Page 5 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2016, 4:01 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I'd like to see a game like Terraria, but with Diablo's loot, magic, and character building systems, as well as some RTS and management aspects.

Basically, when you create a character you choose one of three classes (fighter, ranger, or mage), each of which have their own skill trees, starting stats, and exclusive weapon types. Then, when you get into the game, you'd be able to gain experience from doing certain activities such as killing monsters, completing pseudo-randomly generated quests (quests available would depend on your level), building, mining, and crafting. Naturally, you'd be able to level up, learn new spells and abilities on a skill tree, and increase stats like strength, magic, dexterity, etc. You'd also be able to find, purchase, or craft weapons and armor with pseudo-randomly generated stats and abilities.

Another element I'd implement is a somewhat more comprehensive town building system, expanding on what Terraria already has. Keeping your villagers safe and happy would be an important priority, and if you do an especially good job you'll even get certain bonuses like cheaper gear from vendors. Along with simply building houses and shops, you'd also have to build defensive structures to keep monsters from invading, killing your villagers, or destroying things. You'd be able to build things like bridges, moats, sentry towers, turrets, fences, reinforced walls, and even minefields and traps. Within the vicinity of your town, you'd also be able to issue orders to your guards and other villagers.

Building on the idea of being able to issue orders to NPCs, you'd also be able to hire mercenaries to fight alongside you, a la Diablo II. Just like D2, they'd be able to gain experience, and you'd also be able to outfit them with loot that you've obtained.

Another crazy idea I just had, maybe you'd be able to clear plots of land to grow crops and raise animals, which could be used to produce food and other resources. This might be difficult to implement in a 2D environment though.

The overall design of the game would be such that it is enjoyable in both single player and multiplayer, and while the multiplayer would be geared more towards cooperative play, there would also be a PVP aspect where players could fight each other and build their own towns, even using their town's defensive structures to ward off enemy players. :twisted:

Other than all that, the gameplay would basically be a clone of Terraria. Heck, I almost wonder if all these things could be implemented in a mod.

One more thing, I'd include a comprehensive in-game guide so that you wouldn't have to alt-tab out and read some wiki in order to learn things like crafting recipes. I'd also aim for lower system requirements than Terraria, since Terraria is stupidly resource intensive for what it is. How low would I aim? Probably early-mid 2000s Intel graphics chipsets.

Alot of these things have been done by other games that are similar to Terraria (and no, I dont mean just Starbound). Heck, the bit with farms and animals, Terraria seems to be the only 2D game of this type that DOESNT do that. The mechanic works surprisingly well in 2D in most cases, really.

There's one game that's in early access right now that's promising quite alot of the things you mention here... including even the building up of NPC towns and such... but I cant for the life of me remember the name of it. It's on Steam. It looks quite promising but actual release is quite awhile off.

There's a whole ton of games like this on Steam though, some are quite worth checking out.

dan_aspie
Raven
Raven

20 Jun 2016, 4:55 am

I have an idea for an MMORPG. It'd be a mix of sci-fi and fantasy elements.

The playable races would be all animal based; canine, feline, avian, and more. Humans would feature as an antagonist. The setting is a fictional solar-system where the Human world is on the brink of death, and the Humans look for another world to "settle" (conquer). The Beast world is chosen as the most viable. The native species of the Beast world unite against the Human enemies in an all-out war. It is somewhat inspired by the "Avatar" movie (the good one, not the white-washed disaster).

Classes are mostly based on typical RPG names, but have more techno-magic traits. Warriors have a laser-sword and laser-shield, for example. Warlocks manipulate space, Paladins use photonic (light-based) weapons, Ninjas use stealth cloaking technology, and more. The Beast world is quite advanced as a result and, unlike the Human world, is a nice place to be. Almost every race would have access to every class, except where it wouldn't make any logical sense to allow a combination.

From what I've read not many like a long, drawn-out leveling experience. In my game starter tutorials would exist, but they can be skipped if so chosen. Almost every activity would yield experience towards the level-cap; questing, mob kills, dungeons, etc.

Bosses in dungeons would not behave like those in many other MMOs. There would be mechanics, sure, but I mean that there'd be no emphasis on the "holy trinity" seen in other MMOs like WoW. Everyone would be responsible for himself/herself - no reliance on healers or tanks as such. Outside of dungeons, there would also be world bosses, which require a large group of players to even stand a chance against. And they (the bosses) would be HUGE!

Content would also scale as you level-up, hopefully providing a challenge and preventing "face-rolling" earlier levels. If you're Level 50 and you venture into a Level 14 area, that zone will scale-up to Level 50. When in a party it will scale-up to the party member with the highest level.

The world of the game would be as huge as possible. As open as an MMO game world can be. Beautiful landscapes, a variety of environments, a day-night cycle, and more. In order to limit loading-times as much as possible, dungeons would not be instanced at all. Transport to and from long distances would be very fast. If you play WoW, picture the current aerial transport speed multiplied by about 300% and you've got an idea of what I'd be aiming for - VERY FAST!

So to sum up:
- massive open-world environment
- dynamic events while questing
- gigantic world bosses
- almost no loading times
- open-world dungeons
- a much-less human-focused character cast

It'd be an ambitious project, for sure.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2016, 8:11 am

beakybird wrote:
Crafting traps and weapons, securing food and water and resources for shelters, defending against animal encounters. Coming across discarded garbage and things to be scavenged. Just like a survival show but in game form, and there is no ending. Just a "high score" element of how long you can live for.

I had a lot of ideas for a game like that, but it seemed far too ambitious, and I couldn't imagine there's much of an audience out there for games like that, so I never really started working on it. Was going to be inspired by the I Am Legend novel, but I think something inspired by early American settlers would be interesting too (and I have a lot more resource material for it)...I was always fascinated by the backstory in Phantasy Star Online, so I thought something like that would be really cool.

I need to come up with much smaller ideas so I can actually have a finished product before I become burned out on it =)

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2016, 6:54 pm

Misery wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I'd like to see a game like Terraria, but with Diablo's loot, magic, and character building systems, as well as some RTS and management aspects.

Basically, when you create a character you choose one of three classes (fighter, ranger, or mage), each of which have their own skill trees, starting stats, and exclusive weapon types. Then, when you get into the game, you'd be able to gain experience from doing certain activities such as killing monsters, completing pseudo-randomly generated quests (quests available would depend on your level), building, mining, and crafting. Naturally, you'd be able to level up, learn new spells and abilities on a skill tree, and increase stats like strength, magic, dexterity, etc. You'd also be able to find, purchase, or craft weapons and armor with pseudo-randomly generated stats and abilities.

Another element I'd implement is a somewhat more comprehensive town building system, expanding on what Terraria already has. Keeping your villagers safe and happy would be an important priority, and if you do an especially good job you'll even get certain bonuses like cheaper gear from vendors. Along with simply building houses and shops, you'd also have to build defensive structures to keep monsters from invading, killing your villagers, or destroying things. You'd be able to build things like bridges, moats, sentry towers, turrets, fences, reinforced walls, and even minefields and traps. Within the vicinity of your town, you'd also be able to issue orders to your guards and other villagers.

Building on the idea of being able to issue orders to NPCs, you'd also be able to hire mercenaries to fight alongside you, a la Diablo II. Just like D2, they'd be able to gain experience, and you'd also be able to outfit them with loot that you've obtained.

Another crazy idea I just had, maybe you'd be able to clear plots of land to grow crops and raise animals, which could be used to produce food and other resources. This might be difficult to implement in a 2D environment though.

The overall design of the game would be such that it is enjoyable in both single player and multiplayer, and while the multiplayer would be geared more towards cooperative play, there would also be a PVP aspect where players could fight each other and build their own towns, even using their town's defensive structures to ward off enemy players. :twisted:

Other than all that, the gameplay would basically be a clone of Terraria. Heck, I almost wonder if all these things could be implemented in a mod.

One more thing, I'd include a comprehensive in-game guide so that you wouldn't have to alt-tab out and read some wiki in order to learn things like crafting recipes. I'd also aim for lower system requirements than Terraria, since Terraria is stupidly resource intensive for what it is. How low would I aim? Probably early-mid 2000s Intel graphics chipsets.

Alot of these things have been done by other games that are similar to Terraria (and no, I dont mean just Starbound). Heck, the bit with farms and animals, Terraria seems to be the only 2D game of this type that DOESNT do that. The mechanic works surprisingly well in 2D in most cases, really.

There's one game that's in early access right now that's promising quite alot of the things you mention here... including even the building up of NPC towns and such... but I cant for the life of me remember the name of it. It's on Steam. It looks quite promising but actual release is quite awhile off.

There's a whole ton of games like this on Steam though, some are quite worth checking out.

As odd as it may sound, I'm actually more interested in the "Diablo" elements of what I proposed than in the city building or RTS elements. I tried to find a game combining Terraria and Diablo once, but I was unsuccessful. :(

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2016, 10:44 am

I'm surprised nobody has made a game based on my idea: a riot/vandalism simulator. Sure, there are countless 'sandbox' games where you can go wild but the emphasis on my idea is trashing a city and it staying in that shape. It wouldn't have to be (physically) violent either and could be rated "T".

RavenScrawl
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Jun 2016, 6:56 pm

"Sleepwalker" - Single Player Stealth Puzzle
In Sleepwalker, players must protect a comatose girl, Annabelle, from slipping into an unending nightmare as she makes her journey from the dream world to the real world.
Players must, in order to save Anna, move the environment around her to block threats rather than controlling Anna herself. In order to succeed, players should block, distract, destroy, and generally keep nightmares away from Annabelle.
Nightmares would come in many different forms, each with their own quirks that would require players to adapt. For example, Jumpscares would move quickly, but only periodically. Tortures, on the other hand, make slow but constant progress, requiring players to constantly keep checking on them.

Let me know what you think of this!

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2016, 3:07 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
KagamineLen wrote:
I would create a slasher movie video game where one plays as the slasher and the AI has the same intelligence as the stoned and horny camp counselors in those movies. The boss fights will be against the Final Girls. Then we create absolute nihilism by defeating them. Here we go, a truly grim slasher movie scenario.

There was a multiplayer Quake mod like that back in the day, I think it was called Horror Show. The graphics were a little crude, but it seemed like a pretty fun idea. Bunch of people trapped in a mansion with a crazy killer, and there's a few "weapons" you can find around the house to try to fight back with. One of these days I'd like to give it a go with some real people instead of bots.

Looks like a similar game just came out, Dead by Daylight: http://store.steampowered.com/app/38121 ... 1_4_4__122

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2016, 8:12 am

beakybird wrote:
I always wished they made a in depth survival simulator. There are many games with a survival element (thinking Fallout 4 survival mode) but I'd want the game to revolve around staying alive for as long as possible. Huge open world, but no towns, just maps in different environments.

Crafting traps and weapons, securing food and water and resources for shelters, defending against animal encounters. Coming across discarded garbage and things to be scavenged. Just like a survival show but in game form, and there is no ending. Just a "high score" element of how long you can live for.

May be slow and have a limited audience, but I'd like it.

Congratulations, it exists and is on sale right now on Steam

There has been many pure survival games during the years, remember one for Windows (around the time of 98/ME/XP) that looked almost like the sims that had you planning what every survivor should do every day, if they got into trouble you could control em directly, think it was called - wait for it - "Survivor" :)

Abyssalrider
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Jun 2016, 1:31 pm

i have a whole world with history dating back over 4k years prior to the start, based on an RP game my friends and i would do during recess in 2nd-4th grade, that now continues as online RP. the scale of the world and the detail i came up with the history arguably comes close to rivaling that of well established RPG franchises (in my opinion) but it does get very dark. started out as a book idea i began writing at 13 in 2006, then expanded into wanting to make it into a game and movie franchise as well while still controlled by myself. But i don't think it's ever going to get off the ground, as the backstory for the main character and his 7 friends which make up his "squad" (character personalities based on my friends and i, backgrounds on our RP stories) gets pretty dark real quick. Only ever wrote 6 pages, and looking at it now, i find myself thinking "what the hell is wrong with me to come up with this at 13?" but regardless here it is. Two-thirds of the listed events are intended to be accomplished by the end of the first book. I have a whole series of like 9-10 books all planned out, but i'm too lazy to try finishing it.

After they were taken from their families at four years old, then trained and experimented on for nine years in a prison-like academy designed to train the ultimate soldiers which surrounds a 200 mile wide forest which regularly acts as the training grounds full of deadly obstacles, and creatures that kill anything they see. Eight boys making up the highest scoring squad in the academy decide to make their escape, determined to bring down the man responsible and free the planet from his iron-fisted reign of terror and hate. Upon discovering they possess the ability to control the elements during the escape these young heroes learn they are the reincarnations of a group of heroes who lived over four thousand years earlier. Now they must learn to master their powers, search for the amulets and gear wieldied by their respective warriors said to grant their chosen hero absolute control over their abilities while doubling the strength, and quickly find allies to begin a rebellion if they hope to survive long enough to free the planet.

dan_aspie
Raven
Raven

29 Jun 2016, 12:06 am

It is very possible that the MMORPG genre is dying out, so I'd like to somewhat-revise my earlier post. If Overwatch is as popular as has been said (certainly looks that way), then perhaps a game in that genre would be ideal.

It would be a game in the same genre as Overwatch (MMOBA? MMOFPS?).

- A roster of characters as long as League of Legends and DotA 2 combined!
- Maps of varying sizes and environments, and the ability for players to make their own and share them online.
- Multiple game modes; Deathmatch, Capture/Defend, Horde (fight a huge swarm of enemies, ala CoD's Zombies mode) and more.
- A shop that sells cosmetic items only (skins, etc).
- Servers in major areas of the world (US, EU, Korea, Australia, and more).

It's a new idea, so it's a work-in-progress for me.

Apparently MMORPGs are a risky investment for game companies these days. They'd be more likely to develop a title like Overwatch than a title like World of Warcraft, or so I've read.