Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

forkful_of_soup
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Oct 2012, 1:51 pm

Is it possible to have both? I was diagnosed a couple of months ago with Asperger's Syndrome and Major Depressive Disorder, but I believe I may also have ADD inattentive type. I know a lot of the symptoms overlap but I really think I have both. I'm going to talk to my therapist and psychiatrist about this next week, but I was wondering if there's anyone out there who has both diagnoses.

DaBeef2112
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Oct 2012, 3:04 pm

Yes it is certainly possible. I for one have both and from I understand its quite common.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 42 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie
AQ = 41 EQ = 9

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2012, 5:19 pm

I've been diagnosed with Aspergers, Bipolar, and ADHD (which I believe is actually ADD as the 'H' would really come from hypomania and I fit the inattentive profile perfectly whereas I don't fit the hyperactive profile nearly so well).

forkful_of_soup
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Oct 2012, 5:50 pm

Thank you...

I believe the ADD would explain the problems I've had in school. I want to try finishing my secondary education, but I think all my problems need to be assessed and treated first. Can you tell me about your school experiences and if medication helped you?

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2012, 6:58 pm

forkful_of_soup wrote:
Thank you...

I believe the ADD would explain the problems I've had in school. I want to try finishing my secondary education, but I think all my problems need to be assessed and treated first. Can you tell me about your school experiences and if medication helped you?

For me I was diagnosed with ADHD in year 10 as it had gotten to the point where my parents didn't believe I could get through year 11 and 12. I was put on ritalin, which in terms of focus was a lifesaver (in maths for example I went from a D grade to an A grade), however due to my bipolar which was undiagnosed at the time it put me in a constant state of hypomania. But yeah, even despite that without medication I would have been screwed.

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2012, 11:30 am

Simply put, yes...

Many Aspergians are ADHD.

SpiderJeruz
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Nov 2012, 11:05 pm

Yeah, man I have both in comorbidity. It's actually a pretty cool combo to have. I'm a really cool person. I just need heavy medication to stay on task and not go crazy.

forkful_of_soup
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Nov 2012, 11:11 pm

SpiderJeruz wrote:
Yeah, man I have both in comorbidity. It's actually a pretty cool combo to have. I'm a really cool person. I just need heavy medication to stay on task and not go crazy.

Which medication do you use, if I may ask? Are there any weird side effects?

SpiderJeruz
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Nov 2012, 11:14 pm

forkful_of_soup wrote:
SpiderJeruz wrote:

I self medicate with DXM (don't recommend it) right now. I'm quitting and getting on Adderall or Wellbutrin this friday, tho. I'll let you know how it goes.

forkful_of_soup
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Nov 2012, 12:24 am

SpiderJeruz wrote:
forkful_of_soup wrote:
SpiderJeruz wrote:

I self medicate with DXM (don't recommend it) right now. I'm quitting and getting on Adderall or Wellbutrin this friday, tho. I'll let you know how it goes.

I used to be on Wellbutrin for depression and it gave me horrible headaches, so I'm not doing that one. I've heard Adderall can be habit-forming, which makes me a little nervous, I hate the idea of addiction. I hope you have a better experience.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2012, 9:29 am

I was DXed as Aspergers at age 26.

I was DXed with ADHD yesterday. :(

Apparently........yes, you can have both.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)