Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2012, 6:04 pm

I seriously like this game but doubt there would be anyone else who does here. Oh well...

It's a Strategy game based on defending the earth from extraterrestrial activity.
Chryssalids are an absolute pain...
Based off the original XCOM: UFO Defense/XCOM: Enemy Unknown in 1994.

www.wrongplanet.net/postp5013377.html&h ... t=#5013377

Sora: "My friends are my power."

Ventus: "I'm asking you as a friend. Just... put an end to me."

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2012, 6:38 pm

some of the changes form the original are a bit meh,

other than that htere are several improvements, the skill system for one, loads of neutral changes as well.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 11:35 am

Oodain wrote:
some of the changes form the original are a bit meh,

other than that htere are several improvements, the skill system for one, loads of neutral changes as well.

There's Shotguns and Sniper Rifles. Advanced Technology...
I dunno, guess I'm an odd ball. :lol:

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 11:45 am

I tried the demo and was seriously disappointed.

This new version dumps the micromanagement aspect which gave the original so much flexibility and immersiveness with a dumbed down shoot-only oriented gameplay.

Soldier were bulked up and look cartoonish... seriously, its like they put Buzz Lightyear in there. Just sad.

Aliens ... mmmph not dark or creepy enough to match the original. Even the roswell grey aliens look like invader zim.

I do give them kudos for adopting Bethesda's camera dramatics (Fallout games) since it does add to the game.

The ONE thing that was new that I really liked was that you have to go around the planet finding alien incursions...that was really fun. The original simply had you waiting for something to pop up.

Overall, I give this new Xcom a 3/10 rating.

Lost a lot of points for the dumbing down of the combat system and cartoonish'ing of graphics.

Plus it does not work on Win XP. Big failure imo.

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 5:27 pm

Heh... if this is getting a bad reception. Me thinks the FPS version they are planning will be slaughtered.
Besides... there is OpenXcom which is a port of the classic UFO Defence that works on XP and newer... Mac and Linux so for those looking for a way to play the classic, there ya go. It's still work in progress but it's going smoothly it seems.

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 5:33 pm

Another thing that I would admit with this game is that the Chryssalids look nothing like the originals...
They just look like bugs with sharp ends... which is appauling.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 6:39 pm

Passes UFO on many counts. Doesn't pass UFO on many counts. It's good, fun to play, but I'm still waiting. Be interesting to see where they take the DLC.

It's a shame that the Silent Storm and UFO: AfterX series aren't being developed, and that the only serious competitor (Xenonauts) is firmly low-budget / old-style. (As is UFO:ET:2, but that's gone quiet of late. :( )

The year is still young.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2012, 4:48 am

I really love the game. I wish the Jagged Alliance remake had been anywhere near as good. I think removing the inventory system and action points were great ideas, as personally I hated micromanaging inventory items which took me away from the more fun parts of the game.

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2012, 1:10 pm

.I quite like it.But i think a lot of the changes are driven by a need to be compliant with current console technology.

Firaxis have caught the spirit of the game but they never said it would be a carbon copy remake. I still have the original xcom games on my hd.

There does seem to be room for expansion of the base game though. Dlc addons? mods? we shall see

MrStewart
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2012, 11:32 pm

Great game. Best game released this year I think.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2012, 12:23 pm

Ho-hum, looks like they're going down the "s**t DLC" route. Pity.

The year is still young.

Ravenitrius
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2012, 2:59 pm

I've been thrown off from this X-Com version so I've been playing Xenonauts which plays more like the original and set during the cold war.

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2012, 4:57 pm

MrStewart wrote:
Great game. Best game released this year I think.

I dunno... most mainstream gamers would go for CoD, Dishonoured or AC III... so I'd like to agree but I can't see it becoming the best game of this year.

JockGitJnr
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Oct 2012, 5:28 pm

I have not even looked at he X-Com remake, because I know I will just end up being disappointed. I hold the original in far too high regard to like anything the tries to copy or recreate it. I have the same problem with Worms. I can't stand any worms game apart from the original (PC version not the Amiga Version called Total Wormage), while other people rave about them. I still own and play the original X-Com and I am sure I will continue to play it for many years

Mike_Garrick
Toucan
Toucan

25 Oct 2012, 6:15 pm

I bought the game, fairly disappointed though. It seems almost half finished.
Definitely not worth the full "AAA" price, more like a $30 game.
Not to mention the DLC that showed up the day after I bought it, something that should have been in the game to start with.

I never played the original but I suspect it was much better then this.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2012, 3:00 pm

Mike_Garrick wrote:
I never played the original but I suspect it was much better then this.

Both have their good points. In essence, X-COM sacrifices UFO's diversity and potential for varied play on the altar of graphics (albeit ones compromised by the need to handle inferior control devices and seven-years-obsolete hardware; in several respects (destructibility, view angle, clarity) Silent Storm has better graphics, and that's a game as old as the consoleboxes) and a narrower, more free-flowing gameplay which is at once better and worse than the original. Oh, and it now appears that they're geared up for an obnoxious approach to DLC.

Thing is, I can't, now, go back and play UFO or TFTD. They just feel too claustrophobic with the tiny little viewing area, not to mention the difficulty in getting them to run properly on a modern machine. The main alternatives to X-Com, for me, are UFO: Afterlight, Silent Storm, UFO: Extraterrestrials and Xenonauts. (I made the mistake of buying the JA remake *shudders*.) Xenonauts is cool, and the closest to UFO of any remake I've seen, but unfinished, and I don't want to spoil it by playing the unfinished version to death. UFO:ET... well, it's ok, even has some cool touches, but it drags. S2 is, in many ways, a very bad game (it's horribly unbalanced, hugely bugged, needlessly complicated (umpteen varieties of each weapon, horrendous inventory management and ammo tracking... and the plot, and the voice acting, ye gods*) but on the other hand it has the best system for blowing stuff up of any UFO clone (only let down by your troops not generally being well armed enough to appreciate it fully.) Afterlight has a much better base and team management side than X-Com, and better graphics in some ways, but it's not especially polished or balanced and it also drags.

It's interesting and a great shame that (almost?) all UFO clones have abandoned one of the central features of the original, the random maps. Too hard for the poor ickle modern programmers to handle. ^^

Hehe. I feel a spreadsheet coming on. I need to play S3 properly, as well, never really bothered much with it, and see if I can get a working version of Hammer & Sickle and Night Watch.

*actually, I love the voice acting. Same goes for After (WHAT!ever... FIRing!) light and its psychotic granny. But I feel I shouldn't. :wink:

The year is still young.