Why I think retro gaming is better than modern gaming

Page 3 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Grand_pilot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Nov 2012, 1:57 pm

I miss jumping/side-scrolling platformers . Aside from Mario you don't see a lot of those anymore do you?
Another reason i prefer retro games.

eelektrik
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 3:23 pm

Grand_pilot wrote:
I miss jumping/side-scrolling platformers . Aside from Mario you don't see a lot of those anymore do you?
Another reason i prefer retro games.

I've heard good things about Rayman Origins, but you're right. Not many sidescrollers these days. I would kill for a new 2D sidescrolling Metroid.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 4:49 pm

I grew up with 'retro games' (90's one's mainly... makes me feel old!). I played SNES at my aunt's house and Sega Megadrive at my friend's house. My favourite games were the Sonic ones and Mario ones. I quite liked the PS1 although some of the games were glitchy. Originally when the N64 came out I hated it, but that was because I had very sensitive eyes and the bright colours and 3D worlds totally overwhelmed me. Later I bought one of my own and turned the brightness down on my TV! The newest three consoles I have got are the PS2, Gamecube and Xbox. Apart from the PS2 which we got new as a Christmas gift, The other two were second hand. £35 and £10 respectively! I still prefer the side-scrollers to the 3D games, but some 3D games have grown on me. I don't really like the new gen consoles much but it's more price related than whether I like the games or not. When the next gen comes out and this lot go down in price I might think about it! For the time being I will carry on buying old xbox games for under £10! (unfortunately I didn't buy many games for the GC as it has become 'rare' so all the games cost a bomb!)

The only new game I play is on the PC and it is the Sims 3. Although I love the game, I get very dissappointed with the amount of glitches and bugs in them. I don't remember the older games having this many problems. I think game developers are in too much of a hurry to release the new titles and aren't taking the time to find these bugs.

CrazyStarlightRedux
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2012, 9:35 am

You guys really need to look around for great retro like games this gen...if you are looking at CoD, Gears and Uncharted as an excuse, you are doing it so very wrong. :roll:

2D doesn't necessarily mean "retro", some 3D games to me feel very retro. Ever played the first crash game? That is hard as f*** and it's a good platformer! (albeit glitchy), and I am warming up to "future classics" such as Jet Set Radio Future (a platformer where you need to spray graffiti on gang members or walls doing every trick in the book to get to a few!?!

So yeah...I do like my retro games but this gen has provided me with quite a few offerings also!?!

Rorberyllium
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2012, 11:50 am

I feel sad about the death of local multiplayer. Online multiplayer isn't nearly as fun or satisfying.

Also the death of proper portable gaming. 3DS and Vita are just console games for portable devices. Portable games used to be designed around portability and I feel like GBA was kind of the last generation for this. The DS did have an awesome library of games though.

Also the death of JRPGs. :(

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

14 Dec 2012, 4:49 am

What else in gaming has died out, I wonder......

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

JPanzer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 9:39 am

I like retro games, but I disagree that retro gaming is better as a whole, especially with regards to some genres: like simulations!

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

14 Dec 2012, 9:44 am

@JPanzer: Agreed, to an extent.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 11:02 am

i can reccomend dig and rig as a good pseudo retro game, all 8bit and absolutely wonderfull.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.