Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

shukri
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Dec 2006, 8:22 am

Hi there. Made a few posts, but totally forgot to introduce myself.

I'm Shukri, a 32 year male, South African, self-suspecting aspie, currently living in Denmark. I studied zoology at uni (dropped out just before finishing my Masters), and I currently work as a programmer. I guess I'm fairly autodidactic - taught myself to code, play the guitar, speak Danish, such like. My biggest interest is probably music - some of my earliest memories are of rummaging through my dad's music collection. I listen to mostly metal, but I like other "serious" forms of music like classical, darkwave, and some "emo" rock like Kent and Coldplay. Basically, if its either really aggressive, really sad or really epic, I'm there.

Most of my life these days revolves around writing code (in almost all my free time too). I've played in several bands over the years, but for the past 8 years or so I've worked more or less solo, collaborating with a few people over the internet. I find it much easier to work this way, as there's no uncomfortable social interaction, and I can usually set clear rules about what I want/expect, and everything's very upfront.

I enjoy watching stuff like Mst3k (collected them all), and I can generally be convinced to watch any sci-fi, fantasy or cheesy horror. I loathe movies which have realistic portrayals of emotional or physical suffering (dogma films, exploitation, etc). I like collecting things ... music (of course), old pc hardware, movies, insects, band fliers.

I've been in a stable relationship for the last 10 years with a woman who's not AS, but is definitely not NT either. Don't know what she's got, but it makes it really easy for us to live together without getting on each other's nerves too much. I've never had too many friends - at the moment I don't think I have any. The old ones moved away / got left behind, and I replenish my friend pool at the rate of 1 every 5 years or so, so its slow going :)

Anyway, that's me in a large nutshell. Nice to see so many aspies gathered in one spot. I've been lurking on the forums for a few weeks, and this seems like a great community. Glad to meet you all!

hyper_alien
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2006, 9:07 am

hi and welcome to wp

Revenant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2006, 9:16 am

Hi and welcome to WP! Its nice to see more musicians around here! I live in Norway, so its not that far away :P

Enjoy your stay here at WP :)

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2006, 10:39 am

Hi shukri, and welcome to WP.

JJ
Toucan
Toucan

14 Dec 2006, 12:35 pm

Hello shukri. Welcome. Your life will never be the same from now on.

What do you code? ;)

shukri
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Dec 2006, 7:58 pm

JJ wrote:
Hello shukri. Welcome. Your life will never be the same from now on.

What do you code? ;)

Hey :)

I write in C# these days - did a lot of Visual Basic a few years back, but can also find my way around Java and C++. I'm working as a web developer at the moment, doing browser-based games, but I've also done a lot of Windows application development, as well as database design (TSQL). I really love databases ... I realized a long before I started programming (ie 5 years ago) that storing, organizing and disseminating data gets me off :)