Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

20 Oct 2012, 8:12 am

mysophobia: The irrational fear of germs.
---
I'll be frank; I sort of have this, but not to the degree it was some 15 years ago, nor to the degree that Howie Mandel has it (he refuses to shake anyone's hand because of this).

I ask you, do you have this? Over time, mine sort of faded away, but I will periodically clean myself a lot when the situation calls for it.

EDIT: Rephrasing the thread so people can understand it more easier.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

20 Oct 2012, 7:34 pm

Thought I'd rephrase the thread a bit. :D

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2012, 3:02 am

I had it severely when I was younger. These days I just get on with it if I get a cold or something. I was so scared of germs at one point that I wouldn't go out (3 years agoraphobic) and I wouldn't let anyone touch me, come near me etc. The weird thing is though, and I have never fully understood this, when I was at my worst I just COULDN'T wash! I think it's because my brain was saying that the bath was dirty but I am not too sure about that. OCD is a strange thing!

alex_br
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Oct 2012, 4:37 am

I don't have it at all. I can easily walk on dirty ground barefoot, shake hands and eat a cookie without washing hands etc.

What I can NOT stand, however, is having my hands visibly unclean (sweat, dirt, anything)... I must wash them immediatly or I won't be able to think about anything else.

go figure...

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2012, 5:52 am

I have something like that, but not to the extent of causing difficulty in doing everyday work/home things.

I don't like shaking hands with others though I do do it when I have to, just to be polite. I don't like touching door handles. I don't eat food that has been touched by other people's hands. I wash my hands and gargle regularly.

I also fear chemicals. I very carefully rinse soap off when I wash. I try not to use insecticide etc.

I think this germa-/chemophobia is one of the things that people around me find me odd about because nowadays I don't try to hide my phobia. I simply refuse to touch things if I don't want to.

I have no idea if phobia like this has anything to do with autism, but I wouldn't be surprised if people with autism have a tendency towards it.