WTF! does my coming off as intelligent scare people?

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 3:10 pm

The only thing I can think of is perhaps to ask someone you trust to make a recording of you. Someone with a camcorder/phone while you know about it and then watch it later to see if you realise what is going on. Perhaps wrong/lack of facial features?
:shrug:

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 5:39 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
So if I think about this too much I will have to keep in mind that I am possibly screwed already, though I wasn't diagnosed with anything....either way I already know they could easily just see everything as symptoms of whatever disorder seems to be likely. Then I can probably except forced ECT or something f***d up like that. Anyways Two appointments isn't long enough to diagnose anything so if I don't go to anymore I doubt I have to worry about any of that.

I hope I don't just end up getting even more screwed up just for trying to get help for issues I have. Hmm, but not getting any help also has some bad risks as well........so yeah don't really know what to do other than not continue going to that therapist.

Warning, this is long but it's also got a somewhat related story of psych and DHR corruption down here in there too.

They don't use ECT for HPD. I don't think there is even any need to have a court order to medicate them or to commit them. From what I understand, they aren't actually dangerous to others or to themselves. Some make suicidal gestures and accidentally die from it, but I don't think they do much for HPD except talk therapy and maybe treat some comorbids. I think the main thing HPD's do is just annoy the sh*t out of everybody else and cause problems and drama everywhere they go, so thats not a reason to do anything legal to them.

The only way you would be screwed is if he dx's you with HPD and you actually have something else and he doesn't treat you for it. Did you say once that you were bipolar, or was that somebody else? I believe you can have both bipolar and HPD, so he would still treat the bipolar in the normal way. He would probably just not take very much you said seriously if he dx's you with HPD.

I'd really suggest you do some Googling and look it up so you can find out more about it. Of course don't tell him you;ve been reading about psychology lol. But if you know what it is, how it looks, etc, you'll know what to avoid so that he won't mistake you for it.

As for two visits not being able to dx somebody, baby please. Maybe *accurately* dx somebody, but down here DHR (Child Protective Services) sends every parent whose kid they remove even temporarily, to a psychiatrist, where they give them tests and a psychiatrists asks them a few questions and then they leave. The doc makes his report and there is usually a dx. There was a big stink about that several years ago. Psychiatrists were dxing all kinds of things after simply reviewing a written test the patient took, giving the patient physical tests like ink blots and puzzles to put together, and then asking them questions about their life and situation for less than an hour. Diagnosed and in the State Govt records to boot! So yeah, they can dx you in two visits if they need to, with just about anything, but reputable shrinks don't do that, only the ones whose paychecks are written by the people who want them to find something wrong with everyone they send in, so that they don't lose a case and get sued, etc.

Of course I'm not at all defending child abusers, I'm sure theres something bigtime wrong with them all right, but there was a news story about them finding disorders in normal, functioning women without criminal records or a history of drug use after they had removed their children due to things that the parents had nothing to do with, such as a grandparents drug use and the child was at the grandparents house and the parents did not know, or extreme poverty when the children were taken away when the single mother went to try to find help from shelters and such. They may have changed the way they do it down here now, I don't know, I didn't follow the news about it, but it was a big stink.

I know they diagnosed one woman who was a single mother of 3 or 4 kids, I don't remember, with antisocial personality disorder because she had an evening job as a security guard, 3-11 and lived in the projects in Southtown (really bad projects) and the lady in the apartment next door kept her kids for her while she worked and the mother paid her for it. She was a grandmother who had custody of her, I don't remember the number right off, but it was 4 or 5 grandkids and I can't remember where ther mother was, but she wasn't around at all. One afternoon when the neighbor had her grandkids and her neighbors kids she was sitting outside with some other neighbors and lots of kids were playing and one of the ladys little boys fell down playing and cut his head on the sidewalk. That's all. The grandmother took him to Children's to get stitched up, just like she was supposed to do, but she took him on the bus because he didn't need an ambulance, and she couldn't take all those kids with them on the bus and watch them and the little boy with the boo boo. The oldest one was the grandmothers girl and she was 11 and had watched the kids before, hell the girl had babysat for neighbors herself. There were no infants there or anything and the girl knew exactly what to do and plus there were a couple more grandmothers and mothers right there in their building that they knew and the grandmother had arranged for one of them to check on them every so often. Everything was fine.

THe grandmother took the boy to Childrens which isn't far away at all but the wait time is terrible. She was there about 3 hours still in the waiting room and told the nurse that she had more kids at home and she needed to get back because her 11 yo grandaughter was watching them. Now, she wasn't worried about the girl not watching them, but she would need to do her homework and get a bath and all. The grandmother just wanted them to hurry up and see them and then go home. Well the nurse asked the address and sent the cops out to check on them. Everything was fine, but the cops were as*holes and because the kids were there with an 11 yo girl in Southtown they called DHR. The mother got home from work and DHR was there still, waiting for her to tell her what happened and they informed her that she had been leaving her kids alone with a woman who was too old to properly care for her own older grandkids and they were taking them into temporary custody.

Security guard Mom was a big woman now, Sweetleaf. And by big I do not mean fat. I remember seeing her on the news and she was a man sized woman. Pretty lady and all, but man sized and when the DHR lady tried to put one of the kids in the car, Mama decked her. Knocked her out too! See, that DHR lady had told her she wasn't going to give her any information about where they were going or anything, she would have to see the judge. Mama had also said then if the neighbor wasn't capable, she would gladly take off work and find a day care somewhere even though it would be hard to afford it. She was home and didn't see why they couldn't leave her kids with her where they were safe. DHR lady told her no I guess, cause she go knocked out when she tried to grab one of the kids.

Now, lots of people fight when DHR takes the kids. It's common. They usually have them talk to a doctor in jail and lots of times they calm down and the charges are dropped unless they hit a cop or something and she didn't do that. DHR went after her. They tried to sever her parental rights and all that. Huge long deal, but the thing you're interested in here is she saw that one day doctor too and on the basis of one visit, she was dx'd with antisocial personality disorder. That's a sociopath. They do try to not let them keep kids or nothing. The kicker is that she had never been in trouble, good grades, church goes, drug tests at work and all always clean, never a problem. She hit this lady who was trying to take her kids for something she didn't even do and wasn't wrong to begin with. Law at the time said you got to be 12 to watch kids in the house alone. One freaking year. Neighbors were interviewed by the news and testified in court and all said the grandmother was perfectly capable Never a problem. She wasn't all that old, in her 60s. She got custody of her grandkids back too, but the mom spent I don't know how long fighting it and I don't remember how it turned out, but I do remember that other docs said she did not have it.

So, that was that. But yes, in that amount of time, they can decide to write down whatever they want, whatever suits them, whatever they are told to, or what they truly think you have, which hopefully is what you do have. It's not like it's an exact science, but I do believe it works most of the time when there's no corruption involved.

But check out HPD so you'll see what I'm talking about. Don't let the security guard Mama story scare you, you aren't in that kind of situation, but I told it to you to give you an example of how oh yes, they can f*ck somebody up royally if they have a reason to. They don't do it to you if they don't like you either, I remember asking L if she thought they ever did that and she said no, because if they did that then no borderlines would be outside of Bryces (the State insane asylum) LOL. I do think you can figure out what he's gonna be looking for if you do the research, and you can just avoid it. I don't think HPD's actually can avoid it because it's their nature.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 7:08 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
But check out HPD so you'll see what I'm talking about. Don't let the security guard Mama story
scare you, you aren't in that kind of situation, but I told it to you to give you an example of how
oh yes, they can f*ck somebody up royally if they have a reason to. They don't do it to you if they
don't like you either, I remember asking L if she thought they ever did that and she said no,
because if they did that then no borderlines would be outside of Bryces (the State insane asylum)
LOL.

Yeah... as antisocial personality disorder is rather different from HPD.
Antisocial personality disorder is when they flatout deny whacking you with a frying pan when you clearly saw the attack.
They make out all will work out better if you listen to them and no-one else...
They pin the blame on anyone and everyone but themselves when they are the ones who are to blame...
There is no guilt or shame in what they do... not even once.
There is a tendency that they can lie over and over like a song on repeat... and possibly make up another lie to cover up the original lie.

That's kind of a brief and simple explanation so people know what a form of antisocial personality disorder can be like.
I should know as I have experienced what it is like from the victim side.
I was traumatically broken down and depressed for months and I never felt so unhappy. Agonizing Pain was an understatement to how I felt...
It's like nothing ever could ever make me happy again... and I hardly ever felt unhappy before all this experience.
It took a long time for me to realise and understand what had actually occured.

Anyway Sweetleaf... I was just clarifying that antisocial personality disorder is a completely different matter altogether and like OliveOilMom said... it was an example of what they could do...
I highly doubt you would be classified as APD/ASPD at all.

Hopefully you are able to recieve the results you would like from the diagnosis...
I don't think that you coming off as intelligent is the problem whatsoever.

www.wrongplanet.net/postp5013377.html&h ... t=#5013377

Sora: "My friends are my power."

Ventus: "I'm asking you as a friend. Just... put an end to me."

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 4:27 pm

My therapist thought she had me beat as far as intelligence goes because she was also a full fledged medical doctor.

fluffypinkyellow
Raven
Raven

08 Nov 2012, 8:53 am

If I had to guess, I'd say that coming across as intelligent and coming across as scary are separate. I consider someone to be "scary" if they have a loud voice, if they don't smile, if their voice sounds angry, or if they talk angrily about other people to me. People tend to think I'm very traditional and straitlaced, then they are shocked when I do something that is neither of the above.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 12:35 pm

I don't know where some of you are getting these disorders, I have looked them all up and none really fit my symptoms I think the PTSD, Depression, Aspergers and anxiety makes a lot more sense as does every doctor and therapist I have talked to about it so far. I mean yeah a diagnoses that would cause those supposed to help me not to take anything I say seriously then the mental health system would be of no use to me......people thinking I am not serious when I am serious are likely to do more damage than good.

So hopefully things stay with in the realms of those disorders I listed. And from what I hear even a diagnoses of schizophrenia would be better than HPD, as far as treatment one would be able to get. But yeah don't think I have that either so its rather irrelevant.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 1:25 pm

I've found that being intelligent (as in way smarter than the other person) is quite intimidating to many people.

While it is possible to put them at ease--I'd expect most Aspies to lack the superb social skills needed to do that.

More likely is a social faux pax--ripping someones treasured ideas to shreds...

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 1:49 pm

BTDT wrote:
I've found that being intelligent (as in way smarter than the other person) is quite intimidating to many people.

While it is possible to put them at ease--I'd expect most Aspies to lack the superb social skills needed to do that.

More likely is a social faux pax--ripping someones treasured ideas to shreds...

I had an appointment with a different therapist, and she seems more frustrated that I seem intelligent but don't seem to know how to put it to use and seem so lost. Should tell her to read up on what people who have PTSD say it makes them feel like...tried telling her feeling empty is a key symptom of that its like you lose you are or might have been. So we came to a mutual agreement that maybe its better if I think about who I'd like to be or whatever and start more from scratch because she thinks having a more defined identity would help me.

I don't know thus far its been hard not getting rather frustrated with this therapist...but trying to give it a try.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2012, 2:51 am

One Doctor got so offended by my intelligence that she actually called a vote of her staff to see who would denounce me.

dorowsj
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Nov 2012, 11:29 am

androbot2084 wrote:
One Doctor got so offended by my intelligence that she actually called a vote of her staff to see who would denounce me.

that's quite extreme. did they really do it?
doctor as in psychiatrist?
the last one I went to was okay but he just kept prescribing prozac.
"eat the magic pill and everything will go away ~"

to be fair if one doesn't know how to even describe what he/she is dealing with, it's a bit of a stretch for anyone else to deduce, particularly if that person is already not very good at communicating emotions & possibly in denial.

but doctors who are put off by your intelligence are likely to be the ones who just slap a diagnosis on you. some of them (not all) treat medical school as a indisputable right to be always right. or at the very least, more intelligent then you.

Dannyboy271
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Nov 2012, 4:05 pm

The reason intelligent people intimidate other people is the same reason any awkward person would be afraid to jump into a random group. The people who feel lesser in intelligence really don't know what to say, because they're afraid they might be wrong, or said something that was actually stupid, and the intelligent person might judge what they said, and think they're of lesser intellect. So whenever intelligent people start talking to people who think their unintelligent, it creates a very uncomfortable situation for the supposed unintelligent person, aaand they'll wanna ditch without making idiots of themselves..
Basically fear of failure.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2012, 6:41 pm

It was very extreme of the Doctor to denounce me that way but maybe it was because I was advocating that her patients should be turned into cyborgs so they would not need wheelchairs anymore.