:39 pm

equestriatola wrote:
Has anyone played Monopoly online? I wish I could with some WPers someday.... but that is just me.

http://www.pogo.com/games/monopoly

You mean like this by any chance?

www.wrongplanet.net/postp5013377.html&h ... t=#5013377

Sora: "My friends are my power."

Ventus: "I'm asking you as a friend. Just... put an end to me."

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2012, 5:13 pm

Close enough.