Page 6 of 7 [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

MadHatterMatador
Raven
Raven

19 Oct 2014, 6:17 pm

Fnord wrote:
It seems the general consensus is that AS does not correlate with poor hygiene.

It seems like the responses here are a lot higher in favor of poor hygiene than they would be if you asked NTs. Correlation doesn't necessarily mean it has to be a majority. If 10% of Aspies have poor hygiene, while only 1% of NTs do, that's a pretty strong correlation.

Mine used to be worse than anyone's in the thread so far, including the OP. For me with showering and teeth brushing, it was a lot about not wanting to be taken from what I was already comfortable doing at whatever time, not knowing when to do it, and not wanting to initiate the process, worrying about if it was okay to do so at whatever time. When I did want to do it, I would get on a schedule for like three days and go back to my normal ways. I might've showered and brushed my teeth on average once a month, rarely used deodorant, and worse the same clothes for days in a row. Now, I shower, brush my teeth, floss, use mouthwash, use deodorant, and wear clean clothes every day. If you had told me a year ago that a year later I'd be in the habit of doing all of that I never would've believed you.

AQ: 46

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2014, 8:36 am

MadHatterMatador wrote:
Fnord wrote:
It seems the general consensus is that AS does not correlate with poor hygiene.

It seems like the responses here are a lot higher in favor of poor hygiene than they would be if you asked NTs. Correlation doesn't necessarily mean it has to be a majority. If 10% of Aspies have poor hygiene, while only 1% of NTs do, that's a pretty strong correlation.

Mine used to be worse than anyone's in the thread so far, including the OP. For me with showering and teeth brushing, it was a lot about not wanting to be taken from what I was already comfortable doing at whatever time, not knowing when to do it, and not wanting to initiate the process, worrying about if it was okay to do so at whatever time. When I did want to do it, I would get on a schedule for like three days and go back to my normal ways. I might've showered and brushed my teeth on average once a month, rarely used deodorant, and worse the same clothes for days in a row. Now, I shower, brush my teeth, floss, use mouthwash, use deodorant, and wear clean clothes every day. If you had told me a year ago that a year later I'd be in the habit of doing all of that I never would've believed you.

That's excellent news!

r2d2
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2014, 9:35 am

I feel intolerably unclean both inside and out unless I shower at least twice a day. I am a terrible housekeeper though.

- Albert Einstein

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

20 Oct 2014, 3:34 pm

My hygiene's decent but I don't shave the best due to having a tremor disorder & a low vision disorder.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2014, 5:24 pm

Mine is horrendous for a number of reasons:
1) Couldn't be bothered, really.
2) Too much hygiene is bad for you. Removing the natural acid mantle of the skin allows bacteria, viruses and contaminates to penetrate the skin. This is why people with hygiene OCD's get such bad infections - and why they've recently reviewed hand-washing techniques to exclude soap.
3) My skin is dry and very sensitive. Showering every day exacerbates the problem.
4) I hate everything about showering.
5) A cleanse using the oil-pulling method suits me better and keeps my skin healthy. I use olive oil and coconut oil with lemon juice added for natural deodorising. I wash my hair twice a week (in the sink, not the shower) with the coconut oil/lemon mix and baking soda.
6) Commercial hygiene products drive me insane with itching. I also can't stand the scent of many of these.
7) No one has ever commented negatively on my hygiene. I never smell bad and I try to keep my fingernails and teeth clean at least.

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2014, 6:01 pm

Not to sound gross, but I don't shower regularly. I don't like the feeling of deodorant bars, and the spray makes my nose and throat burn. I haven't brushed my teeth in years because my mom said that she'd tell me to brush them, only for me to go into the bathroom and forget what I was supposed to do. Seriously. With that said, I have bad teeth that are going to get pulled and replaced with dentures. I also find shaving my legs difficult because of poor motor skills and not being able to get the back of my legs. Plus, I have dry skin on my knees that the razor can cut easily.

NiceCupOfTea
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2014, 6:09 pm

My hygiene is better than it used to be. I was particularly bad about brushing my teeth. I never brushed my teeth when younger and honestly don't know how I didn't notice how rank it was. Needed several fillings in my teens, but I still didn't really adopt a daily brushing habit until my 20s. Now I scrupulously brush my teeth twice a day. I find it the most boring task in the world, but I'm motivated to stick to it because I'm scared of losing my own teeth and ending up with dentures. As it is, I'm self-conscious about my teeth and wish I could afford the £1000s it would require to fully fix them up.

I shower every 2-4 days depending on what I'm doing. I don't know how people can have showers 2x a day; it would ruin my skin if I did that. Even showering once a day is too much for it. I have tried a daily shower and just ended up with blotchier, itchier skin and an exacerbation of the small patches of eczema on my face. Luckily I don't have a sweating problem, so I don't feel sweaty and grimy after 24 hours.

In between showers, I'll sometimes wash the areas more prone to smelling, e.g. armpits, crotch. I use an antiperspirant as well. I don't like being too hot, so I'm very rarely sweltering under layers of clothing.