Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Jabberwokky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Oct 2012, 5:31 am

Sensitivity or lack thereof is an aspie thing, I have very itchy skin. I have thought it might just be my skin and not aspie trait at all However, I have this problem with rude and/or inconvenient itches.

Examples follow.
1. If I pick up a large,heavy and unwieldy objects, I invariably get an intense itching of my nose or eyelids.
2.If I am the focus of attention or in a situation were an unbecoming action would be noticed, I invariably get an intense itch in the scrotum or anus area. Now, when I say an intense itch, I mean an itch that I find very very difficult to just endure. Its really not acceptable to simply reach in and have a good scratch around those parts of the anatomy.
3. When driving, I get itches in my toes. Now, its not easy to reach down, untie the shoelaces, get the sock off and have a really good scratch.

I have been monitoring this for a long time and am still not sure if these itches are simply more prominent in my mind because of their inconvenience or whether I have some sort of neural/neurotic tendency to develop rude/inconveniently located itching.

Does anyone have this problem or possibly be able to throw some light on the matter? I have no idea if it is related to AS or not.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 7:40 am

I get itchy all the time for no apparent reason, although I haven't kept much track of when and what I was doing when I itch, it just seems to happen, except when I'm out shopping and a spot on my leg under my jeans is itching like crazy and sometimes I scratch so many times the skin is all red and blotchy when I get home. It also happens a lot while I wash dishes, it's been that way since I was a kid and washing dishes was the one chore I completely hated and still do. Just a couple of days ago my neck, scalp, shoulders and upper back were all extremely itchy even after just taking a shower and I was still that way going to bed and it made it hard falling asleep. My vacuum cleaner was broken so I was worried about the air quality of my home and dust mites and pet dander from my two cats floating everywhere in my room. I've blamed the itchiness on dry winter air, damp humid air, soaps and shampoo, and many kinds of clothing but I think the real reason is that I'm allergic. To LIFE. I also got itchy just writing about this, ever notice how that seems to happen? *scratches leg*

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 1:09 pm

I was on medication that made me get an itchy rash in an inappropriate-to-scratch-in-public area and sometimes if I wear clothes I haven't worn in a while, I itch (and sneeze) when I put them on. And I have something like eczema between my fingers that itches like wild when I get certain things on it, or sometimes for no particular reason.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 1:09 pm

I have this problem too

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 1:22 pm

I have a similar problem. I very often itch and will get at least one "inappropriate itch" when I go out. Today I had an itch "down there" in my pharmacology lecture, it was awful.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 1:49 pm

Excuse me, I have to reach for my paper tissue and rub my face... there.

Now. Often before I fall asleep I have a really bad itchy feeling on my face, and sometimes in other areas too, including neck, shoulders, chest, and private parts. During the night mostly private parts. I use two paper tissues, one is left, the other is right to my pillow, so that I can use a different one for upper and lower body parts. Using paper tissue is essential, if you want to avoid transmitting germs and making the situation worse.

Probably the skin on my face itches because I very often rub my face with my hands during the day, it's one of my favorite stims. I don't know about the others... :roll:

Jabberwokky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Oct 2012, 3:41 am

But ... (teachers always said I mustn't start sentences with 'but' or 'because') ... I have enjoyed all of our inputs into this matter, however (see I didn't say 'but' :lol: ) I am still none the wiser concerning whether these strategically inconvenient or rude itches are Aspergian or a problem for all?

It appears to me that the particular location of the itches (in my case) are far too coincidental; its simply not rational to my mind to say that the particular location of these itches is coincidentally inconvenient. They seem to occur in particular locations because of the awkwardness of reaching to said regons and/or because of the socially unbecoming consequence thereof.

Any thoughts? <scratch> :bounce:

Substantially_Abstract
Raven
Raven

25 Oct 2018, 9:24 am

I just had really bad itches at night the last few days and I also have dry/flaky skin. Legs, that part, back, even head. I think I have some bites, but am not sure those are bites. Some are puffy, like mosquito bites, while some are small red spots.
Whenever I get those itches, I always worry it's 'cuz of some insect/parasite, like clothing lice, skin mite or normal lice, but I don't have nits and changing clothes or washing doesn't always work :( (Also, putting my clothes on my brother's bed doesn't make him itchy) :?
The annoying thing is that my parents don't pay attention to this, so for me 'tis still a mystery, to what it actually is...

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 Oct 2018, 11:56 am

Anxiety that you're going to get an itch at a certain time and place can trigger an itch response, so the mind and anxiety does play a partial role.

I tend to get itches in various parts of my anatomy from time to time. A suitable medication such as Allergex usually helps and is more effective in my case, than using a lotion or moisturizer.

Itches can be annoying! There are many different factors in our environment that may trigger them.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

sunshinescj
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Oct 2018, 7:49 pm

Yes, I deal with this too. If I am hot, for example, out in intense sun, my whole back starts itching. Also my itches tend to last for a long time, like I will often have an itch in the same spot for a week or more.

Canadian Penguin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Oct 2018, 9:26 pm

I've had a horrible problem with itchiness for the longest time. I know full well that there is no physical cause for my itchiness, but it happens all the same and I still try and put cream on the area.

Since I changed some medication, it's nowhere near as intense right now.

If I'm in a situation such as a meeting with my boss (when I was working) I would always get an itchy face. I was forever touching my face, it's a wonder why nothing was ever said.

I also tend to be very sensitive to anything like fur or hair stuck between my face and my glasses. Even the tiniest bit drives me nuts.

Then there's getting my hair cut. I can feel where the hair is longer while they're doing it. (Sorry, I've meandered off topic)

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2018, 8:55 am

I have this problem, too. It's really annoying. I get itchy just reading this thread. Power of suggestion.

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2018, 4:55 pm

Have you tried the home remedy saline rinse? Mix 2 cups, also known as 475ml of warm water (that was boiled first to sterilise it), with half a teaspoon of salt. Some recipes specify to add half a teaspoon of baking soda too.

Suck up the mixture into a dropper bottle. Lie down, tilt back your head and drop the mixture into each of your nostrils several times. Inhale in the mixture and after a minute or two blow your nose. Wash the bottle in soapy water after each use. You can buy empty dropper bottles online.

Also have you tried moisturizing your skin by rubbing coconut oil on the itchy areas? Dry skin can be a cause of itchiness. Not sure if these will work but they're worth a try!

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

28 Oct 2018, 6:10 am

I had VERY BAD skin eczema as a kid. I scratched aLOT which made me bleed & the sores itched even more so I kept scratching them. Being outside in the summer made me itch more cuz Louisiana is VERY HOT & HUMID, certain clothing made me itch more(rough fabrics & tags), & stress made me itch more. I kind of outgrew it in my teens but it started coming back since I moved 6 years ago. I mostly itched around my ankles, knees, & elbows but nowadays my hands itch too. I think our heater drys out my skin cuz it's a floor furnace(we're trying to move for lots of reasons so our next place hopefully won't have that). My hands are really dry lately. The docs & dermatologist recommended moisteners & creams but I HATE the feel of that stuff so I would fight my parents like hell whenever they tried to put it on. The one thing that really worked on my skin as a kid & teen was Cortizone shots or steroid packs which I only got when my skin was really bad. Nowadays I'm on Xyzal/Levocetirizine & Singulair/Montelukast which help my itching alittle bit but I'm on those meds more for nasal allergies & sinus problems. I've been taking Prednisone for like half a year now & that helps my itching some but my skin is still kind of bad in a few spots & I've gained alot of weight & have high cholesterol & blood sugar which may be related to that but I've gotten out of the habit of exercising & started binging so that's probably alot or maybe all of it. I really need to start getting in better shape.

As for as inappropriate itching, I couldn't really scratch my ankles & knees too well in skewl because my skewls had uniform policies & I had to wear long pants. The itching was one of the reasons I always wore shorts at home & wore shorts almost all the time when I went out during winter(I only wore pants when I had to because it was really cold or because I was going to some special social event like wedding or funeral). I have to wear long pants alot more when going out nowadays that I live in Vermont. My balls also itch some but I think that's mostly because I shave them(my crotch itched more running/waling track in PE before I started shaving & so did my armpits & they also sweat less since I started shaving so they/I don't smell as much either). Another reason my balls itch sometimes is cuz I get jock itch very occasionally.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition