Another reason why I hate having AS....

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 8:34 am

It's like Aspies appear to have every faulty trait you can think of, only they haven't really, but people just don't understand.

''I am not unfriendly, I just have trouble making eye contact with random strangers.''
''I am not rude, I just wasn't quite sure how to react to this situation.''
''I am not a sociopath, I just sometimes get bitter toward other people around me for being more socially skilled, but it's also nothing personal.''
''I am not childish, I just can't handle certain things in life what most people take for granted, and so it feels daunting for me.''
''I am not moaning, I am just expressing how I feel about something, like most people do.''
''I am not nervous, I just have a hard time putting on the right body language so I stand awkward instead, making me look like I'm nervous.''
''I'm not a stalker, I just get obsessed over a certain subject and just have to find out more, causing no intentional harm to people's privacy.''
''I'm not fussy, I'm just trying to find the right job that suits me and the employer, rather than ending up somewhere I know I'm going to struggle with.''
''I'm not weird, I just sometimes unintentionally do or say things that needn't be said.''
''I'm not vulnerably stupid, I just look shy and nervous a lot of the time.''

Living a life like this is terribly difficult, where people think you're just being an a***hole when you're clearly not. I know nobody's perfect, everybody has a small handful of these traits where they're not intentionally acting inappropriate, but it appears that Aspies do it more so. Does anyone agree, and how do you feel about it?

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 8:38 am

Here's a hint stop with the me me me me , and them them them them.

Ton's of people got problems, your not the only one.

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 8:57 am

I have been accused of using my AS an an excuse and burdening my friends-I have things that I can do and cant do-in some people traits can and tend to be intermittent like oh I do that sometimes and I get anxious or depressed sometimes and I say to them "well my traits are 24/7/365 days a year-they are constantly there and all at the same time and that is a main difference-I did not ask for this so I do what I can. Some traits I just cant help even though people say you shouldnt do that.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 9:00 am

Joe90 wrote:
It's like Aspies appear to have every faulty trait you can think of, only they haven't really, but people just don't understand.

''I am not unfriendly, I just have trouble making eye contact with random strangers.''
''I am not rude, I just wasn't quite sure how to react to this situation.''
''I am not a sociopath, I just sometimes get bitter toward other people around me for being more socially skilled, but it's also nothing personal.''
''I am not childish, I just can't handle certain things in life what most people take for granted, and so it feels daunting for me.''
''I am not moaning, I am just expressing how I feel about something, like most people do.''
''I am not nervous, I just have a hard time putting on the right body language so I stand awkward instead, making me look like I'm nervous.''
''I'm not a stalker, I just get obsessed over a certain subject and just have to find out more, causing no intentional harm to people's privacy.''
''I'm not fussy, I'm just trying to find the right job that suits me and the employer, rather than ending up somewhere I know I'm going to struggle with.''
''I'm not weird, I just sometimes unintentionally do or say things that needn't be said.''
''I'm not vulnerably stupid, I just look shy and nervous a lot of the time.''

Living a life like this is terribly difficult, where people think you're just being an a***hole when you're clearly not. I know nobody's perfect, everybody has a small handful of these traits where they're not intentionally acting inappropriate, but it appears that Aspies do it more so. Does anyone agree, and how do you feel about it?

I'm eternally being accused of all manner of things, mostly of being arrogant, unfriendly, or just plain creepy.

How I feel about it varies from situation to situation. Usually, I barely notice. However, it's already affected what's left of my career, so it's brought to my attention when it directly interferes with my life.

I just turn to my interests for comfort. Currently, I'm obsessively watching the "Hellraiser" series and building with legos.

Cheers!

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 11:51 am

Ever see this video?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBWIKPcH0Nk&feature=related[/youtube]

Seems to express much of what you said. It was very "familiar" to me, too.

Just letting you know you're not alone.

Sadly, people can be intolerant jerks, and NO ONE can ever fully understand what it is like to be inside someone else's head. Language is imprecise, even at its best. Many don't even want to try to understand.

PM me if you want to talk further. I'm not sure what else I can offer in the way of actual help, but I am here, if that helps.

Take care. :)

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17