Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 4:00 pm

Have any of you noticed what is going on with the Boy Scouts of America. The national organization has been keeping the lid on reports of adult leaders making foul use of the rectums of young boy scouts. The victims have been "encouraged" not to make a public stink and the management has been covering up for the bad actors. It is just like what was and is going on in the Catholic Church.

Please see:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns- ... 6531.story

ruveyn

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 4:46 pm

I am immediately suspicious about any organisation run predominately by middle aged men for the sole purpose for recruiting adolescent boys.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 5:05 pm

Apparently, a sexual relation between individuals of the same sex is only a problem for Christianity when both participants are consenting adults :scratch:.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 5:11 pm

GGPViper wrote:
Apparently, a sexual relation between individuals of the same sex is only a problem for Christianity when both participants are consenting adults :scratch:.

...or possibly when the accused can't get away with it.

In the defence of Christianity though its only certain sects that are responsible. Blaming all Christendom for these instances is like blaming Karl Marx for the atrocities of the Soviet Union or Mao's China.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 5:18 pm

There is a Christian summer camp in this area that is in trouble for the same,Camp Kanukkanuk or something like that.Parents thought their young kids were going to have fun in the wilderness but the owner was giving bible lessons in his hot tub with young ,age 12 or so boys.I was a girl scout for a couple years,no trouble there but what adult really wants to take a bunch of kids that aren't theirs camping?It alwas seemed suspicious to me also.But I don't mean any disrespect to people who truly just want to help kids have a good time in the woods and teach them skills,there has to be a few good ones out there,I hope.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 6:49 pm

Misslizard wrote:
There is a Christian summer camp in this area that is in trouble for the same,Camp Kanukkanuk or something like that.Parents thought their young kids were going to have fun in the wilderness but the owner was giving bible lessons in his hot tub with young ,age 12 or so boys.I was a girl scout for a couple years,no trouble there but what adult really wants to take a bunch of kids that aren't theirs camping?It alwas seemed suspicious to me also.But I don't mean any disrespect to people who truly just want to help kids have a good time in the woods and teach them skills,there has to be a few good ones out there,I hope.

Does a scoutmaster sh*t in the woods? No! He buggers in the woods.

ruveyn

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 7:21 pm

I can just see it now,the scoutmaster has to do a search for those pesky Lyme disease carrying ticks,the boys will need help rubbing on the insect repellent,sunscreen,and of course they will need to be snuggly tucked into bed.I wonder how many will come forward and tell what happened?No wonder a lot of kids didn't want to go to summer camp.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 9:19 pm

Kids need to be educated about pervs and the things they might say and do. Keeping children naive just makes them easy targets.

MagicToenail
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Oct 2012, 10:46 pm

The scouting movement's founder, Robert Baden-Powell was a pretty odd duck sexually. He admired "the male form" and denigrated the female form quite openly, although he did manage to marry and father children.

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 10:56 pm

I think it's a bit unfair to hate on the Boy Scouts or the Catholic Church for being infested with child molesters.

Presumably, it's because child molesters seek out these roles, not because the organisations are somehow inherently evil. And there will always be roles which attract child molesters. If they don't go into the Boy Scouts or the Catholic Church, then they'll just become PE teachers or something.

But you can certainly hate on an organisation when it attempts to hide its infestation from the authorities.

In my opinion, ruveyn's original post has the right emphasis, but a couple of other posts in this thread seem to be implying that Christianity or Baden-Powell's legacy actually create child molesters.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 11:10 pm

I didn't mean that all Christian groups are full of molesters,but it was a Christian camp so to me it just seems wrong to use this as a cover to diddle little boys.What,a Christian molest?Never! It's the one place really religious people thought their kids would be safe,away from the evil old world.I believe they are called wolves in sheep's clothing.And a lot of these groups did cover up years of abuse.I'm sorry that the people in these groups that truly care have now got their reputation tarnished but maybe more people will speak out if they think abuse is happening,maybe more kids will be informed and speak up before a perve gets a chance to molest dozens of kids.

MagicToenail
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Oct 2012, 11:21 pm

Puts on Liberal Feminist Hat
Baden-Powell was a near fascist. (although ironically if Germany invaded Britain, his Scouts would have been a target) and the Catholic Church of course is a very authoritarian organization.
Pedophiles depend most of all on the fig leaf of authority over their subjects. Maybe the organizations are just inherently structurally flawed because of their authoritarian streaks.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2012, 4:51 pm

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2012, 5:50 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:

That's truly disgusting.
Not only is it a matter that the church hierarchy wants to keep as many priests as possible on the job when priests are becoming a rarity, but as priests themselves, they see themselves as spiritually superior and of more worth than the laity.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2012, 8:12 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Not only is it a matter that the church hierarchy wants to keep as many priests as possible on the job when priests are becoming a rarity

Especially in North America, most of Europe and Oceania. Perhaps it's different in Africa and the Christian countries of the Far East and South America.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2012, 8:57 pm

MagicToenail wrote:
The scouting movement's founder, Robert Baden-Powell was a pretty odd duck sexually. He admired "the male form" and denigrated the female form quite openly, although he did manage to marry and father children.

He closed his eyes and pretended he was buggering a boy.

ruveyn