Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Hopetobe
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Oct 2012, 7:35 pm

I have schizoaffective disorder. Anyone else here?

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 8:04 am

Hopetobe wrote:

If you live in the States, Schizoaffective Disorder is being lumped in with Schizophrenia, much like how there will be no PDD or Asperger with the new DSM coming out.

My shrink friend said all his SA patients are in an up roar over it. He can't change their diagnosis to Bipolar, because the auditory hallucinations (among other things) are still present, even with a stable mood.

Just a heads up if you need to switch Shrinks.

My best friend has Schizoaffective Disorder. Not an easy diagnosis to live with.

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 12:43 pm

I have schizoaffective bipolar type. It isn't easy to live with. When I am having severe problems I am not functional at all.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 1:14 pm

Tawaki wrote:
If you live in the States, Schizoaffective Disorder is being lumped in with Schizophrenia, much like how there will be no PDD or Asperger with the new DSM coming out.

Unless the DSM-5 has made a new revision that I'm not aware of, this is incorrect. While it is true that schizoaffective disorder is going to be listed under psychotic disorders (along with schizophrenia), the diagnosis itself still is going to exist in DSM-5. It's just that they had to move the diagnosis to another area, since they are doing away with the mood disorder category, where schizoaffective disorder used to be listed. I would think that the uproar over SA's DSM-5 changes would be because of how the mood component is being largely ignored, as I ranted about in another thread. But at any rate, the future changes to SA are not like what is happening with ASDs. Asperger's as a diagnosis is being done away with, whereas SA is still an actual diagnosis that can be given.

Nash: Is there a difference?

Kalinda
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Oct 2012, 10:50 pm

FireBird wrote:
I have schizoaffective bipolar type. It isn't easy to live with. When I am having severe problems I am not functional at all.

Same here, it sucks. I confuse mostly myself.

"Almost always, the creative dedicated minority has made the world better." Martin Luther King, Jr.

greentigress
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Oct 2012, 1:22 pm

Hopetobe wrote:

I have schizophrenia
If they were ever going to pay that much attention to diagnosis in the old fashioned criteria I changed sub types from paranoid schizophrenia to Schizoaffective to hebephrenic

It's strange that Aspergers is not going to be diagnosed any more only AS on a scale
Will they retest everyone? Or will the tests they have done already be scored as our number?
I wasn't even honest
Maybe they will retest

wcoltd
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 12:29 pm

I was originally diagnosed with Paranoid Schizophrenia after my first hospitalization the diagnosis changed to Schizoaffective Bipolar Type I, same as my brother.

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2012, 4:26 pm

SA here :)

rocknrollslc
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 10:57 am

i had marijuana induced SA symptoms for a while, i was toking too much then which was in a way morphing my ultradian bipolar diagnosis into SA. hard times. i stopped smoking altogether and i'm back to my normal and (mostly) functioning aspie bipolar self, thank god.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 6:19 pm

I might have schizoaffective disorder, it's still not sure and I just changed shrinks recently.

So maybe, bipolar II, maybe SA, maybe just depression.
Something of those.
I know that I deff. have some schizotypal tendencies.

Hopetobe
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Nov 2012, 3:19 am

The worst thing I fear is that all my "difference" is not asperger but just schizoaffective disorder. I would rather be an aspie or other autism spectrum disorder, because aspies and autists are now starting to fight for their rights, protest against cure. I never heard or read about schizoaffectives doing it. :(

stickybubble
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Dec 2012, 1:50 am

Hopetobe wrote:
The worst thing I fear is that all my "difference" is not asperger but just schizoaffective disorder. I would rather be an aspie or other autism spectrum disorder, because aspies and autists are now starting to fight for their rights, protest against cure. I never heard or read about schizoaffectives doing it. :(

You need to get more involved with mental health support services in your area then, as there is a large and long-standing Service User movement for people with severe mental illness. We don't like the way we get treated ...

I don't know where you live at all so I can't suggest much, but if you are in the UK try hanging out at your local MIND day centre for a start, to meet like-minded individuals. It does depend where you live.

I have schizoaffective disorder too. Really all these names are just drawing lines in the sand. Mostly they just tell people what types of symptoms to expect, and guide the pdocs on what drugs to prescribe.

kaiouti
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Dec 2012, 9:46 pm

Suspected schizoaffective disorder w/ bipolar traits.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 8:47 am

Quote:
The worst thing I fear is that all my "difference" is not asperger but just schizoaffective disorder. I would rather be an aspie or other autism spectrum disorder, because aspies and autists are now starting to fight for their rights, protest against cure. I never heard or read about schizoaffectives doing it.

Dunno about schizoaffectives, because I think it's an uncommon condition, but I have heard of both schizophrenic and bipolar (especially bipolar) people talking about neurodiversity.

Check out A Mind Apart, for example. The author of that book is bipolar.

And the Anti-psychiatry movement includes a lot of people with a variety of diagnoses.

sarek
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Dec 2012, 10:09 am

My ex gf was dx ed with schizophrenia but also has an earlier dx of bipolar. I believe the schizoaffective subtype may fit her better.

Together we went through a 3 year rollercoaster of many low but especially so many wonderful amazing highs, but at some point early this year her problems caught up with her in such a bad way that she felt she had to cut off our relationship.

What beyond reality

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 3:30 pm

My current diagnosis is Schizoaffective and Anxiety NOS. I feel however I have traits that are not covered by that and are being ignored. My special interests for example I've been told that it's in the normal range of behavior, I'm just passionate about things, It's caused by the mental illness, and the weirdest one was when I was diagnosed with OCD centered around birds at one point.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020