Godspeed You! Black Emperor/Post-rock in general

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Rorberyllium
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2012, 7:06 pm

I figured since Godspeed You! Black Emperor recently reunited now would be a good time to bring them up and talk about post-rock in general. I've been getting back into it in a big way.

The genre was kind of this big thing from around 2003 to about 2006 and then all the bands seemed to disappear off the face of the earth. It's so weird to see a genre go from obscurity to rising popularity to complete irrelevance in such a short timespan. I always tell people that post-rock died when Korea Has Nukes broke up.

Any post-rock fans on WP? Bands like Godspeed, A Silver Mount Zion, Do Make Say Think, Explosions In The Sky, Mogwai, Korea Has Nukes, Sigur Ros. I find it to be very awesome and soothing music to read or meditate or fall asleep to.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2012, 9:20 pm

I love GYBE! I didn't hear they're back together.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2012, 1:49 pm

I see Swans have a new album out too.

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2012, 11:14 am

Quote:
I figured since Godspeed You! Black Emperor recently reunited

8O

Quote:
I see Swans have a new album out too

Fantastic, glad to see it wasn't just a cash in re-union tour

Taverson
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Oct 2012, 12:44 pm

Does God Is An Astronaut or Emancipator count as postrock?

Rorberyllium
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2012, 2:20 pm

God Is An Astronaut yes. I'm not familiar with Emancipator.

Taverson
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Oct 2012, 2:27 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f02bAEGMYFQ[/youtube]

He also has all of his work on Bandcamp where you can stream for free (though to download you have to pay except for a three track sample he has available for free).

www.emancipatormusic.com

Click Here for Emancipator's Official Bandcamp Page

Wikipedia says he's trip-hop but I have no idea what that means. Plus it's Wikipedia.

Opeth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Oct 2012, 3:25 pm

Laz wrote:
Quote:
I figured since Godspeed You! Black Emperor recently reunited

8O

Quote:
I see Swans have a new album out too

Fantastic, glad to see it wasn't just a cash in re-union tour

Ha that sounds pretty unlikely for Swans, I mean Swans really?

I'm seeing them next year.

Rorberyllium
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2012, 9:36 pm

That song sounds like Bittersweet Symphony in a slightly different key.

It's trancey, trippy, triphoppy, I don't know if it really qualifies as post-rock though.

Rorberyllium
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2012, 9:48 pm

Yeah the new Godspeed is amazing and everyone should check it out. The whole album is available to listen to on YouTube.

It's two songs they've been playing live since 2003 with different titles and slightly altered arrangements, and two droney/soundscapey pieces. I absolutely love the way everything builds up, and it feels like they've gone in something of a heavier direction as well. It's as great to rock out to as it is to sleep to.

Opeth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Oct 2012, 4:02 pm

It is great, yes! Amazingly it leaked the same night that it was announced that they were selling it at their live shows.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 10:28 pm

I have trouble finding a lot of "dark" post-rock bands that are as creative and unique as GYBE was. There's Swans and there's a lot of sound-scapey metal bands. The problem is I don't think I'll ever be able to acquire a taste for metal vocals.

Rorberyllium
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 12:30 am

Wish I could find Korea Has Nukes music anywhere 'cause they fit that description nicely. They were a duo, a drummer and a bassist, the bassist did a lot of interesting things with effects pedals and such. Their music was pretty dark and moody in nature, and sort of captured feelings the way Godspeed does.

Trouble is they basically disappeared off the face of the earth. They broke up and their myspace was replaced by a new band that featured the duo and a singing guitarist and was some kind of emo-pop. There's nothing on youtube except a joke-video a friend of the band made. I was friends with the drummer but I lost contact with him a long time ago and can't seem to find him anywhere. It's one of those things that'll probably only exist as a memory in my head.

graywyvern
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 10:46 am

i'm very happy about this. it seemed for awhile all the artists i liked from the 90s had gone stale, & nothing new was very original.
but i've been finding out about new genres in the past couple years, & this gives me hope.

there is always good music being made, but our present system makes it hard to find out about.

reasoning." --William Blake

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 1:24 pm

Rorberyllium wrote:
Wish I could find Korea Has Nukes music anywhere 'cause they fit that description nicely. They were a duo, a drummer and a bassist, the bassist did a lot of interesting things with effects pedals and such. Their music was pretty dark and moody in nature, and sort of captured feelings the way Godspeed does.

Trouble is they basically disappeared off the face of the earth. They broke up and their myspace was replaced by a new band that featured the duo and a singing guitarist and was some kind of emo-pop. There's nothing on youtube except a joke-video a friend of the band made. I was friends with the drummer but I lost contact with him a long time ago and can't seem to find him anywhere. It's one of those things that'll probably only exist as a memory in my head.

If I knew how I'd try to compose my own music. Unfortunately I don't know how to play any instruments. There really aren't any other bands I've heard that combine eerie minimalism and ambiance with reverb-laden Ennio Morricone inspired soaring melodies to the same effect as GYBE.

Aperture
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2013, 11:48 pm

Anyone listen to Tortoise? I haven't heard a ton of their stuff but I have had an older album of theirs, Millions Now Living Will Never Die, for a long time. I think it's one of the best things I've heard in the area of post-rock, etc. (although I'm by no means an expert on that genre). Here's a song from the album:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yomowCF5icY[/youtube]