Job interviews and feeling like criticizing the interviewer

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Christopherwillson
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 12:04 pm

Hey people, I recently turned 18 and am searching for jobs but every job I find talks about workers in a condescending manner and it really annoys me, they speak about us like we need them more than they need us and it really annoys me. Most of the emails I receive aren't even friendly and a majority don't even mention the name of the person I'm mailing with. The critic in me gets really mad over such things and I feel like mailing their bosses and request a takeover of their jobs. How do I turn an interview in a home run without feeling like a weak human being desperately in need for money or without offending everyone. I don't like to lie and feel as if honesty would be a well appreciated trait in people. But hey, who am I.

Also, I look very young for my age and feel as if people would send me walking because they wouldn't want their clients to deal with childish looking adults, what do you think?

I really want to be good at this but it's so difficult and I refuse to be treated like a weakling.

Aspie score: 182-200

Don't know what to say.

Dannyboy271
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Oct 2012, 12:52 pm

Hahaha, I feel the same way getting certain interviews. It all depends. I'm used to asserting some sort of authority over every soul who tries to do the same. Just be honest, don't be a douche, and be even more brutally honest. Don't be afraid to say they're ticking you off, but don't act like a first-place hotshot. If your curious about your young appearance then ask the interviewer about it. The more honest and straightforward you are, the more they'll respect you, and even so want to hire you. Though I know some employers like to hire pawns, just stay confident. Basically put yourself on the same level they are, because if you feel your not as low as their making you to be, then don't be. Show the confidence that's worth the money, because if you feel like you are, then you probably are. (But if they hire you remember to CONTINUE showing your worth.) Anyway, remember not to fake confidence, because none of us are able to lie or fake anything anyways, so they'll notice off the bat. Just don't hold your toungue is what I mean. (Unless your going to demand a job or insult them, but we all know that's a bad idea.) Make sure to look at em in the eye-area when you ask questions too. It show's confidence in what your saying.

I don't know how much of this you already know, but have-at-it! Can I ask how you get interviews so frequently though, because based on what I read it seemed so. Which country are you located?

Christopherwillson
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 1:03 pm

Dannyboy271 wrote:
Hahaha, I feel the same way getting certain interviews. It all depends. I'm used to asserting some sort of authority over every soul who tries to do the same. Just be honest, don't be a douche, and be even more brutally honest. Don't be afraid to say they're ticking you off, but don't act like a first-place hotshot. If your curious about your young appearance then ask the interviewer about it. The more honest and straightforward you are, the more they'll respect you, and even so want to hire you. Though I know some employers like to hire pawns, just stay confident. Basically put yourself on the same level they are, because if you feel your not as low as their making you to be, then don't be. Show the confidence that's worth the money, because if you feel like you are, then you probably are. (But if they hire you remember to CONTINUE showing your worth.) Anyway, remember not to fake confidence, because none of us are able to lie or fake anything anyways, so they'll notice off the bat. Just don't hold your toungue is what I mean. (Unless your going to demand a job or insult them, but we all know that's a bad idea.) Make sure to look at em in the eye-area when you ask questions too. It show's confidence in what your saying.

I don't know how much of this you already know, but have-at-it! Can I ask how you get interviews so frequently though, because based on what I read it seemed so. Which country are you located?

Thanks for the great advice, I live in Belgium and never finished high school but I'm just good at selling myself, it's not like I'm finding jobs that everyone wants, like cleaning houses. Another job I just found is doing the administration for a daycare centre for people with autism and I'm exactly what they need. There's a few jobs I have to choose from right now so it's getting difficult, I feel like picking the job closest to me and where I'm enabled to climb the corporate ladder. I just have to remind myself that they're above me if I ever get those jobs and that it's crucial not to offend anyone while still putting myself out there and stirring the pot a little.

Don't know what to say.

IrishTusk
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Oct 2012, 3:19 pm

Quote:
they speak about us like we need them more than they need us and it really annoys me.

Because we do need them more, You're only 18 give it two years and it'll sink in just how much you do need them more. There could be 4 jobs going, Yet easily 30 interviews. I went from being a Barman to being a Binman because the wage and hours were double, However there was 21 jobs going, In the space of 6 hours they were all taken.

Christopherwillson
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 3:26 pm

IrishTusk wrote:
Quote:
they speak about us like we need them more than they need us and it really annoys me.

Because we do need them more, You're only 18 give it two years and it'll sink in just how much you do need them more. There could be 4 jobs going, Yet easily 30 interviews. I went from being a Barman to being a Binman because the wage and hours were double, However there was 21 jobs going, In the space of 6 hours they were all taken.

I never said that we didn't need them, but they're trying to make as much money as possible for their shareholders and we are trying to make as much money for ourselves, we both need each other and therefore they should treat us as with as much respect as they would give to anyone else.

I'm sorry for your bad experiences, I wouldn't consider it that bad here in Belgium compared to your location.

Don't know what to say.

kistrale
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Oct 2012, 8:09 am

Quote:
Also, I look very young for my age and feel as if people would send me walking because they wouldn't want their clients to deal with childish looking adults, what do you think?

I think you need to learn how to groom like a mature one .

Quote:
Hey people, I recently turned 18 and am searching for jobs but every job I find talks about workers in a condescending manner and it really annoys me, they speak about us like we need them more than they need us and it really annoys me.

You are still young and you're finding job right now . Hmm , have you tried the job search sites?

Christopherwillson
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 8:53 am

kistrale wrote:
Quote:

I think you need to learn how to groom like a mature one .

Quote:
Hey people, I recently turned 18 and am searching for jobs but every job I find talks about workers in a condescending manner and it really annoys me, they speak about us like we need them more than they need us and it really annoys me.

You are still young and you're finding job right now . Hmm , have you tried the job search sites?

Yes, I have. But that's not the concern.

Don't know what to say.