do you think i make a good point?

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 2:48 pm

Society and men in general view women as "delicate, fairer sex and needing too be protected". Do u agree that some women take advantage of these rights by being very rude too men?

Its just that I am one of those people that want all humans too be equal and not be treated better than another because of gender. In general I dislike how society treats men compared too women

Do u agree?

patdbunny
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Oct 2012, 2:53 pm

I think men have basically been emasculated. They're treated like dirt. Like women don't need them.

I still like having doors opened for me, chairs pulled out, etc. But it seems women now a days are contemptuous of those behaviors as though they feel men are treating them as "inferior" and "incapable" with these courtesies.

It's too bad. There are differences between the sexes. I don't especially like the "we're all the same". We can be treated differently depending on our sex, that doesn't mean one or the other is inferior to the other.

antifeministfrills
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Oct 2012, 2:58 pm

patdbunny wrote:
I think men have basically been emasculated. They're treated like dirt. Like women don't need them.

I still like having doors opened for me, chairs pulled out, etc. But it seems women now a days are contemptuous of those behaviors as though they feel men are treating them as "inferior" and "incapable" with these courtesies.

It's too bad. There are differences between the sexes. I don't especially like the "we're all the same". We can be treated differently depending on our sex, that doesn't mean one or the other is inferior to the other.

Men are treated like dirt? That's not what I've observed. Girls are molested in public and people egg the guy on. Women who are 'sluts' ('slut' being a misogynistic concept) apparently deserve to be bullied until they kill themselves. Etc. With regard to the opening doors thing - it annoys me when people of either gender do this and expect to be patted on the back for it/get huffy if you don't say thank you. I think some guys think that if they act like 'gentlemen' then they're entitled to sex from women. Nope.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 3:10 pm

Treating women better than men is like treating white people better than black people

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 4:06 pm

Things have changed to the point that relationships themselves are expendable. Now women don't need men because women are strong and independent. Yet women want men, so the trick is to want a man while still being independent, which is barely possible. Men are obviously supposed to want women, but wanting one woman too much makes him a stalker, not wanting her enough makes him weak, wanting multiple women makes him a pig, and wanting no women makes him gay. If two people are in a relationship, other people sometimes feel like it is their right to comment on what they should be doing because of the children, or because of their financial future, etc. So relationships have become nearly impossible. They were never easy, but they were never difficult either.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 4:54 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Society and men in general view women as "delicate, fairer sex and needing too be protected". Do u agree that some women take advantage of these rights by being very rude too men?

This question doesn't even make any sense. Being viewed as "delicate, fairer sex and needing too be protected" is not a right.

J-Greens
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 5:10 pm

antifeministfrills wrote:
[ With regard to the opening doors thing - it annoys me when people of either gender do this and expect to be patted on the back for it/get huffy if you don't say thank you.

I quietly get very "huffy" with women who don't have the courtesy to show a bit of gratitude when I open doors for them, or give up my seat, or generally help them out. It's simple bloody manners because this is 'supposedly' a civilized society where people respect each other. If they feel that because they're a woman they don't have to show the tiniest amount of respect and manners then yes, I get quietly huffy. I don't make a scene out of it, because I'm a guy and I've got to act gentlemanly and leave politely, but unfortunately in moments like that, my inner self can get very angry when common decency is ignored in favour of entitlement.

But I don't bloody expect any form of sexual 'reward' when I do. It's called bloody good parenting that instilled a bloody good set of manners and respect and equality. You get treated like how you treat others. Apparently, this doesn't apply to some women.

edit:
To the OP: your point is crystal clear correct. 100%

patdbunny

23 Oct 2012, 5:14 pm

J-Greens wrote:
antifeministfrills wrote:
[ With regard to the opening doors thing - it annoys me when people of either gender do this and expect to be patted on the back for it/get huffy if you don't say thank you.

I quietly get very "huffy" with women who don't have the courtesy to show a bit of gratitude when I open doors for them, or give up my seat, or generally help them out. It's simple bloody manners because this is 'supposedly' a civilized society where people respect each other. If they feel that because they're a woman they don't have to show the tiniest amount of respect and manners then yes, I get quietly huffy. I don't make a scene out of it, because I'm a guy and I've got to act gentlemanly and leave politely, but unfortunately in moments like that, my inner self can get very angry when common decency is ignored in favour of entitlement.

But I don't bloody expect any form of sexual 'reward' when I do. It's called bloody good parenting that instilled a bloody good set of manners and respect and equality. You get treated like how you treat others. Apparently, this doesn't apply to some women.

edit:
To the OP: your point is crystal clear correct. 100%
:thumright: :thumleft:

Right there says it all: It's simple bloody manners because this is 'supposedly' a civilized society where people respect each other.

Has nothing to do with male/female etc. I open doors for others regardless of sex.

Last night a man and I "tied" at the check out line. I'm convinced he got there a nano second before I did, but he let me go first because I had a gallon of milk and he had two cans of beans. There was nothing sexual about it. It was courtesy and consideration plain and simple. . . and the milk was freezing my hands. . .

ComradeKael
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Oct 2012, 5:16 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Treating women better than men is like treating white people better than black people

Because Whites did not take Africans from their home in Africa, forced them to be slaves and then sequentially treated them as if they were nothing more than a sub-human for centuries. We could also bring up the apartheid. :roll: . There is a reason why women are offended by men pulling out chairs for them and acting 'chivalrous' as one may label it. While I am confident a man may have the best of intentions with this kind of attitude, it has become out dated and if anything is viewed as sexist. As it implies women are incapable of pulling out their own chairs, opening doors, [Insert action here]. I should clarify that I have no qualms with being polite. I try to be as polite as I can when interacting with others, but I do it because I am just that way /not/ because I am trying to court or romance anyone. If someone is nice and polite simply for the intent of intercourse; Then I would not hesitate to say the action is motivated by selfish interest.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 5:22 pm

I don't think that, generally speaking, women take advantage of or act rudely to men. That said though, I do think that many women take advantage of certain 'out of date' social rules. What I mean by that is that since then, women have been fighting for equality in pretty much all aspects of life, and for all extents and purposes have gained it. The only large-scale issue remaining in my opinion is the gender pay discrepancy, which honestly never made sense to me in the first place.

That's all really a great thing and I am a strong supporter of gender equality, but at the same time that women have been gaining ground in all of these areas, they haven't necessarily been fighting for equality in dating. For example, it is still expected for the man to make all the advances, pay for everything, open doors, buy engagement rings, and all that jazz. A long time ago there were valid reasons for many of these (ex.: if a woman can't actually get a job, how would she pay for anything?), but nowadays they're largely just remnants of older social conventions. There's actually a good article I read recently on it at: http://goodmenproject.com/gender-sexual ... rketplace/. And it's written by a woman so you can't say it's just a bunch of men whining lol.

J-Greens
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 6:38 pm

Chivalrous, Manners, Politeness, Decency, Courtesy, Equality, Gentlemanly, Respect...it's all the same thing really, so no offense to you ComradeKael, but bloody hell. Sexist?!

Is this the new feminist crusade, wiping out the fundamental structures that hold our society above mere animals?! :roll:

ComradeKael
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Oct 2012, 6:56 pm

J-Greens wrote:
Chivalrous, Manners, Politeness, Decency, Courtesy, Equality, Gentlemanly, Respect...it's all the same thing really, so no offense to you ComradeKael, but bloody hell. Sexist?!

Is this the new feminist crusade, wiping out the fundamental structures that hold our society above mere animals?! :roll:

They are not the same, Sir. Assuming that women are dainty and weak and in need of a man to take care of everything is sexist.

patdbunny

23 Oct 2012, 6:59 pm

ComradeKael wrote:
They are not the same, Sir. Assuming that women are dainty and weak and in need of a man to take care of everything is sexist.

I'm 5', 110#, heft about 25#, if my life depended on it I could heft 50#. I'd consider myself dainty and weak. Would much rather a man come move my 125# hay bales for me rather than do it myself. . .

ComradeKael
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Oct 2012, 7:01 pm

patdbunny wrote:
ComradeKael wrote:

I'm 5', 110#, heft about 25#, if my life depended on it I could heft 50#. I'd consider myself dainty and weak. Would much rather a man come move my 125# hay bales for me rather than do it myself. . .

Individual case. I was referring to as a whole. Sexism is also behavior which fosters stereotypes of social roles based upon gender.

SickInDaHead
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Oct 2012, 7:15 pm

Mindslave wrote:
Things have changed to the point that relationships themselves are expendable. Now women don't need men because women are strong and independent. Yet women want men, so the trick is to want a man while still being independent, which is barely possible. Men are obviously supposed to want women, but wanting one woman too much makes him a stalker, not wanting her enough makes him weak, wanting multiple women makes him a pig, and wanting no women makes him gay. If two people are in a relationship, other people sometimes feel like it is their right to comment on what they should be doing because of the children, or because of their financial future, etc. So relationships have become nearly impossible. They were never easy, but they were never difficult either.

We're finished when the day comes they invent a disembodied self propelled penis that can still pay the mortgage. :P

A lot of times I don't want any women, because they are a huge hassle, but that does not "make you gay" but I see how society treats such cases based on assumption: you are not chasing skirts so therefore you are gay. I remember when a buddy and I used to hang around a lot and we seldom chased skirts (though we had girlfriends from time to time). Everybody's like "they must be gay". It was rather insulting though. I mean seriously, you ever seen my friend I'd say I could do much better. :)

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 7:42 pm

ComradeKael wrote:
J-Greens wrote:

Yes.

Holding the door for someone behind you so it doesn't slam in their face= manners.

Pulling out a seat for a woman because she's too helpless and dainty to do it herself = sexist.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I