Hello! Welcome!

Ha ha ha ha that was a funny picture!

Thanks for the welcome, Plodder.

Asc3000
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Oct 2012, 11:21 am

Destidude wrote:
While having a preference for a larger sphere of personal space than others, I've also felt compelled to genuinely connect with other people. The latter need has been satisfied by a close relationship with my wife but, nevertheless, I'm often bothered by the superficiality of connections beyond my immediate family. Aside from my need for personal space, what separates myself from others is my aloof and peculiar demeanor. Family members have suggested that my differences may be Aspergers although I'm not sure I fall neatly within those lines and I'm skeptical of hasty self-diagnoses.

Welcome, you sound a lot like me. There's a thread somewhere on here linking numerous quizzes that may give you an indication whether you are an aspie or not. There's some good books to read as well.

Destidude
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Oct 2012, 11:43 am

Asc3000 wrote:
Destidude wrote:
While having a preference for a larger sphere of personal space than others, I've also felt compelled to genuinely connect with other people. The latter need has been satisfied by a close relationship with my wife but, nevertheless, I'm often bothered by the superficiality of connections beyond my immediate family. Aside from my need for personal space, what separates myself from others is my aloof and peculiar demeanor. Family members have suggested that my differences may be Aspergers although I'm not sure I fall neatly within those lines and I'm skeptical of hasty self-diagnoses.

Welcome, you sound a lot like me. There's a thread somewhere on here linking numerous quizzes that may give you an indication whether you are an aspie or not. There's some good books to read as well.

Hmm, which thread category would I find a nice, quick, reliable quiz for this stuff?

Asc3000
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Oct 2012, 11:48 am

Destidude wrote:
Hmm, which thread category would I find a nice, quick, reliable quiz for this stuff?

Well, it's not quick but http://rdos.net/eng/ gives results and a breakdown of traits. I don't recall which thread though.

Destidude
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Oct 2012, 12:38 pm

Asc3000 wrote:
Destidude wrote:

Well, it's not quick but http://rdos.net/eng/ gives results and a breakdown of traits. I don't recall which thread though.

Thanks for the link. Alright, so I did the quiz on that site.

Here are the results:
Your Aspie score: 128 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 87 of 200

I guess the next thing I should do is make that part of my signature?

Asc3000
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Oct 2012, 3:01 pm

Destidude wrote:

If you want to. I got a 182 and 22.

Destidude
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Oct 2012, 3:07 pm

Asc3000 wrote:
Destidude wrote:

If you want to. I got a 182 and 22.

That's looks very deep into the spectrum. I'm not really sure what to make of the number differences - I would have thought a very high aspie to neurotypical ratio would lead to a very difficult employment situation. What kind of work did you do before?

Asc3000
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Oct 2012, 3:19 pm

Destidude wrote:
That's looks very deep into the spectrum. I'm not really sure what to make of the number differences - I would have thought a very high aspie to neurotypical ratio would lead to a very difficult employment situation. What kind of work did you do before?

Civil engineering. It was very hard to handle the social aspects, but the design and drafting was my passion. Like I said, mimicry was how I got by. But once people knew me well I could relax a little. The fact that I compensated by being twice as fast/productive as everyone else kept me employed. That's pretty common I understand.