Marijuana legalization on the ballot in three states.

Page 4 of 6 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 12:07 pm

visagrunt wrote:
I find it disturbing that there is a belief that we can meaningfully quantify the "danger" of various substances, and then engange in some type of scaling based on that quantification. I am further disturbed that the only standard on which these comparisons are being made is lethality.

The lethality of peanuts is directly related to the incidence of autoimmune response to them. Leaving aside accident, the lethality of peanut ingestion is entirely coincidental with a propensity of adverse reaction. If you are not sensitive to peanuts, then there is not meaningful lethality. If you are sensitive to peanuts, then there is potentially no safe dose. To put it simply, the lethality of peanuts has to do with the person, not the peanut--what is perfectly safe for over 98% of the population is deadly to less than 2% of the population. Nothing will ever make the peanut dangerous to the 98% who have no immune response to it.

On the other hand, with drugs, the effects are more universal. Everyone who takes LSD is affected by it. There is still an issue of degree, to be sure, but no one is immune (so far as I am aware) to its effect. Now that doesn't, in and of itself, make LSD more dangerous. But hallucinogens do present increased danger of collateral injury. And like the peanut, for a very small percentage of people, LSD can exacerbate other conditions.

None of which demonstrates that one is more or less dangerous than the other. I don't give my patients a hard time for marijuana use, provided that they do not present a respiratory disorder or an immune disorder. But just as I would tell the 1% of the population who have a confirmed peanut intolerance to avoid peanuts, so too i would advise the small percentage who have immune disorders to avoid marijuana. Simple as that.

And let's be clear. When I give advice to a patient, or when a pharmacist does so, we are professionally responsible for the advice that we give. And we professionally misconduct ourselves if we subordinate that professional responsibility to other motivations. But a lay person who is pursuing a political agenda is free to tout marijuana as a panacea and has no responsibility to the people who receive that advice. If an oncologist wants to prescribe marijuana as an appetite stimulant to a patient undergoing chemo, then I would never second guess that oncologist's opinion (unless the patient asked me for a second opinion). But I would not extend the same respect to an opinion rendered generally, or an opinion rendered by a lay person.

It is only the individual who can make a meaningful determination of what is safe and what is harmful. And that determination should be made with the best information possible, and that includes talking with a knowledgable professional like a physician or a pharmacist.

same feeling i get from my local physician and i would trust his advice any day,

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 9:09 pm

So I-502 passed in Washington, and Colorado passed prop 64. I'm wondering what the Feds will do.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 10:18 pm

MDD123 wrote:
So I-502 passed in Washington, and Colorado passed prop 64. I'm wondering what the Feds will do.

Well, let's see if those states rights conservatives have our backs on this one - or if they're going to take the damn family values line.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

07 Nov 2012, 11:27 pm

MDD123 wrote:
So I-502 passed in Washington, and Colorado passed prop 64.

VICTORY! :cheers:

Now WHERE is ValentineWiggin when you need her? :P This is truly the beginning of the end for the drug war.....I will thoroughly rejoice the day that I read/hear on the news that the DEA ceases to exist from thence forward.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

08 Nov 2012, 3:27 am

This is going to be rather interesting for my state (WA) and CO; legalizing marijuana. I was for it; even though I have never tried myself. But, on that note, I ask those who opposed it: Has ANYONE ever died using marijuana? NO. A resounding NO.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHGt9yY__K4[/youtube]

The above video, is something lighter. :D

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 12:30 pm

DerStadtschutz wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
DerStadtschutz wrote:
I think it's important to point out the fact that nobody has ever died from smoking too much pot, yet people have died from drinking too much water. That, and it's physically impossible to even smoke the amount needed to kill you in the amount of time required to give you the concentration of a lethal dose of THC...

WATER is more dangerous than marijuana. And that is a 100% true fact. I don't give a f**k HOW ridiculous it sounds, nor do I care that water is essential to life. It doesn't change the fact that it can kill you. FACT IS STRANGER THAN FICTION...

QUICK!! ! LET'S ALL OUTLAW THE EVIL WATER!! !

Well aside from being able to die from drinking too much water at once, people can drown in it as well so it is far easier to die from water than it is from marijuana.

Exactly... So technically, water IS more dangerous than marijuana, and coffee is water plus tiny particles of coffee, so coffee is ABSOLUTELY more dangerous than marijuana. So, if marijuana is to be banned, let's ban water, coffee, tobacco, alcohol, and a whole shedload of other things.

No, I don't actually mean we should ban any of these things; quite the contrary. Nothing should be banned. Even in the case of extremely dangerous and addictive drugs, they should be legal. It's your body, and you should have the choice to do what YOU want with the damn thing. Most of the troubles associated with drugs are caused by the fact that they're illegal in the first place. people wouldn't be robbing old ladies and beating the sh** out of each other to get heroin if you could just go get it at the store or make it yourself at home. Gangs wouldn't be killing each other over drug-selling turf if you didn't need to find a dealer in the first place. All the anti-drug laws does is force people who wish to do them to deal with the real criminals, the dangerous ones. It also causes people to get ripped off and burned, which causes people to want to go cause the ones who ripped them off harm. It causes violence and all other kinds of crime. Look at what happened with prohibition of alcohol. It's the same concept.

If you wish to destroy your own body and life, that should be your choice, and it already is, with other things like alcohol and tobacco. So, you can't even try to pretend that the laws are there to protect us. There's zero consistency. sh**, look at how many idiots end up killing each other every year from auto accidents... But are cars outlawed? WHERE'S THE CONSISTENCY!?!?

Oh by the way, marijuana is not a drug. It is an HERB. And also, most LEGAL drugs are just as bad if not worse for you than the ILLEGAL ones. That, and THC and CBD(the two active compounds in cannabis) have been PROVEN to be therapeutic. In addition to this, and because of this, the pharmaceutical industry has been trying to find a way to alter those compounds in a way that allows them to patent them and use them in "medicine." But, guess what? The medicines they made do just as much harm as good, if any good, and I'm pretty sure they found out it can be lethal.

I agree, though I would add I think problems with drugs or addiction should be treated as a medical issue not a legal issue. For instance if all the drugs were legal then its likely there would be less stigma about using them, more accurate information out about them and the lack of stigma would make it is easier for people who do develop a drug problem to get help if they so choose. States attempting to legalize marijuana is a good first step but prohibition in general does not seem to work well, seems to contribute to more problems then it supposedly fixes.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 12:30 pm

AspieRogue wrote:
MDD123 wrote:
So I-502 passed in Washington, and Colorado passed prop 64.

VICTORY! :cheers:

Now WHERE is ValentineWiggin when you need her? :P This is truly the beginning of the end for the drug war.....I will thoroughly rejoice the day that I read/hear on the news that the DEA ceases to exist from thence forward.

That would be a good day indeed.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 12:44 pm

They can still fire you if you don't pass the drug test.

alex
Developer
Developer

08 Nov 2012, 12:47 pm

It's been legal in my state for medicinal use for years.

Mom: 'Marijuana Saved' Autistic Son's Life: http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=9153881

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 12:55 pm

It amazes me that the Doctor's would rather see that child dead so the child can avoid being a stoner.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 3:00 pm

Washington is a half hour drive, this is going to be sweet!

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 4:23 pm

I sure hope they pass it here in CA although I dont smoke it very often even though it is good for my anxiety and calms me down. I think everyone should beable to use it fully if they want to kind of like booze only done responsibly.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Last edited by AspieOtaku on 08 Nov 2012, 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 4:39 pm

We almost got Medical marijuana passed,lost by 5,000 or so votes.I hope people weren't to stoned to realize it was election day and vote :lol: Well get it next time,It might have helped us if years ago Pres.Clinton would have just said"Hell Yeah! I inhaled!!"

slave
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 7:56 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
Pot can trigger LSD flashbacks.

I request proof of same.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 8:40 pm

Over the last 3-years, I've moved from Oregon, to Colorado, to Washington. It's like every state I live in tries to legalize weed.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 8:56 pm

Please move to my state in four years,you seem to be a lucky charm. :lol: