Why do men want a relationship?

Page 3 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

maroptmax
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Oct 2012, 7:24 pm

Taverson wrote:
Once again, naming the 1% as proof that the human race is like how you suggest is absurd and outlandish.

The few do not represent the whole. Though in your line of thought, they do.

What percentage do you need? How about India? - a sixth of the world's population, at least. There status and wealth are extremely important in negotiating the usual arranged marriages. There we have a clear, modern example of the role of power in all human relationships - indeed, love matters not at all.

If you are willing to negate all generalizations, then you have no use for statistics - and I'm sure that there is a statistic to show how many there are who agree with you! ... Believe it or not, many momentous decisions are made, based on far smaller statistical samples than 1%.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2012, 7:27 pm

Because women are women, I guess. I dunno, it gets boring talking to your male friends about cars and playing Fallout.

maroptmax
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Oct 2012, 7:33 pm

Taverson wrote:
Do I get upset? Yes.

Do I allow myself to suffer? No.

And I have no earthly idea how I would feel at fifty.

Ask people who are 50.

I know how I felt when I was 19 and still a virgin - I wondered what was wrong w/me. I feared that nobody would ever want me. And I do not think I was unusual.

Look - it's all right. I don't think less of you b/c you've not lost your virginity. I was merely trying to answer your question about why losing their virginity was so important to most young men. I still think that my explanation rubs along the truth very closely.

Taverson
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Oct 2012, 7:38 pm

maroptmax wrote:
Taverson wrote:
Do I get upset? Yes.

Ask people who are 50.

I know how I felt when I was 19 and still a virgin - I wondered what was wrong w/me. I feared that nobody would ever want me. And I do not think I was unusual.

Look - it's all right. I don't think less of you b/c you've not lost your virginity. I was merely trying to answer your question about why losing their virginity was so important to most young men. I still think that my explanation rubs along the truth very closely.

Regardless, those people are not me. And I don't wonder what is wrong with me. Do I worry that I may never be in a relationship? Of course. Not because it means I may never experience sex, but because it means I may never be able to spend the rest of my life with a woman who would be my best friend and my lover. But I can't let it block me from living the best I know how to.

And I don't think less of myself either for not losing my virginity. :wink:

DerStadtschutz
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2012, 8:18 pm

maroptmax wrote:
maroptmax wrote:

Sex is about far more than reproduction - or even physical gratification. It is tied into the one thing that the human animal truly treasures: power.

DerStadtschutz wrote:

Um... No. I don't give a flying f**k about power, and I fail to see how sex has anything to do with power unless you're trying to rape somebody. It's about intimacy and love, and the fact that it feels really good to have my penis milked by a wet, pulsating vagina.

maroptmax wrote:

Historically - how many kings married for love?
Nowadays - how many billionaires marry w/o a prenup agreement?

If you have no position and possessions to protect, well, sure - love can afford to be blind.

DerStadtschutz wrote:

Okay, but kings and billionaires are in the minority. also, I don't know why you even brought up marriage since you were originally talking about sex itself. Anyway, a king could do pretty much whatever the hell he wants. He could have sex with anyone he wanted to. Who would say no? And what difference would it make anyway? A king would just have his guards seize her and possibly even hold her down while he has his way with her.

Kings who did "pretty much whatever the hell they wanted" very often ended up dead - or at least got forced to sign things like "Magna Carta." More than one king got excommunicated and wound up crawling up the cathedral steps on his knees to beg for forgiveness. Henry II took a sound flogging while kneeling before the tomb of Thomas Beckett - acknowledging that he, as king, was responsible for the murder committed by his barons ... History is very different from Hollywood movies. Kings could never simply do as they pleased. There was the Church, there were the nobles, and there were the people, all of whom had to be pleased to some degree. Wise kings very often played these groups off each other, which was how Henry VIII made himself the single most powerful of England's kings - but, w/in 100 years, one of his successors wound up on the block (Charles I was beheaded in 1649) because he pissed off the nobles and some of the bishops; that the people were horrified by the execution eventually allowed his son to sit on the throne. So, no, kings could never do as they pleased - and no king wanted to be thought a rapist. Their affairs were usually very carefully arranged, so that the women were indeed willing - they would get and keep houses and jewels and carriages and horses when the affair was over. If a mistress became pregnant, her children were assured successs. Many high-ranking nobles all over Europe were/are the descendants of royal bastards. The name "Fitzroy" means just that - the king's bastard.

You said that sex and love had nothing to do w/power. All I needed was one example - or two. I gave the most obvious ones. I could go on for days w/examples of how sex and marriage and love have to do w/power. One example - many powerful Wall Street executives hire a dominitrix to humiliate and even beat them. They get off on being made to lick boots and eat out of a dog's bowl. You figure out the psychology behind that ... And it doesn't have to involve explicit S & M. How many husbands w/beautiful wives pick up toothless crack whores? Thousands - every day ...

I brought up marriage because marriage does involve sex - and power!
[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

Okay, fair enough... But I was telling you what sex is about to me. Also, wall street execs, kings, CEOs, and politicians are not representative of the rest of the population. They also tend to be uncaring sadistic bastards, which is why they get so much pleasure from beating somebody.

As for husbands with beautiful wives picking up toothless crack whores, it's probably because sex with the wife has gotten boring or non-existent. I don't know why people do those things, but sex has never been about power to me. I don't care about power.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2012, 9:01 pm

1000Knives wrote:
Because women are women, I guess. I dunno, it gets boring talking to your male friends about cars and playing Fallout.

I dunno'... I might kinda' like that. ;)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiZhFeDm2K8&feature=share[/youtube]

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2012, 10:08 pm

BlueMax wrote:
1000Knives wrote:

I dunno'... I might kinda' like that. ;)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiZhFeDm2K8&feature=share[/youtube]

Actually I only got one friend who doesn't just play online FPS games all day now. Oh well. Actually I got like no friends anymore, due to me starting being obsessed with ice skating and lifting weights for my freetime and not things on 4chan or Reddit.

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2012, 10:20 pm

maroptmax wrote:
At all levels - from the top to the bottom - reputation is of great importance. Reputation as a success leads to more success. Reputation as a successful lover gets more lovers - just ask any man who has gone to a bar w/a wedding band on his finger. There are single men who put one on just because they know that their chances of getting laid go way up. "He must be good if someone was willing to marry him!"

Sad how true this is. Gf and I wore matching rings. When she put hers on, the number of men approaching her went way down. When I put mine on, the number of women approaching me went way up. Eventually she lost hers, I gave her mine to wear, and now we both mostly get left alone. With my experience, and that of the many many guys out there who report the same thing, I have to conclude that women (or at least a significant percentage of them) really do judge a mans value based on his romantic and sexual track record.

It's easy to say that those guys who've had no luck should stop caring what other people think of their virginity. And, for those few guys who are virgins and don't care, good for you. But caring what others, especially the opposite sex, think of you is just human nature. Asking them to go against that, well, it's just not gonna happen.

I agree with those who think that the bitterness these guys display is damaging this section, and I think those who call them on it are right to do so. But any discussion of this topic will be fruitless unless a few things are kept in mind. Firstly, that their status is causing them genuine distress. Secondly, that their beliefs about how their situation affects their standing are not groundless. And finally, that simply telling them that they shouldn't care is unreasonable.

And it feels pretty soft to me. 

Modest Mouse - The View

maroptmax
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Oct 2012, 4:38 am

Taverson wrote:
maroptmax wrote:
Taverson wrote:
Do I get upset? Yes.

Ask people who are 50.

Regardless, those people are not me. And I don't wonder what is wrong with me. Do I worry that I may never be in a relationship? Of course. Not because it means I may never experience sex, but because it means I may never be able to spend the rest of my life with a woman who would be my best friend and my lover. But I can't let it block me from living the best I know how to.

And I don't think less of myself either for not losing my virginity. :wink:

I'm not one for a "tip-toe through the tulips;" indeed, a teacher once said to me, "You're the type who picks flowers w/a shotgun" ... I do not want to offend people - but I do ...

You're only 20. At your age, it's unlikely that you could meet a woman w/whom a relationship would last. And time is the biggest reason for that. In other words, the real reason that relationships formed later in life last until death is that death is not so far away ... At different times in a person's life, he/she needs different things - and, sadly, getting those different things often means getting them from somebody else - somebody who has them to offer. It's not a function of how horrible people are; it's a function of how anyone changes w/experience ... Yes, you might meet that special woman w/whom a relationship would last forever - or at least until one of you was leaving flowers at a headstone. But why wait? Why not just enjoy the present? - especially since nobody but nobody is guaranteed a future? One of the quick ways to destroy a relationship is to doom it to eternity - the pressure is just unbearable! Believe it or not, it's possible to love more than one person. It's also possible to end a relationship w/o bitterness and hate. As an old buzzard, I know quite a few old buzzards whose best friend is their ex-spouse.

maroptmax
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Oct 2012, 5:08 am

mds_02 wrote:
maroptmax wrote:
At all levels - from the top to the bottom - reputation is of great importance. Reputation as a success leads to more success. Reputation as a successful lover gets more lovers - just ask any man who has gone to a bar w/a wedding band on his finger. There are single men who put one on just because they know that their chances of getting laid go way up. "He must be good if someone was willing to marry him!"

Sad how true this is. Gf and I wore matching rings. When she put hers on, the number of men approaching her went way down. When I put mine on, the number of women approaching me went way up. Eventually she lost hers, I gave her mine to wear, and now we both mostly get left alone. With my experience, and that of the many many guys out there who report the same thing, I have to conclude that women (or at least a significant percentage of them) really do judge a mans value based on his romantic and sexual track record.

It's easy to say that those guys who've had no luck should stop caring what other people think of their virginity. And, for those few guys who are virgins and don't care, good for you. But caring what others, especially the opposite sex, think of you is just human nature. Asking them to go against that, well, it's just not gonna happen.

I agree with those who think that the bitterness these guys display is damaging this section, and I think those who call them on it are right to do so. But any discussion of this topic will be fruitless unless a few things are kept in mind. Firstly, that their status is causing them genuine distress. Secondly, that their beliefs about how their situation affects their standing are not groundless. And finally, that simply telling them that they shouldn't care is unreasonable.

Thank you. Nicely put.

Losing his virginity has been a "rite of passage" for a young man for millennia.

One of the more amusing dramatizations of this is to be found in the HBO series, "Rome," wherein the "single mom," Atia, tells her reluctant-to-lose-his-virginity son, "Today, Octavian, you will penetrate somebody or I'll burn all of your books!"

And that did it.

Octavian agreed to follow a soldier whom his mother had drafted for the purpose to a brothel. There, he was offered a choice of young women and men. He picked a pretty young woman and "did the deed." Mommy Atia was very pleased. Now "baby boy" was a real man ... She was even more pleased when she thought that her son had seduced his granduncle, Julius Caesar! - how better for her son to advance his career than to be a soft, young catamite?!

... The series was spectacular. Yes, it played very loose w/the historical facts, but it captured the culture and morality of Ancient Rome far better than any other dramatization I've seen.

Rome's glorious buildings were indeed painted garish colors and everywhere defaced by graffitti. Pigs and goats and chickens did run wild through the forum. The streets were covered in mud and muck and slime (high heels were invented to keep a woman's dress from trailing in the stuff). And the Romans did indeed follow a moral code that wound up as the "omerta" of the modern mafia

... another amusing scene ... Caesar's trusted and beloved slave, Posca, goes to Atia's house to speak to her trusted and beloved slave about arranging a dinner party at Atia's house. Atia's slave worries that Caesar intends to poison all of the guests. Posca reassures his coleague that Caesar has no such intention. The coleague is relieved because dead dinner guests might hurt his mistress' reputation as a hostess!

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

22 Oct 2012, 10:53 am

Me, well, to primarily to be more accepted by society; that and I feel a little empty w/o a woman........ *sigh*

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."